Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Very disappointed in the ability to search emails
  •  
lucas

Send a private message to this user
What are you all using to search emails? Outlooks built in instant search is extremely slow, googles search plugin makes outlook unstable and makes outlook startup painfully slow, and windows desktop search doesn't work with KOFF.

Its 2009 and my free gmail account is running circles around kerio!
  •  
BudDurland

lucas wrote on Mon, 02 March 2009 11:26

What are you all using to search emails?

Its 2009 and my free gmail account is running circles around kerio!

I tell users to limit searches to sender & subject; that usually move quickly enough. We don't install MS's desktop search - too slow. I wouldn't expect terrific speed from any server-side search of the message store. Maybe if you were using POP3 instead of KOFF (of course, then you'd loose all the other functionality).

As for Gmail searching faster, well that's no surprise at all. The e-mail is kept in a data base and front ended by software that is developed by a company whose primary product is a search engine.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
lucas

If kerio attempted to fix the problem, they would look towards a solution where they loop through the emails and index a local data file. Performance would be terrific. Its something everyone else has been doing for a while.

Instead I am asking here for a hack to get it working. Anyone have a setup that is working well for them?
  •  
elias

We use Lookout. It was bought by Microsoft and then quietly dumped, so its a little hard to find on the net, but its a great tool. It works with both KOC and KOFF, but the key is to disable its real-time indexing. The real-time indexing of Lookout or any of the other indexing tools will destroy Outlook performance. Instead, you can schedule both full index rebuilds and incremental updates on a schedule; I do monthly index rebuilds and hourly incremental updates and I never notice it running.

If you're using Outlook 2007, then check out Joel Spolsky's blog post on how he got it working.

-Elias
  •  
lucas

elias wrote

We use Lookout.
Thanks for the info! I will try it out.
  •  
benjic

Just a quick note I have just managed to get this working with Outlook 2007

I am not sure its foolproof yet but you need patch the lookout install with this version of the dlls
The first fixes a problem if you have .net 2.0 installed
and the second fixes a Lookuout incompatibility with the GAC of outlook 2007

http://www.scw.us/win/FixingLookout/lookout.dll
http://www.wirwar.com/blog/wp-content/inventures_olk.zip

I should have said
1. Install Lookout
2. Copy the downloaded dll's into the lookout install directory.

oh and you get lookout here
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Lookout_d4808.html

[Updated on: Wed, 03 June 2009 01:45]

•  
rinzwind

Vista SP1 and Office 2007 SP2 works fine. Also use the latest v4 of MS desktop search when you use XP. It has performance improvements. And install SP2 of Office. It improves the performance of Outlook.

Of course don't install multiple desktop search engines.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 June 2009 16:12]

•  
jonnapa

I use Xobni (xobni.com) to search e-mails in Outlook.
  •  
lucas

I have been using lookout with the fixes applied. It has been working pretty decent so far. I have very little success with xobni and ms search.
  •  
benjic

Mate MS Search for Outlook 2007 is a joke. It cant peform full text searches on email bodies if they are stored in PUBLIC FOLDERS

One of the big benefits we use in our workplace is public calenders and folders....but mssearch basically ignores them.
  •  
Ben Reed

The best tool you searching mails or EVERY other content in Outlook or on your whole machine is still Lookeen!!

It´s similar to Lookout, but it´s working with Outlook 2007 and more functional. It searches within attachments, you´ll get the results of a query sorted in groups and it´s amazingly fast!

Check it under http://www.lookeen.com

•  
rinzwind

You can index specific public folders. Add them to your favorites in Outlook.
  •  
sjourney

I just use outlook 07, Vista, and KOFF. Searches just fine, even Highlights the word you searched for in the body of the emails...
  •  
andehh

Having very recently migrated from GroupWise to Kerio I've tried all of the above search apps with varying degrees of success/failure.

Xobni works ok but I'd prefer something that displays results in a similar format to Outlook itself.

Lookout doesn't seem to index everything and I really need an almost instant refresh for moved items.

Lookeen is the most promising but for some reason the Date, To and From fields are blank in the search results. I emailed Lookeen's tech support who responded very quickly and suggested using the Pure OOM option to index but it resulted in 0 files being indexed.

Ben, is Lookeen working perfectly for you?

Thanks

Andy
Ben Reed

Yes, Lookeen works perfect. Had no problems up to now.
Maybe one of the tools you tried is not uninstalled completely?

Perhaps you have to reindex your mails one more time and check the indexing settings.
You should also check the search settings of Lookeen. Perhaps Dat,To and From are disabled???

Please let me know, if you get it working!

Ben

[Updated on: Sat, 13 June 2009 11:55]

Previous Topic: SMTP AUthentication Issue
Next Topic: Windows 7 RC + Outlook 2007 SP2 slow to pick up new mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 17:07:17 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00566 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.