Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Stop Downloads by Filetype
  •  
DonChino

Send a private message to this user
Well, I am obviously new here but I am putting WinRouter through various tests since it seems like a SWEET product but comes up short in some areas. Been used to ISA Server, SurfControl, and BitDefender but kind of nice to be able to use a simpler product with everything integrated.

Anyway, how do you STOP downloads based on FILETYPE?
I have TRIED stopping PDF Documents from being viewed/downloaded on HTTP and FTP servers and NOTHING. These annoying PDF documents basically get opened up in Acrobat within the Web Browser when I am trying to stop them. This is obviously a "TEST" for other filetypes, but I cannot stop PDF documents from being viewed.

Anyone else having this problem? Ideas? Help?

I basically want to be able to STOP the viewing and downloading of certain filetypes, like .exe, .vbs, etc, etc so how does Kerio achieve this. I noticed it has some DEFAULT rules for MP3 but it does not work when I changed it to PDF so what gives?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

DonChino wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 10:13

Well, I am obviously new here but I am putting WinRouter through various tests since it seems like a SWEET product but comes up short in some areas. Been used to ISA Server, SurfControl, and BitDefender but kind of nice to be able to use a simpler product with everything integrated.

Anyway, how do you STOP downloads based on FILETYPE?
I have TRIED stopping PDF Documents from being viewed/downloaded on HTTP and FTP servers and NOTHING. These annoying PDF documents basically get opened up in Acrobat within the Web Browser when I am trying to stop them. This is obviously a "TEST" for other filetypes, but I cannot stop PDF documents from being viewed.

Anyone else having this problem? Ideas? Help?

I basically want to be able to STOP the viewing and downloading of certain filetypes, like .exe, .vbs, etc, etc so how does Kerio achieve this. I noticed it has some DEFAULT rules for MP3 but it does not work when I changed it to PDF so what gives?

There are two different sets of rules for content filtering: URL rules for HTTP traffic and FTP rules. The example you're talking about is a FTP rule, so it will not prevent downloading of files from the website.

Create a new denying URL rule in Content filtering/HTTP Policy/URL rules and specify URL condition as *.pdf.
  •  
DonChino

Okay, so I tried your suggestion and it seems to work...
I was using the option on the ADVANCED tab where you can specify "VALID IF MIME TYPE". Why are these options there? They do not seem to work, because I created a rule that basically prevented ANY page that had a MIME Type of *.pdf...

I now instead put in the URL Field *.pdf and it stops the downloading of PDF Documents. But then I went ahead and did something even BETTER since it seems the rules do not work for MIME TYPE but along URL Strings. I basically created a URL GROUP and there I put *.exe, *.pdf, *.vbs and tried to download and VOILA, nothing downloaded...

The URL GROUP is probably a better idea since you can create ONE RULE to block by filetype and then just add the filetypes to the URL GROUP as you decide to block more types. Still, the Mime Type field should have worked, PLUS you can STILL right click and download the FILE even thought it is SUPPOSED to block it... You should ENHANCE WinRouter to NOT just SCAN URL but also BLOCK back on FILETYPE so that RIGHT CLICKING DOES NOT WORK...

Finally, how do you stop the downloading of filetypes over FTP? You basically have to specify FILETYPE and upload/download but when I put *.pdf it still tries to downlod. Possible bug? Hole? Hope you guys get FTP working with the Proxy Server...

Help on stopping FTP by filetypes?

FINALLY...
On DENIAL OPTIONS I clicked on Show Denial Page and put some TEXT, but it never shows up. Instead I get "Requested page cannot be found. Please contact firewall administrator. " So I am assuming there is a TEMPLATE FILE somewhere that is missing where the text gets dropped into? Can you guys tell me what the file name should be, where it should be located, and how do I get the DENIAL PAGE with TEXT option working? Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2004 11:51]

Previous Topic: Unable to connect to Internet AT ALL
Next Topic: Winroute pro firewall 5 why do i have to keep refreshing my connection
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 05:40:23 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00399 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.