Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Microsoft plan to drop WebDAV in Entourage update? READ THIS!
  •  
majo72

Send a private message to this user
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/06/microsoft_ews_and_dc c/                                   <--------------------------------
http://www.macworld.com/article/137950/2009/01/officeupdates .html                              <--------------------------------

"Currently, for things other than email, Entourage uses WebDav as its network protocol for talking with Exchange. According to the articles above, this is going to change later in the year when a free upgrade for Entourage is released, using Exchange Web Services. (A public beta will be available in the meantime.)

While this upgrade promises to improve Entourage performance and functionality with Exchange (such as synching notes & tasks), I wonder if it might also be an opportunity for Communigate (or a third party) to revisit Entourage support. The articles note that the number of client-server transactions for scheduling meetings will be reduced, for example. Could this simplified communication also make is easier to emulate Exchange, from the client's perspective?

This sounds like a huge backward step in standards support for Entourage. My gut tells me that EWS would actually break things that currently work with Entourage connecting to CGP. (This sounds like the tact that Evolution uses to connect to an exchange server.) I would assume that you could still use Entourage without EWS. This sounds like an API that attempts to counter those who might jump ship to Google Business Services.
Conversely the better the support that Microsoft offers for the Mac as a client platform (even though the field of client applications is limited to Entourage), the more compelling the argument for using Exchange versus Communigate. As I commented in a recent thread ("Meeting requests processed via CalDav"), groupware support on the Mac is problematic with Communigate--free/busy doesn't seem to be available
It has been a long time since I used entourage, but Free-busy did work for a while on it (but not with the CGP LDAP server, needed to have freebusyurl ldapentry). Thunderbird+Lightning is supposed to offer standardized free-busy support in the future, but when I looked before year-end, I didn't see it listed in the upcoming release features (Lightning only supports free-busy from Sun's Calendar Server currently, because Sun is a huge partner in development). I suspect that plug-ins for the OpenGroupware server would work, if it was written in a more generic way (The path to look up free-busy is hard coded in that plug-in.) I understand the desire to make things "just work", but I don't think that making Communigate a clone of Exchange is possible, since they don't really share their design specifications freely. I haven't found any RFC, standard or specification that details EWS . Not really surprising, because Apple might just integrate functionality into their mail/calendar clients, making Entourage unnecessary.
outside of the web and Pronto interfaces (neither of which is a practical solution), and the coordination of meeting requests/responses/updates places a great deal of responsibility on the client/user.

It would be very useful to hear if Stalker is planning any response to this development.

--Elliot"
  •  
Previous Topic: What are your thoughts on Entourage for Exchange services with Kerio?...
Next Topic: Mail server migration strategy?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 04:55:41 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00343 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.