Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Automatically run at boot time
  •  
mountaindogs

Send a private message to this user
Kerio does not appear to start automatically after a reboot of the server.

In the Kerio administrator console, the services are set to automatic. Going into System Preferences, Kerio MailServer Monitor, authenticating, and then clicking Start Server gets everything running.

What is needed for this to happen at boot time? My server surprisingly sat for and hour before I got a phone call. The server was rebooted today after installing an Apple update.

Kerio 6.6.2
Leopard 10.5.6
  •  
mountaindogs

More info from the logs that show that launchd seems to be trying to launch Kerio:

1/27/09 4:10:46 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms[80]) posix_spawnp("/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/watchkms", ...): No such file or directory
1/27/09 4:10:46 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms[80]) Exited with exit code: 1
1/27/09 4:10:46 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
1/27/09 4:10:47 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.mailserver[81]) posix_spawnp("/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer", ...): No such file or directory
1/27/09 4:10:47 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.mailserver[81]) Exited with exit code: 1
1/27/09 4:10:52 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms) Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds
1/27/09 4:10:52 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms) Throttling respawn: Will start in 4 seconds
1/27/09 4:11:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms[115]) posix_spawnp("/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/watchkms", ...): No such file or directory
1/27/09 4:11:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms[115]) Exited with exit code: 1
1/27/09 4:11:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
1/27/09 4:11:05 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
1/27/09 4:11:06 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds
1/27/09 4:11:06 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.watchkms) Throttling respawn: Will start in 9 seconds

Of note this line:
1/27/09 4:10:47 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.kerio.mailserver[81]) posix_spawnp("/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer", ...): No such file or directory

Could this be a permission issue?
UNIX permissions show
drwx------ 33 root wheel 1122 Jan 27 18:32 mailserver

Get Info shows:
system read&write
everyone no access
  •  
My IT Indy

I would reinstall KMS and see if that helps. Looks like there's something wrong with the startup script

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

"No such file or directory" means the file does not exist. It looks KMS has not been installed correctly. I would recommend re-install.
  •  
mountaindogs

/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer file does exist. I would rather not install again as that is not fixing the issue, just covering the symptom.

When I installed using the provided installer, I was not provided an opportunity to choose where to install the application. At least I didn't see the option. So I allowed it to install where it wanted, /usr/local/kerio. I then moved kerio/ over to the desired location, /Volumes/data/kerio and then created a soft link.

mail:~ admin$ ls -l /usr/local/
total 8
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 20 Jan 23 19:53 kerio -> /Volumes/data/kerio/
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jan 27 2008 lib
mail:~ admin$

mail:~ admin$ sudo ls -l /usr/local/kerio/mailserver/
Password:
total 134512
-rwx------ 1 root wheel 916 Oct 15 2007 KerioMailServer
-rw------- 1 root wheel 550288 Jan 28 08:57 charts.dat

Would it be better to make the soft link a hard link? Is this launchd not handling symbolic links correctly?

[Updated on: Wed, 28 January 2009 15:02]

•  
My IT Indy

What are the contents of /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.kerio.watchkms.plist and com.kerio.mailserver.plist?

Mine look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.kerio.watchkms</string>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/watchkms</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.kerio.mailserver</string>
<array>
<string>/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer</string >
<string>start</string>
</array>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<true/>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
mountaindogs

They appear to be the same as yours.

com.kerio.mailserver.plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/
PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.kerio.mailserver</string>
<array>
<string>/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/KerioMailServer</string >
<string>start</string>
</array>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<true/>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

com.kerio.watchkms.plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.
com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.kerio.watchkms</string>
<key>OnDemand</key>
<false/>
<array>
<string>/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/watchkms</string>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

mountaindogs wrote on Wed, 28 January 2009 15:01

So I allowed it to install where it wanted, /usr/local/kerio. I then moved kerio/ over to the desired location, /Volumes/data/kerio and then created a soft link.

Well, that explains a lot. Kerio MailServer binaries must be installed to the default location. No symlinks or any other links. We do not test neither support such tricks.

The message store (which contains most of data (mailboxes, logs etc.) can be configured to use another directory or disk so it's not a problem that KMS binaries are in default location.

•  
mountaindogs

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 28 January 2009 09:37

Well, that explains a lot. Kerio MailServer binaries must be installed to the default location. No symlinks or any other links. We do not test neither support such tricks.

The message store (which contains most of data (mailboxes, logs etc.) can be configured to use another directory or disk so it's not a problem that KMS binaries are in default location.

"such tricks." Come on, that's like saying cp, ls, mv, etc... are tricks. These are basic functions of the UNIX operating system.

Moving away from symantics, I will file this away as something to remember during a reboot.
Previous Topic: Free/Busy configuration in Outlook
Next Topic: Multiple Webmail sessions displayed in Active Webmail Sessions
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 16:06:05 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00494 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.