Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » I'm Blackberry-Stupid -- Please Help Me
  •  
ahoutzer

Send a private message to this user
I have an iPhone, and I use an Exchange account for my business eMail. That works great.

My boss insisted on getting a Blackberry Curve because he tried very briefly to use an iPhone's keyboard and didn't like it. Now I need to support the Blackberry.

On the desktop or laptop, we use Macs, running Apple's Mail and iCal. I've set up my boss's MacBookPro and Blackberry both to use an IMAP mail account, so they both synchronize eMail nicely with our KMS 6.7. My boss has an iCal calendar that he uses extensively on his MacBookPro. Our secretaries also have access to the boss's calendar through the use of KMS CalDAV and their own iCal programs on their Macs. Now the boss wants to access the same calendar on his Blackberry as well.

I have searched the KMS Administrator Guide and User Guide for the term, "Blackberry", and can only find a brief reference to something called "NotifyLink". Is this the only way to synchronize a KMS CalDAV calendar with a Blackberry Curve? Again, the eMail already works just fine by using IMAP. My boss is not interested in synchronizing contacts, so the only thing that I need to accomplish is to share a calendar among my boss's MacBookPro and his Blackberry Curve and three secretaries' Mac computers.

Thanks for any helpful advice.
  •  
Justin13

Seems to me you should just get notifysync and use that for OTA sync via activesync on this blackberry. Notifysync is new and impliments activesync for blackberry (IE: this is NOT NotifyLink). The only problem seems to be that due to legal nonsense from RIM 3rd party companys can not use the native email portion of the OS so you still have to use the notify email client but it seems to do everything I need it to do.
  •  
jshaw541

I'm also Blackberry stupid. So I obtained a Blackberry Bold about a week ago and have been evaluating Astrasync. It's something like $49 a year per user.

It seems to work well. The one gripe I have is that it seems to use its own messaging app and doesn't integrate into the existing Messaging app. That said, I haven't looked into it too hard yet, and definitely haven't looked at the documentation. It may be possible, I'm Blackberry dumb, remember Smile

I picked up a nice BB theme that posts calendar appointments to the Home screen, so I get all my events from Kerio at a glance.

IMHO, I saw a lot of mixed feelings towards NotifyLink, and I tend to shy away from companies that don't post clear product licensing prices on their website. That usually means "high" and/or "shady".

HTH

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
Justin13

NotifySync is Different from NotifyLink and works a thousand times better and more reliable than astrasync I just wish it had an audable alert in addition to the light/message. They do not have pricing because they do not sell directly from their website ONLY via sales calls/email. The pricing is similar (~120 for the first year and 30 there after plz check with your rep for pricing) to astrasync but I think you get what you pay for with astrasync.

NO third party will EVER have integrated email on a blackberry for legal reasons unless RIM desides to change its mind(very doubtful). I absolutely truly dislike blackberries because of their super closed architecture, with RIM you get exchange and then you setup a BES server then you can run things like THEY want.... I always thought why do they have an extra peice of hardware / software to break when activesync does just fine? or hey why don't they just integrate activesync into their devices as well?

There are some subtle diferences in using an activesync client on BB vs. just using the BIS or BES service. If you go overseas for example carriers like Tmobile offer an unlimited email plan but if you were using activesync it is all data so you would be using roaming data that gets VERY expensive, but because when you use BIS or BES they can separate the BES traffic from the browser/data traffic and offer different rates.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 March 2009 16:43]

•  
jshaw541

Justin13 wrote on Thu, 12 March 2009 08:41

They do not have pricing because they do not sell directly from their website ONLY via sales calls/email.

They should change this. It makes them appear shady, IMHO. They remind me a lot of the MeetingMaker company. That's not a good thing.

Quote:

The pricing is similar (~120 for the first year and 30 there after plz check with your rep for pricing) to astrasync but I think you get what you pay for with astrasync.

Astrasync appears to be $49/year, which is less than half the cost, hardly similar.

Quote:

NO third party will EVER have integrated email on a blackberry for legal reasons unless RIM desides to change its mind(very doubtful). I absolutely truly dislike blackberries because of their super closed architecture, with RIM you get exchange and then you setup a BES server then you can run things like THEY want.... I always thought why do they have an extra peice of hardware / software to break when activesync does just fine? or hey why don't they just integrate activesync into their devices as well?

This is very valuable information. Thank you for explaining it. Kinda depressing. I heard a rumor that RIM *used* to support EAS directly, but then removed it?

-J

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
Justin13

I feel it is similar because astrasync only works about half the time lol. works great on exchange 2003 and up. But struggles on kerio 6.6.

I beleive that this is correct EAS is no longer supported (it was not supported very well to start with, more of a dirty secret kind of thing).

We have had good relations with notify as a company, their products are solid and support fanatical. If your email is not important to you and you only have a few devices choose astrasync if you need to make it work 24/7 and need a way to scale to more device notify has products for that. or we could all just get activesync compatable phones and call it a day, LOL.
  •  
jshaw541

Justin13 wrote on Thu, 12 March 2009 09:33

I feel it is similar because astrasync only works about half the time lol. works great on exchange 2003 and up. But struggles on kerio 6.6.

I beleive that this is correct EAS is no longer supported (it was not supported very well to start with, more of a dirty secret kind of thing).

We have had good relations with notify as a company, their products are solid and support fanatical. If your email is not important to you and you only have a few devices choose astrasync if you need to make it work 24/7 and need a way to scale to more device notify has products for that. or we could all just get activesync compatable phones and call it a day, LOL.

I think I have the only BB left in our org. All the previous BB users have been fleeing to the iPhone en masse.

I am normally an iPhone user. I'm just temporarily using a BB to become more familiar with the platform.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
Justin13

that is funny as I am normally a WM user but have switched to BB for the same reason so we can support it better. lol
  •  
bronco

Justin13

I disagree with your statement that NotifySync works great. On the BB Storm with the latest version 4.6.6 it can't do proper Calendar syncs. Its displaying Good Friday on Thursday and others like that on a day earlier.

This package can not cope well with recurrence and even most of times when I create an appointment on the BB it will not be synced to KMS. I am using all the latest versions so well on the BB Storm as well as NotifySync and KMS.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 April 2009 16:15]

•  
mvenianakis

I have one person on Notify - he loves it but then it just stops working after 3 days, literally just stops, he has to reinstall it. He also tried astrasync, he said he couldnt get the calendar to sync. I have another person on astra sync, and he is ok with it except that when you go to the address book and select a contact to email it looks for a BES account to email with instead of using astra sync, which i always remember with notifylink it would email properly and not look for bes. I have another client using notifysync on a exchange server and it works fine. so i have 4 tests here and i can positively says notifysync won 25% of the vote but on a exchange server.
  •  
hchavarria

I have about ten users on NotifySync with Curve and Bold's and don't have any problems. I did have some issues with 4.6.6 but recently updated to 4.9 and all seems good. I also change the connection method from BIS to TCP because on BIS I had many problems with users. I spoke with NotifySync tech support and they mentioned that the BIS issues are Kerio issues and that Kerio will resolve these issues on the next update. I switch everyone to TCP on the curve I choose TCP scheduled and on the bold TCP Direct Push. Works without any issues. Although you must use the NotifySync mail client it does everything including vibrate, sound, and the LED lights up.
Previous Topic: Entourage 2008 slow sync
Next Topic: Problem on Outlook Personal Folder when using KOFF
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 12:46:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00516 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.