Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Unable to connect to Internet AT ALL
  •  
DonChino

Send a private message to this user
I have installed Kerio Winroute Firewall 5.1.10 on my server and I am not able to connecto the Internet from the server machine. I have not even tried from the clients yet, but if I cannot connect out then I can´t use Kerio. But it seems pretty straightforward so I have NO IDEA what I am doing wrong, since I have not CONFIGURED ABOLUTELY NOTHING... I basically install, go through wizard, then try to access the Net and NOTHING...

I have Windows 2003 Server, ICF is turned off, no other firewall/antivirus/proxy software installed, and when I uninstall Kerio I cannot access the internet. I have to delete the Dial-Up and recreate because it seems to have been modified in some way. Is there something I am supposed to do PRIOR to installaton, after installation?! Help?! Looks like cool software but can´t even use it...

P.S.
DHCP and DNS Server are on the server machine as well... SBS...

[Updated on: Sun, 11 April 2004 21:30]

•  
frankxs

By default, I believe KWF will block everything unless you make a rule to allow it.

-Frank
  •  
DonChino

Hmmm, why exactly am I posting if I have to find solutions elsewhere? Razz Seems the turnaround time on this FORUM is quite LONG, but anyway I found a solution. Kerio should really put some FAQ´s or Troubleshooting sections to their documentation to solve SIMPLE and BASIC problems, like these so we don´t pull our hair out.

Anyway, for anyone else who is having problems connecting to the Internet from the Winroute Host, here is the solution I have.

Make sure you set up Non-transparent Proxy Server under HTTP POLICY, and then go into your web browser´s settings (i.e. Microsoft). Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections and there you will see your dial-up connection listed, but most of us will have NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION set up. You will see buttons for SETTINGS and LAN SETTINGS... Under LAN SETTINGS, leave everyhing DEFAULT or BLANK... Then highlight the Dial-up used by Winroute and click SETTINGS, and you will see a section for Proxy Settings.

Enter the IP ADDRESS of the Winroute Host and the Port set up under HTTP POLICY for the Porxy Server. VOILA, I am sending this now from my Winroute Host machine and it is sweet... MSN Also works without having to make any additional changes...

Remember, I have Windows 2003 Server with DHCP, DNS, AD all set up on the same machine, and now Winroute with the DEFAULT INSTALLAITON, nothing modified and everything works on the LAN and on the server. Hope someone else finds this useful... Thanks...

PROPS to this guy...
http://www.tprthai.net/inetsh3_.htm

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2004 03:16]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

DonChino wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 00:14

Hmmm, why exactly am I posting if I have to find solutions elsewhere? Razz Seems the turnaround time on this FORUM is quite LONG, but anyway I found a solution. Kerio should really put some FAQ´s or Troubleshooting sections to their documentation to solve SIMPLE and BASIC problems, like these so we don´t pull our hair out.

Anyway, for anyone else who is having problems connecting to the Internet from the Winroute Host, here is the solution I have.

Make sure you set up Non-transparent Proxy Server under HTTP POLICY, and then go into your web browser´s settings (i.e. Microsoft). Go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections and there you will see your dial-up connection listed, but most of us will have NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION set up. You will see buttons for SETTINGS and LAN SETTINGS... Under LAN SETTINGS, leave everyhing DEFAULT or BLANK... Then highlight the Dial-up used by Winroute and click SETTINGS, and you will see a section for Proxy Settings.

Enter the IP ADDRESS of the Winroute Host and the Port set up under HTTP POLICY for the Porxy Server. VOILA, I am sending this now from my Winroute Host machine and it is sweet... MSN Also works without having to make any additional changes...

Remember, I have Windows 2003 Server with DHCP, DNS, AD all set up on the same machine, and now Winroute with the DEFAULT INSTALLAITON, nothing modified and everything works on the LAN and on the server. Hope someone else finds this useful... Thanks...

PROPS to this guy...
http://www.tprthai.net/inetsh3_.htm

Well, it seems you are not using a default gateway on your clients, right?
I think the KWF manual is pretty clear of BASIC setting of KWF (direct access to the Internet or access through the proxy server, Traffic policy wizard, etc.). There is also a Step-by-step guide.

I didn't understand why you must set proxy server for dial-up conection on the firewall machine - it does not make any sense.

Do you have the Traffic rules set correctly?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2004 08:52]

•  
DonChino

Okay, did a DOUBLE CHECK...
It seems you do not have to do anything for the WinRoute Host machine... Razz

I guess my Dial Up and LAN settings were mixed since I was using ISA Server before with port 8080 as the default...

So I guess Kerio is right, on the Host machine, you just do the wizard and the host machine connects to the Internet on its own...

Just a note, my instructions are STILL VALID if you decide to use the PROXY SERVER and want the host machine to use it also... Smile Sorry, my mistake...

Um, why cant you guys add FTP objects to the Proxy Server, would be nice to have a CACHE of stuff FTPd down. Plus, how can you filter out downloads based on FILE TYPE? Is this possible, can you add this? Would be nice to prevent people from downloading say .VBS files?!?!?!?!?!?

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2004 09:39]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

DonChino wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 09:28

Um, why cant you guys add FTP objects to the Proxy Server, would be nice to have a CACHE of stuff FTPd down. Plus, how can you filter out downloads based on FILE TYPE? Is this possible, can you add this? Would be nice to prevent people from downloading say .VBS files?!?!?!?!?!?

FTP protocol support for proxy server is in development.

You can prevent downloading of these file types by creating an appropriate URL rule (deny URL *.vbs) or FTP rule.
There is also predefined example for *.mpg and *.mp3 files in Content Policy/FTP rules.
  •  
DonChino

Check my other post...
These predefined examples in WinRouter are not working...

I basically created one to BLOCK Pdf documents and they still come up... Did not test the LAN Clients but the WinRouter Host can view PDF documents although I have them blocked in both HTTP and FTP...
Previous Topic: No Dial-UP interface (RAS) on WinServer 2003 Web Edition
Next Topic: Stop Downloads by Filetype
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 17:26:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00392 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.