Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » The KMS 6.x thread
  •  
jshaw541

Send a private message to this user
I keep hearing about KMS 6.x but haven't found any information on it. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of when it's going into beta, or when it's scheduled to be released? How about features? Anything firm? Any rumors? Screenshots?

Inquiring minds (really) wanna know.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

You could have find this on the UK site:

http://www.kerio.co.uk/upcoming_features.html

[/update]
and I found this on the dutch kerio site (www.kerio.nl):
Met de uitgave van Kerio WinRoute Firewall 6 en Kerio MailServer 6 -aanstaande lente- werken onze server producten op versies van Windows 2000 en hoger.

Translated:
With the release of KWF6 and KMS6 this spring, our server products only work on Win2k or Higher.
[/update]

[Updated on: Fri, 09 April 2004 16:25]

•  
jshaw541

Hmm, I'm in America and have been checking the Kerio US site a lot. I was under the impression that the sites were the same, but I guess not! Thanks for the information, sounds promising.

The way Kerio worded things on that page, it doesn't necessarily sound like the groupware stuff will be available right off the bat in the 6 release?

Is the new webmail system based on PHP still planned?

Any timeline?

ANY timeline? ;)

Petr, Jeff, et al, we'd love screenshots!

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
sonofcolin

If the new webmail in version 6 is PHP, does that mean that webmail can be hosted on a separate server (I would like to place the webmail directory in our comapny webserver and keep KMS for SMTP amd IMAP on a separate machine)?

Any more info?
  •  
cying

sonofcolin,

I do not understand why you would want to separate webmail from KMS. This is THE single most desirable feature of KMS that prompted me to switch from Webstar and Post.Office to KMS. Most POP servers every now and then gets "jammed" in a mailbox. Even KMS. Sometimes, a POP account will suddenly stop working with a POP client. When that happens, I use Webmail and usually find some mail "half-deleted". It has a line across but is not "expunged". Using Webmail, I or any user, can expunge that mail and allow POP to work again. With Post.Office and other POP mail servers, I ended up having to log in as admin and try to find and delete such "jammed" POP accounts.

The way most "separate" Webmail kludge works with POP mail servers is the Webmail "server" acts as a POP serrogate for you and uses POP to fetch mail for you on your behalf and then dynamically generate the HTML to act as a GUI to the POP server.

If everything works fine, there is no difference to the user. But if you have actually used such systems, it is a nightmare where there is a problem. There are basically 2 mailboxes that are supposed to be the same. One in the webmail server and one in the POP mail server. When these get out of synch, God help you.

The beauty of KMS is that the Webmail "server" is just another way of looking at the exact same mailbox that the POP server manages. WYSIWYG webmail! To my knowledge, only Webstar 4.x mail on OS9 shares this same philosophy (but nowhere near the reliability and elegance of KMS). All other mail servers came from the POP and SMTP world and then try to kludge a Webmail "front end" to their POP server with varying degrees of success.

Philosophically, Mail Servers are different beasts than Web servers. Just because they both use HTTP to communicate with humans does not make them "the same". Traffic patterns, backup schedules, and other considerations are different between a www server and a mail server. Kerio should be applauded for having the keen insight to develop a Mail Server where the web "server" is an integral part of the POP and SMTP server and not an "add-on".

I do not understand the pressure from users to force Kerio to de-couple the Webmail part from the POP/IMAP.

Thanks for helping me understand.

Charles Ying
  •  
jshaw541

Webmail doesn't use POP at all, it uses IMAP. And I reckon that some people would like the webmail component separate from the mail server for maily either load-balancing or customization.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

if de-copeling would mean that the webmail interface wil look like a regular email client such as MS Outlook.
I think it will be very great.

Quote:

New re-vamped webmail
The new webmail, written completely in PHP, will be fully customizable. The default webmail will resemble your regular email client (such as MS Outlook) and will support drag&drop, context menus, etc.

but I think PHP will be integrated into KerioMailserver, as Remote administration scripting will be available which have PHP modules.

I am realy looking forward to Kerio Mailserver V6.
but as Kerio Winroute Firewall v6 is in RC1 state, I guess it won't be long to see Kerio Mailserver v6 beta's
  •  
sonofcolin

Charles,

We don't use POP with KMS.

KMS webmail on a separate webserver has a number of advantages for us. We use Webstar with an excellent fast cgi implementation of PHP (check out keywerks.de). It makes life easier for me to monitor all port 80 and 443 traffic from one machine using our log analyzer. Our offices are in the USA and Russia. Our russian network is unable to send SMTP mail on port 25 (and I won't change the default), so they use webmail only, which works fine for them. I like to log this traffic and control access accordingly, so I know only 1 domain should be accessing webmail.

It isn't essential to have KMS webmail as a separate entity. I would however like to have the choice. I know there are many PHP webmail based solutions available which would allow me to do just this, but KMS webmail is the best I've used so far and integrates much better (as you would expect!) with KMS.

Colin
  •  
cyberknight

For me, the decoupling of webmail from KMS is mainly for security purposes. Now my mailserver is in the DMZ area of the firewall (restricted port access), and that's actually not secure enough.

When split, I would install the webmail module on the webserver (also in DMZ), but the mailserver containing all e-mails would then actually be in the LAN network (inaccessible from the outside).

PS: this setup is comparable to the OWA functionality on MS Exchange.

I hope the groupware functionality (sharing calanders, ...) is there right from the start. Without it, I don't see the reason for Kerio to call it a major upgrade (6.0).

Peter

•  
Bryan

So.. Ive been reading all over these forums ... and as of right now ... there hasnt been one confirmed date.. Hey Kerio.. at least give us a *idea* ... all i see is that it should have been released in March... and its late now, and not even a Beta? :) c'mon .. give us a date to look forward to!!
  •  
Tr!une

RHarmsen.nl wrote on Fri, 09 April 2004 16:07

Translated:
With the release of KWF6 and KMS6 this spring, our server products only work on Win2k or Higher.
[/update]

Hmm, does that exclude the LINUX version? or is this "for the windows installs, only W2k and higher will be supported."

•  
RHarmsen.nl

Tr!une wrote on Tue, 13 April 2004 01:26

RHarmsen.nl wrote on Fri, 09 April 2004 16:07

Translated:
[/update]

Hmm, does that exclude the LINUX version? or is this "for the windows installs, only W2k and higher will be supported."

sorry i Forgot to copy-paste this:

KMS ondersteuning voor Red Hat Linux en Mac OS X 10.2 & 10.3 blijft ongewijzigd.

KMS will still be able to run on Red Hat Linux and Max OS X 10.2 & 10.3
  •  
sidbarker

Whilst talking to support today, they said it was put back to June or later now :(
  •  
mkanat

RHarmsen.nl wrote on Fri, 09 April 2004 07:07

You could have find this on the UK site:

http://www.kerio.co.uk/upcoming_features.html
[/update]

Hrm, that's a bit old, I wouldn't rely on it. Smile

-Max

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander
2nd Level Support Engineer, USA
Kerio Technologies
mkanat

sonofcolin wrote on Fri, 09 April 2004 11:02

If the new webmail in version 6 is PHP, does that mean that webmail can be hosted on a separate server (I would like to place the webmail directory in our comapny webserver and keep KMS for SMTP amd IMAP on a separate machine)?

Probably not. You could always write your own custom WebMail that uses IMAP to access the mailserver.

Also, what I'd generally recommend is keeping all your servers behind the firewall, and using port mapping to only open the ports you want to the Internet. Smile I know that this works well with Kerio WinRoute Firewall, even if it doesn't work as well with some hardware appliances.

Also, you could set up Apache as a reverse-proxy, if you really want the WebMail to "look" like it's going through another machine. It's pretty easy. Look at the ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse configuration directives. (This is also a good way to handle having multiple web servers on the same machine, on different ports, accessed through unique names on port 80.)

-Max

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander
2nd Level Support Engineer, USA
Kerio Technologies
Previous Topic: easy method for list moderator to subscribe people?
Next Topic: Special chars in domain name
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 05:38:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00623 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.