Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Reindexing: Update (Reindexing User Folders Problem with Calendars)
  •  
jlagnese

Send a private message to this user
We are running Kerio 6.6.2 on an HP DL320S with 4 GB RAM and RedHat Enterprise 5. We have about 800 users, 98% of them use Firefox to access their mail. We had been experiencing slowness, particularly for people with as many as 50+ subfolders. Tech Support's solution was to reindex using the supplied command: "find . -name index.fld -exec perl -e '$i="{}"; $i=~s/\#msgs/index.fld/;$new=$i;$new=~s/fld$/bad/;rename $i, $new;' \;"

I reindexed everyone last night at around 9:15pm, which took about 15 minutes. The problem we are having now is that even though people login and the indexes are rebuilt, they cannot access their calendars through a web browser. The error message on the screen is "Folder index is out of date and is waiting for being reindexed. Please try your search later." The interesting thing is, if I use Entourage setup for exchange, I can see my calendars and shared ones fine, but not through a browser. It seems the only people that could access their Calendars were the ones that had Treos that accessed their accounts before they logged in with a browser. Also, anyone with an iPhone or Treo can access their Calendars fine. What makes this critical, besides the fact our chief administrator doesn't have her Calendar, our public one are not available. The only work around we have found is to create a new calendar and move or copy all data from the old one to the new one. You then have to redo all the sharing subscriptions and it seems to break iCal subscriptions. To do this, we have to login as the user. Our users are spread out over 10 facilities and number near 880. If anyone has had this happen, I'd be glad to hear a better solution.
Jim
-------------
Update
As an addendum, we reindexed an account that worked, and now it does not. It deletes the index.bad file and generates a new index.fld for the calendar, but for some reason the index does not work and the user gets the error message stated above. So, my question is, is there a bug rebuilding the index for the Calendar? Or is this a feature? Razz

----------

Update again

It seems that when people try to use distribution lists, email that gets sent is the nameofthedistributionlist<_a.t_>ourdomain.com. Of course the email address doesn't exist. This is just getting worse.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 February 2009 21:24]

•  
jlagnese

Well, I tried reindexing again, and more accounts had access to their calendars, but there are still too many people that are still getting the waiting to index error message on their calendars, their distribution lists do not work and the public calendars do not work. At this point I will probably restore from backup. The unexpected and unexplained consequences when managing this product have led me to believe Exchange would have been a better choice, and I don't like MS. Thanks.
Jim
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Folder re-indexation is an emergency procedure and has one consequence: whole mailbox structure and indexes for message list and message searching must be re-created. Creating indexes is time consuming operation and if you do it on whole mailstore, it could take many hours until all indexes are re-created. Imagine parsing and indexing of 30-60 GB of data.

In the meanwhile message searching is quite limited at that time and this also reduces features that can be used in clients.
Ie. clients like OUtlook, Entourage or IMAP clients can work with no problems but WebMail is heavily using searching capabilities when displaying and working with calendar. So WebMail needs the indexes.
  •  
jlagnese

I was advised by tech support to reindex because we've been having slow performance using a web browser, particularly with users that have large stores with nested folders, to the point where they had to quit their browsers and log back in. So are you telling me this will take 12 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours? The total mail store is over your 60 gb estimate gb and 880 users. Right now 98% use a web browser and getting them migrated to a client would be arduous at best.
  •  
jlagnese

BTW, users that are having issues already had their indexes rebuilt according to the log. What I do not understand is why some people it works, some it does not, and both would have had their indexes rebuilt.
Previous Topic: False SPAM Positives in Outlook 2007
Next Topic: imap migration with imapsync
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 09:31:09 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00421 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.