Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Attachment filter question
  •  
zebby

Send a private message to this user
The attachment filter sems global, is this the case?

Ideally we want to be able to allow certain file types though to certain mailboxes whilst barring them from others.

•  
sgongola

The purpose of the attachment filter is to block those attachments which may contain a virus or otherwise be harmful in order to protect the machines in the event that a new virus is not yet known to your antivirus software. As such, it does not make much sense to allow some machines to be in harms way.

•  
zebby

I understand that.
However the mailbox that would not be restricted is mine for the purposes of recieving attachments from a trusted company.

Our current server software allows for blocking attachments to all, but you can also specify that certain recipients or trusted from addresses do not get the attachment stripped out. We can also allow certain file types only to certain to or from addresses.

We're still trialling Kerio and it looks to be heaps smarter/better than our current setup but in this instance the all or nothing approach doesn't fit.
  •  
sgongola

You can specify that all quarantined emails be routed to an administrator account and make it your account.

You can also set the quarantined account (in kerio webmail) to forward received emails to other accounts based on sender/recipient/subject but I fear that these forwarded emails will go back through the kerio server and be trapped again. I hope I am wrong because such a situation can result in a continuous loop that may do bad things. I haven't tried it.

From my experience, there are no truly trusted senders that are totally immune to virus infection. Accidents happen. Our solution is to rename such attachments to something that will not be blocked so that it gets through. This doesn't defeat the purpose of attachment blocking as the danger is primarily when a clicking on an attachment results in invoking an "executable" rather than just saving it.
  •  
zebby

Now I see the solution...
My trusted company names the file cupcake.zip, Kerio is set to allow cupcake.zip and deletes everything else.

As long as they always call it the same thing and zip it, it will always come through and if the file name chosen is stupid/obscure enough, nobody else will recieve dodgy attachments.
Previous Topic: KMS public calendar email address
Next Topic: distribution list question
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:51:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00431 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.