Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Entourage 2008: Corrupted databases over and over!
  •  
p0ddie

Send a private message to this user
Hey,

I have a bunch of people using MS Entourage 2008 12.1.5 (latest update). Around 10 people access the same mailbox on KMS (6.6.2) connected via "Exchange" (WebDAV on Port 80) on the LAN. They receive and send about 200 mails every day and use the calendaring feature very often. Additionally, they all access the shared contacts folder (8k+ contacts) and calendar of their boss.

The server is an Intel Xserve with a mirrored 1 TB drive the mailstore is on and plenty of RAM, the clients are all Intel iMacs, it's a Gigabit network, so there is enough performance.

Every other week, one of the Entourage databases fail and need to be rebuild. Often, this doesn't solve the problem and I need to create a new database and have it repopulate all files from the server.

Is this normal? I know Entourage is crap (although I have been using it since the first version on OS 9), but do you guys have similar experiences?

Can I change something about the setup without losing functionality? As these people know I have vpn access, they bug me every time this happens and it drives me up the wall!
  •  
Will Mayall

What you are experiencing is "normal." Microsoft essentially acknowledges it in public forums.

You are more likely to experience corruption with:

- Lots of email messages in an account
- Busy email accounts
- Large mailboxes

I strongly suggest that you do not rebuild the accounts. I have seen newly rebuilt Entourage databases delete messages and even entire folders from the server.

Again, Microsoft recommends you do not rebuild if your email resides on the server, i.e. you access the email via IMAP or Exchange.

There is no evidence that the Entourage database issues have anything to do with the Kerio server. I have seen the same problems happen using "real" Exchange servers.

Will Mayall
  •  
p0ddie

hey,

I'm not trying to pin this on Kerio - I know Kerio kicks *ss Smile

Just thought there is a fix for this experience. Been trying hardly to keep their mailboxes really small… well, let's hope the next update brings the cure.
  •  
cthomas

Add to that list

- Multiple people accessing the same mailbox

I have one user whose database is constantly corrupted. I have created new databases, new identities etc... and it doesn't help. Entourage constantly pops up warning messages, his account still works he just gets the annoying messages so I have stopped trying to do anything about it. I have three other Entourage users who are just fine and dandy though.

- C. Thomas

•  
Will Mayall

If you don't want to get messages from Entourage about database corruption, you can turn off the background database check. Launch the Microsoft Database Utility and use the Preferences to turn it off.

But be forewarned that when Entourage finally discovers the corruption and warns you, it is usually time to really do something about it.

Will Mayall
  •  
p0ddie

mayall,

that's aterrific idea. I unchecked the database check, now every now and then a message pops up at startup of Entourage stating "accessing the data is not possible. recreating the database might solve this issue" or something (they use the German version). When they click ok and relaunch Entourage, everything is back to normal.

The solution to all of this would be an "online" mode in Entourage so nothing is stored on the local machine's database. Search the web and everyone with a similar setup wants this.

The bad thing about this is: the customer worked with Outlook/Exchange before and they immitate this setup with Kerio and Entourage. I don't know of any other software solution on the Mac that has the same functionality.

I will give Thunderbird + iCal + Address Book a try, but I doubt they will like it.

Thanks for the ideas.
  •  
cthomas

This was the response to my query to the Entourage email list. Hopefully the info here may help someone else. I'm hopeful about removing the .plist file.

> The user is running Entourage 2008 with all updates on OSX 10.5.6 and
> connecting to MS Exchange (Kerio). I am beginning to suspect a corrupt email
> message on the server but I have no idea how to figure out which one.

The "Verify database" has been known to give false reports. One option that
can cause these false reports is a corrupted preference. Try deleting this
preference file in your User's --> Library Preferences:

com.microsoft.OfficeNotifications.plist

Other options to check:

1) Bad RAM.
2) Being low on disk space. To check your disk space, use the Activity
Monitor. Click on Disk Usage in the bottom menu bar and select the volume
where you have Office installed. You can also use Disk Utility to see
detailed information about a disk or volume.

To learn more, open Disk Utility in the /Applications/Utilities folder and
refer to Disk Utility Help.

When you have a bad message, you need to use the old method of
troubleshooting preferences in OS9. Divide in half and test. Rinse and
repeat.

I was doing a recovery on a database and found corruption in the sent items
folder. It took over 30 tries to narrow down the problem message. Each time
I would try to export as MBOX file, Entourage would crash as well as the
Finder. In the end it was one message. I could open it in Entourage and copy
the contents. When I tried to drag it to the desktop, it's icon wasn't
correct and the file would not open nor would it allow me to delete it. In
the end I put it in a folder and deleted it. That was one bad message.

Hope this helps!
Previous Topic: Bayes not working
Next Topic: Anonymous Access Overriding Other Users
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 19:42:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00400 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.