Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » CalDav and Apple iCal
  •  
j.turley

Send a private message to this user
Hi, this may be a feature request but I thought I'd post it here anyway.

We have Kerio Mail Server 6.6.2 running and are using Apple iCal to access the Calendar data stored in Kerio (using CalDav).

We have about 50 users setup and it is all running smoothly and people are generally impressed by what Kerio have done. There are one or two things that they could improve on, private events (part of 6.7), auto-complete to group of people and the last one which some people here are struggling with is how events shown in resource (location, equipment) calendars are shown.

What you expect is that a user creates an event, gives the event a title, assigns a room or a piece of equipment and sends the event. The room or piece of equipment automatically accepts the invitation if the time slot is free. All works fine.

Trouble is if you go to the resources calendar the event is shown as being created by a user, it doesn't show the event name so at present you'd have to go to said users calendar and see what that event is. A bit annoying if you are the office admin girl wanting to see what events are happening for a particular meeting room (I've attached a couple of screen shots).

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1597&private=0[/img]
[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=1598&private=0[/img]

Does anyone know of a workaround or know if Kerio can fix this, it seems quite trivial but for an organisation like us this is proving a bit frustrating.

Hope you guys can help.

Jason

• Attachment: Picture 3.png
    (Size: 139.34KB, Downloaded 532 times)
  • Attachment: Picture 2.png
    (Size: 142.82KB, Downloaded 498 times)
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

"Hiding" of original subject is intentional. There are two reasons:

1. For many users the primary information about a reservation is WHO did it (not why). So they can call the person and tell him that they need the conference room more urgently.

2. Privacy. Users are stupid (yes, they usually are). It is not easy to imagine that the text entered in the Subject (Summary) of meeting request will be visible to anyone else in case of resource scheduling. So if you create a meeting request with subject "Discussion about firing Bob" you wouldn't be happy if anyone in the company can read it in the resource calendar, right?

It is possible to change that in the configuration file (for each resource separately), but you should really consider if this is what you want to do.
  •  
j.turley

Thanks, I understand but other implementations (Apple's own) work the other way round and for my money that is more logical.

Could you explain to me how I can change to configuration file to 'SHOW' the 'WHY' for each resource.

Thanks again!!!

Jason

Ps. wouldn't private events take care of the first scenario?

[Updated on: Wed, 04 March 2009 15:51]

•  
j.turley

•  
cthomas

I have the exact same issue. We have an office manager is responsible for setting out water, snacks etc for certain meetings. Currently we use Meeting Maker (yuck) but it does allow you to see the free/busy time for everyone including what they are doing. The office manager can then check the schedule every day and see which meetings she need to set stuff up for.

I am trying to figure out how to set something up with Kerio so that I can accomplish the same end result. One idea is to have everyone invite the office manager (and her assistant) to every meeting that needs setup of course this means that both of them will not really have a personal calendar at all.

Another option is to use a fake user (something named 'Meeting Setup' or similar) and then give the office manager access to that calendar. But we have three different conference rooms so the fake user would have to get double booked but even worse no one can accept the meetings.

Hmm, what if I created 'Meeting Setup' as a resouce? Hmmm, let me experiment with that. Oh, but wait, double booking problem again.

Any opne else have ideas about this?

- C. Thomas
  •  
j.turley

Kerio/Anyone,

Is it also possible to modify the mailserver config file so that other fields also show in resource calendars - I was thinking maybe the Notes field.

Hope you guys can help

Jason
  •  
nunz

I would like to add my voice to this thread.

This behavior (which could perhaps be resolved in the upcoming version) makes it difficult for us to use this as a 'resource scheduling' solution.

We have a number of resources setup (rooms) and are getting people to 'invite' them to the appropriate events...difficulty is that the 'organiser' ends up with 6 things in THEIR calendar for the same time/date....AND they get a bounced email from the 'resource email'

Any help with this would be great!

thnx

ciao
  •  
d.

Hi C. Thomas and Jason.

Note, that in the Mailstore folder on a Kerio server, there is no "subject" information about appointments, except for "who" the booking is for. So, that doesn't help you with a work-around.

So... Can you do the following:

1. Setup separate meeting rooms as "users" (not resources).
e.g. "Meeting_Room_1", "Meeting_Room_2", "Meeting_Room_3"

2. Set the Office Manager's computer with the 3 user accounts in their iCal. (In addition to their own account I imagine).

I.e. The Office Manager's iCal will have:
-Their own calendar
-Meeting_Room_1
-Meeting_Room_2
-Meeting_Room_3

3. Colour each of the calendars differently (right click on Calendar -> Get Info)

When a person books a meeting room, the Office Manager should get the invite in iCal.

If there are any issues with email alerts, you could either add the meeting room accounts to the Office Manager's email app. OR, setup KMS admin to just forward a copy of the meeting room accounts, to the Office Manager's email account.

Does that tick all the boxes for your needs (other than a better built-in resourcing setup)?

Cheers,
Derek

Previous Topic: Errors in Exchange Migration Tool
Next Topic: Old Mail gets resent after a reboot.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 07:48:07 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00455 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.