Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Shared Contacts / Apple Address Book (Clients need shared Address Book w/Apple Address Book)
  •  
harrymcq

Send a private message to this user
Hello Everyone,

I have a new Kerio install for one of my clients and it is a 2 person shop. They share all contacts and are using Apple Address Book and iPhones. I am connecting the iPhones with Exchange/ActiveSync.

I know that at the moment the Kerio/iPhone connection isn't going to support public folders but I need some way for these folks to share their contact list. Am I missing something obvious? Any and all input greatly appreciated. I have read about the GAL but am unsure how to implement.

Thanks,
Harry
  •  
harrymcq

Does anyone have any insight on this, is it simply impossible?
  •  
harrymcq

Sorry to keep bumping my own topic but does anyone have any info on this?

To summarize users are on iPhone and want to sync using Exchange. They don't need their own contacts list, just want one master shared one.

Has anyone done this, is it even possible?

Many thanks in advance.
  •  
My IT Indy

You're going to have a problem. You can have 1 activesync connection on each iPhone, but Activesync will only see a user's contacts/calendars/email. What the iPhone will do is reference the GAL when you search for a name in Contacts. You can have the Public Contacts on the iPhone via search, but not browse.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
harrymcq

Thank you SO much HoosierMac for your reply, I really appreciate it. That kind of confirms my suspicions. I really wish that the iPhone could support this.
  •  
silver02suby

In playing with these different options, I've found that, for us, using the LDAP search for global/company contacts is a far BETTER solution than syncing each phone. This way nobody's phone is out of sync, and the maintenance is practically zero. As long as our Public Folders / Company Contacts is the current database (which it always should be), I know that my techs and my sales people all have access to the exact same information at all times. Sure, OTA "sync" might be faster, but it's significantly more overhead and frankly I don't want 3500 contacts sitting in my iPhone. 99.99% of the time I don't care about any of that information.

As for Group Calendars ... I'm told it's an ActiveSync limitation which Apple can't really do much about. Yet at one point on Kerio 6.5.x we had access to them, then they went away again. Even if we could just subscribe as read-only on the iPhone I would be fine with that... but Apple doesn't support calendar subscribing yet (wtf?)

- Bill
  •  
skeates

I have had similar problems trying to get eager iphone clients trying to share calendars more that contacts.

If you don't mind every one being able to edit every one else's calendars what I tend to do is create on user called office<_a.t_>whoever.com

Then under that user create individual calendars and contacts folder for each user. You then subscribe each iphone to that user with exchange and turn on calendars and contacts, but not mail.

You then subscribe to there mail account using imap.

Previous Topic: Kmail/Kontact LDAP Settings?
Next Topic: Bayes not working
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Oct 23 16:56:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00500 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.