Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Need help to configuring Kerio Mail Server
  •  
Manugal

Send a private message to this user
Hi!

I've a problem with Kerio Mail Server. I've installed it on a Windows Server 2003 machine. I've also installed the DNS service and named domain with rfelettrica.it. Mail server works properly on sending email. The problem is on POP3. I don't understand well how configure it. Where must I go to configure it? On "Donwload POP3" section? Must I also add MX records? Where must I add them? On my local DNS?

Help, please. Smile
  •  
TorW

"Download POP3" is only used when you want to download mail to the server from somewhere else, for instance when you have dialup connection on the server.

POP3 config is done in KMS Admin under Services, but there's not much to configure other than the things you have already configured elsewhere. Just start it up and test it Wink
  •  
Manugal

Understand it. Clients use Outlook to retrieve emails. On POP3 server settings what must I insert? Moreover, don't I need to add any MX record?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2009 14:30]

•  
TorW

Just go with the default values: port 110, listen on all IP-addresses, access from everywhere and max 1000 connections.

The MX record in DNS is only used when other mailservers are trying to find out where mail to a domain should be sent. The POP3 protocol does not care what the MX record is. The only things POP3 clients need are server name (or IP) plus their own username and password.

Update: I realized you asked what you should put in the server settings in Outlook: the server's A-record as it appears in DNS (yourhostname.rfelettrica.it perhaps). This is often the same name as you have in the MX record, but not always.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2009 15:58]

•  
Manugal

Ok, thanks but these settings already are configured. My question is, what POP3 server must I insert on Outlook for a client? I don't find the POP3 server name in Kerio MailServer.

Update: OK I'll try. Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2009 16:07]

•  
Manugal

Hi!

I've tried that you suggest me, but it doesn't work. In Outlook, when I click on "Send/Receive" button, I can't receive any mail. Moreover, on Security section of Kerio Mail Server it returns me the following error:

[08/Jan/2009 20:38:15] Failed POP3 login from 10.0.0.26

What does mean?

Thanks.
  •  
Manugal

I don't know if I was clear, but this mailserver must to be accessible from external. That is, if I send an email from my GMail account to an user of rfelettrica.it, he must receive it. For this reason I've asked for MX records and where add these.
  •  
TorW

Manugal wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 21:02

I don't know if I was clear, but this mailserver must to be accessible from external. That is, if I send an email from my GMail account to an user of rfelettrica.it, he must receive it. For this reason I've asked for MX records and where add these.

The domain rfelettrica.it has an MX record in the external DNS already. In fact, it has eight!

$ dig rfelettrica.it mx

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;rfelettrica.it.			IN	MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
rfelettrica.it.        86194	IN	MX	10 mx.rfelettrica.it.

$ dig mx.rfelettrica.it

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mx.rfelettrica.it.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.166
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.72
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.74
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.151
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.154
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.157
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.160
mx.rfelettrica.it.	86374	IN	A	62.149.128.163

If you ask the DNS for rfelettrica.it's A-record, you get the same answer: eight different IPs. Further, all of these IPs are in use by aruba.it for POP3-servers and other things. Are these IP-addresses you can actually use?

Do you know what the external (public) IP of your mail server is?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 January 2009 22:43]

•  
Manugal

Ok, I see. I didn't know there already was MX records. However these are IP that actually use. Therefore it's all configured. The problem now is that "POP3 Failed Login". I've viewed on link posted by Kerio_pdobry and I find something, but in those thread users also have other problems. However, I don't use Outlook 2007. Now I can't try various solutions reported on those threads. As soon as I can, I'll try and I'll inform you.

Thanks a lot.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2009 11:41]

•  
Manugal

Updates.

I've made a mistake. I use Outlook 2007 on clients and I've readed that could be a problem. I've also installed Kerio Outlook Connector (I don't know if is necessary) but when I insert account informations and try to test connection it returns me and error like this:

"Kerio Mail Server connection failed. Check if informations entered are correct and contact admin"

What can I do? Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 10 January 2009 21:23]

•  
Manugal

Hi!

Kerio still not work. I've also tried to import users from Active Directory but problem is the same ("Failed POP3 login"). Can you help me, please?

[Updated on: Sun, 11 January 2009 13:07]

•  
TorW

KOC (or KOFF) isn't neccessary when you use POP3 to fetch mail from the server, and Outlook 2007 is not a problem with POP3.

Can you log in through webmail with the user that fails POP3 login? Remember that when you aren't trying to log in on the default domain, you may need to add <_a.t_>rfelettrica.it to the end of the username.

It looks like you have a very complex setup; a bunch of aruba.it servers answering requests on port 110 and 25, an Active Directory in the back somewhere, plus both KOC and POP3 on the client. To get through the testing phase, you should probably simplify things a bit.

Try removing all POP3 settingsin Outlook you aren't sure of, such as secure passwords, encryption and so forth. Then test again. The only thing you need to make POP3 work on the client is username, password and server name.
  •  
Manugal

Sorry, how can I login through webmail? Which address do I enter on IE7?

Update: I've tried with all clean settings on Outlook. I've also discovered that if I enter mailserver.rfelettrica.it as POP3 server, Outlook doesn't find it. If I enter only mailserver Outlook find it but returns me Server license expired error.

Update 2: I don't tell you, but I think that you deduct it. The tests that I'm conducting are on a client which is on internal LAN.

[Updated on: Sun, 11 January 2009 15:09]

TorW

Manugal wrote on Sun, 11 January 2009 14:33

Sorry, how can I login through webmail? Which address do I enter on IE7?

You use the hostname of the mail server.

Update: I've tried with all clean settings on Outlook. I've also discovered that if I enter mailserver.rfelettrica.it as POP3 server, Outlook doesn't find it. If I enter only mailserver Outlook find it but returns me Server license expired error.

Well, then the license has expired. Is it a trial version of KMS?

Update 2: I don't tell you, but I think that you deduct it. The tests that I'm conducting are on a client which is on internal LAN.

I figured that one out a while ago since your client seems to have the IP address 10.0.0.26. It doesn't matter though, because once everything is set up correctly in DNS, it should work correctly no matter where you are.

Do you understand the concepts behind public IPs and public and private DNS? And do ou have your own name server?
Previous Topic: Mail server migration strategy?
Next Topic: NEED HELP PLEASE......
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 15:40:03 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00594 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.