Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio in a IP Failover configuration
  •  
henk

Send a private message to this user
Hello all.

Kerio is our preferred choice at our customers for mail an calendar services. As you can see here in the (unanswered) topic we are busy implementing Kerio in more redundant situations. You can see in the topic we are having problems configuring a good replica when Kerio is involved.

Now something else. A current project involves testing and (if everything works out OK) implementing an IP Failover situation at one of our customers. Again, Kerio will be our mailserver at this site and must be configured for IP Failover too. It involves two Mac OS X 10.5.6 servers in a standard 20+ client situation with one internet connection. The main server will be handling DNS, OD, AFP en Kerio services and the second (failover) server should be handling the same of course.

Is it possible to set up Kerio in this way? Are there any documents, tech articles, tips, etc, that can point us in the right direction?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Henk
  •  
henk

•  
My IT Indy

Off the top of my head the one problem you will run into is that you will need to use rsync to clone the mailstore from one server to another with short intervals. The problem with KMS is that the backup will need to be turned off for the mailserver to recognize the new files being synced over. IPFailover will have to generate the script to jumpstart KMS on the replica.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
rkovelman

So just to be clear you have 2 locations, kerio at the primary location and you want to have kerio at a secondary location to read the same store and be a backup to the primary?

Yes that is possible but you would need to have your MX records reflect this. Primary location is a 5 the other is a 10. As far as the store goes you could use XSAN software so that 2 servers can read off one store location. You would need to have fibre solutions for this to work, which would not be cheap.

What i did was the MX with a mailbag solution so if we were to go down mail is still being received just delivered once we come back up.
  •  
henk

HoosierMac wrote on Mon, 26 January 2009 13:19

Off the top of my head the one problem you will run into is that you will need to use rsync to clone the mailstore from one server to another with short intervals.

But this wouldn't be nesecary when the store is on a shared volume.

Quote:

The problem with KMS is that the backup will need to be turned off for the mailserver to recognize the new files being synced over.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

IPFailover will have to generate the script to jumpstart KMS on the replica.

Good point. I'm guessing by generate you mean activate? Will a script to just start Kerio do or are there other things I should take into account?
  •  
henk

rkovelman wrote on Tue, 27 January 2009 05:32

So just to be clear you have 2 locations, kerio at the primary location and you want to have kerio at a secondary location to read the same store and be a backup to the primary?

Both servers are on the same location, but when the master fails the failover server should take over with full functionality.

Quote:

Yes that is possible but you would need to have your MX records reflect this. Primary location is a 5 the other is a 10.

I know about MX prioritising and I guess this would be the way to go when we are talking about two different locations, thanks for the tip.

Quote:

As far as the store goes you could use XSAN software so that 2 servers can read off one store location. You would need to have fibre solutions for this to work, which would not be cheap.

Just out of curiosity, how would two servers read from one fibre store location when they are at different locations? How could that be done?
  •  
rkovelman

henk wrote on Tue, 27 January 2009 01:51

HoosierMac wrote on Mon, 26 January 2009 13:19

Off the top of my head the one problem you will run into is that you will need to use rsync to clone the mailstore from one server to another with short intervals.

But this wouldn't be nesecary when the store is on a shared volume.

Quote:

The problem with KMS is that the backup will need to be turned off for the mailserver to recognize the new files being synced over.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

IPFailover will have to generate the script to jumpstart KMS on the replica.

Good point. I'm guessing by generate you mean activate? Will a script to just start Kerio do or are there other things I should take into account?

FYI you can not have a volume with 2 servers reading the same volume, only XSAN can do this.
  •  
rkovelman

henk wrote on Tue, 27 January 2009 01:57

rkovelman wrote on Tue, 27 January 2009 05:32

Both servers are on the same location, but when the master fails the failover server should take over with full functionality.

Quote:

Yes that is possible but you would need to have your MX records reflect this. Primary location is a 5 the other is a 10.

I know about MX prioritising and I guess this would be the way to go when we are talking about two different locations, thanks for the tip.

Quote:

As far as the store goes you could use XSAN software so that 2 servers can read off one store location. You would need to have fibre solutions for this to work, which would not be cheap.

Just out of curiosity, how would two servers read from one fibre store location when they are at different locations? How could that be done?

With a fibre solution you need to have a raid connected to a fibre switch. Then you have 2 servers connected to the same switch via fibre. You then run the XSAN software on both servers so that it can read the store at the same time. Doesnt have to be different locations can be the same one. With MX prioritizing you might as well have a backup IP in case one goes down, even if they are at the same location. If I were you I would read up on XSAN software to make sure if will do exactly what you want need it to I am just giving you the gist of it. There is a tedious setup for it which could take awhile.
  •  
My IT Indy

XSan is NOT recommended for mailstores, it's optimized for large data storage, like video files. With the millions of small files that KMS generates in the mailstore folder you will have massive slowdowns on the raid array.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
rkovelman

I would disagree but agree. Depending on how you set the LUN up and knowing of small files then it can be ok. If you set the raid up incorrect with XSAN or not you could have major slow downs. XSAN 2 will now do iCAL sharing and ical file sizes are tiny and there is no issues.

http://www.apple.com/xsan/deployments/ical.html

XSAN v1 had issues with small files but worked great with videos as well as v2. v2 has been improved.

Like i said when you set it up you need to be very careful.

XSAN 2

http://www.apple.com/xsan/deployments/mail.html

They even now say email btw.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 January 2009 16:43]

•  
henk

FYI the response I got from Kerio suppport:

Kerio MailServer wants exclusive access to the store folder so clustering/high availability require separate store folders but failover should work with an XSAN setup. What you are proposing should work provided the customer does not want to jump to clustering. We have not created any documentation for failover and I am not aware of any documentation created by a third party.
Previous Topic: Rules for outgoing messages
Next Topic: Customizing webmail login
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 02:02:31 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00515 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.