Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » RAM needed for Kerio Mail Server (Do I have enough RAM for KMS?)
  •  
plperry

Send a private message to this user
I am running Kerio 6.5.1 in red hat linux and would like to know what amount of ram does other users have? I have a virtual box with 2 cpu's and 3 gb ram and am having high i/o wait times. Wondering if it is due to virtual or something going on with Kerio.

What do other user who use linux have for cpu/ram?

•  
rkovelman

virtualization will cause high i/o's. What are you using to do this? What are the drive speeds?
  •  
plperry

We are using Virtual Iron and the drive speeds are 10k rpm Fiber Channel to a ds 4300 (fast T 600) san.
  •  
rkovelman

Never used that software so I don't know. It seems like that is the issue.
  •  
elias

plperry wrote on Tue, 27 January 2009 10:30

I am running Kerio 6.5.1 in red hat linux and would like to know what amount of ram does other users have? I have a virtual box with 2 cpu's and 3 gb ram and am having high i/o wait times.

In general, KMS doesn't need much CPU or RAM, but it does need an extremely fast disk subsystem. The high I/O wait times are most likely due to the speed of your SAN. It'd be helpful if you could give a little more information about your setup such as how many KMS users you have, how your SAN is configured, etc.... You should probably also use the tools provided by your SAN to measure disk load and make sure the SAN is healthy.

-Elias
  •  
plperry

What amount of RAM do most linux users have, without using virtualization to run Kerio Mail Server without any problems?
  •  
My IT Indy

I've run it on 512MB of ram with 50-60 users without problems. It's the disk speed that makes all the difference.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
plperry

Do you use the KOFF or IMAP to connect? What speed are your disks?
  •  
elias

I'm running a single dual-core Intel Xeon processor <_a.t_> 3.2 GHz with 2 GB of RAM on Windows Server 2003. The total memory consumption of this server including both Windows and KMS is never more than 600 MB.

My server handles about 35 heavy users and handles roughly 15,000 emails per day (including relay messages). All but a couple of my users run KOFF, and my mail store is 70 GB in size.

The key to KMS performance isn't CPU or RAM, its disk IO. If you could get fast enough disks, you could run KMS on a Pentium II with 384 MB of RAM. Here's my disk setup:

I have two disk arrays in my server. The first is a pair of mirrored 36 GB 15k SAS drives for the OS and KMS software. The second array is a set of 4 72 GB 15k SAS drives in RAID 10 dedicated for just the mail store. These arrays are hanging off a high end hardware RAID controller with 512 MB of R/W cache.

-Elias
  •  
ikheetleon

What speed value's does hdparm give on your disks?

hdparm -tT <path to device>

Regards,

Leon
  •  
fenx

I have never had any issues Kerio issues due to RAM. I have about 170 users with a majority of the connected via IMAPS. I use Kerio's integrated McAffee anti virus, and I'm running the emails against 16 blacklists. The server is used to host Kerio mail server and OpenFire IM server. My CPU stays less than 10% at all times, and my page file is virtually unused (AKA its not running out of RAM.) About 90 of the clients are off site and connect via T1 the others connect via LAN.

Server Specs:
Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 X86
HP Proliant ML350 G4p
1 x Intel Xeon 3.0GHz with HT(P4 Class)
2GB RAM (4 x 512MB DDR ECC)
320 GB HDD (2 x Seagate Barracuda ES 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache SATA mirrored)
320 GB HDD (Seagate Barracuda ES 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB cache SATA for backup)
3Ware 9550-SX 4LP RAID card (4 port SATA hardware RAID, PCI-X 133, 64MB RAM, Battery Backup Unit)
Intel PRO/1000MT Dual Port Server Adapter PCI-X (2 x 1Gbps network ports)
4.5Mbps T1 connection (3 x T1's bonded together)

However I have several Dell PowerEdge 2900's with Suse Linux Enterprise Server running VM Ware Server 1.06, and I can attest that Disk I/O is significantly slower for the VMs than on a dedicated host. However in my experiments with VM Ware ESXi the disk I/O is a lot faster (almost as fast as a non VM.)

James M. Williams
I.T. Manager
The World Of Erhard.
BMW, Land Rover, and Automark Collision.
  •  
anthony.somerset

i would likely reccomend that you either installed another 320GB drive to raid 10 your hard drives to provide 640GB of striped storage which is mirrored to the other pair of HD's

or even just raid 5 your 3 HD's for around 600Gb of storage and have the redundancy of the raid if a drive fails

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
Previous Topic: iPhone in exchange mode, mail getting "stuck"
Next Topic: Mulptiple File Attachments
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 19 21:02:23 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00551 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.