Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS resilience on Linux
  •  
heimi

Send a private message to this user
Hi all

We are looking at implementing KMS into our VMware ESX environment using the Linux appliance that Kerio provide. I've set up a test server and created an additional 1Tb LUN on our SAN for the mailstore.

I am looking into the best ways to provide resilience and backup for this environment and would be very interested to hear how others who are running KMS in a Linux (or ESX) environment have addressed this. I'm aware of the backup/archiving method within the KMS app, but am thinking about what else people are doing, over and above this.

TIA for any feedback.

Toby
  •  
My IT Indy

rsync to another server and use IPFailover. That's what I did when I hosted servers on Linux.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
heimi

HoosierMac wrote on Thu, 08 January 2009 12:03

rsync to another server and use IPFailover. That's what I did when I hosted servers on Linux.

Did you ever have to deploy it? Did it work? I'm surprised that a dataset as dynamic as an email server would be happy with a simple rsync process.
  •  
heimi

bump - anyone got any other ideas? Rolling Eyes
  •  
My IT Indy

KMS stores everything as individual files, so there's not a lot to continually rsync.

I didn't have to use this as I soon migrated to an XServe for this hosted server.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
etieseler

We use KMS on ESX. We backup the system using two different methods. We use EVault to backup the mail store and we also use esXpress to backup the entire VM.

esXpress is great because we can restore the VM to any location we need to. We do not need special software to restore, it creates a script to recover when it performs the backup, and the backup is essentially the VMDK and VMX files compressed.

It has worked great for us over the past year, of course we have not had to really test it, but I have used both of these products to restore other files and VM's.

If you don't want to spend the money you could just shut the VM down and scp the VMDK and VMX files to a safe location, this could probably be scripted.

PS: KMS works great in a VM! Don't make its hardware overkill, as in too much CPU and too much RAM.

Good luck!
  •  
mdhmi

I have several customers running KMS on Linux (RHE/CentOS) without issue. I have boxes that have been up for over a year without so much as a reboot.

KMS is a very stable product.

There is nothing particularly special about my Linux builds. I do minimal installs and then remove or disable unnecessary services.. I haven't tried the ESX KMS load, but that might already be striped down and tweaked for KMS..

The hardware requirements of KMS are surprisingly small. The only thing that really matters disk speed.

You might want to present a second LUN for backups just to keep that separate..

I use the built in KMS backup feature. It can do full or incremental backups using zip files.. I've always used full backups out of personal preference.

KMS also includes a restore feature for deleted mail. This can be handy for accidental deletions..

I have had to do multiple restores over the years for various customers (everything from a user completely whacking their mail to server hardware failures) and the backup/restore process did work.

Cheers,

Mark
Previous Topic: Lightning displays empty calendar notifications
Next Topic: Can you host a web site on your Kerio server?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 20:05:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00403 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.