Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » ical and kerio (What have other people done?)
  •  
robjfrost

Send a private message to this user
Hi we have recently set up Kerio for our mail and calendaring server, previously to this we had an old G4 running caldav server with webdav activated with everyone subscribing and amending their calendars. This worked but was getting on a bit and there would always be a time lapse etc. Our mail was run on another mac.

So on to Kerio I have tried several methods of using ical and setting up users, first of all we tried delegating the clients calendars which works with read access but now everyone has filled their calendars with events, the delegated calendars are grinding the server to a snail pace. So lots of timing outs.

I have tried to set up group public calendars but again this proved to be a no go, first off was the %20public<_a.t_>domainname which was a case of amending everyones mail rules to delete these messages. But with the group calendars set up no one could see who had accepted the meeting without looking at the persons delegated calendar. So the same problem.

So now I'm wondering whether or not to just to go back to letting all the clients subscribe to other users calendars, still using kerio and ical.

We are currently using a G5 dual2.3 just wondering if this is up to the job? We only have about 30-40 users but they do use ical a lot. What are other peoples experience within a Mac environment using ical with kerio and how did you set it up? Thanks for your help.

•  
robjfrost

Anyone..?
Just a rough idea of your server spec, how many clients you have and if you just use delegated shared calendars or public calendars any advice appreciated... Cheers
  •  
My IT Indy

Are you asking about the speed of the server or how iCal can be set up? The CPU on the G5 is plenty fast, but KMS is really dependent upon disk speed. If you can get an external raid to host the mailstore that would definitely speed it up.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
robjfrost

Thanks..for replying.. Well at the moment the mail server is a G5 tower with mirrored 250gb drives. I have delegated our users ical calenders to read and they refresh every 15mins. But you can see in the Activity monitor on the G5 the cpu's are getting hit very frequently and causing the refresh rate for clients to time out. Causing me problems!!
So it was really just an idea of a typical set-up of what other people are using in other mac environments to get a better idea of resolving the refresh issue or if anyone has managed to get public calendars to work? Thanks
  •  
My IT Indy

How many users do you have? How much ram in the server? What protocol are you using for calendaring? Caldav?

-
My IT Indy
  •  
robjfrost

We have roughly around 30-40 users some more dependent on ical/Calendaring than others.

The Server has 3.5Gb of ram in it.
We are using caldav with most people sharing their private calendars with read only delegated access.
If i could create a shared public calendar, it would tidy up users Ical. At the moment everyone needs to see what and where others are so ical is a mess. This would then alleviate the need for sharing everyones info, and so hopefully reducing the servers bottleneck.
Thanks
  •  
My IT Indy

A Public calendar would be a good idea, too many shared calendars can definitely load down the system.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
robjfrost

Thanks HoosierMac for all your help..
I think i might change the drive setup to start with, maybe do a striped or raid 5 to speed things up and go from there.

The public calendar seems to be a problem as no one would see the recipients status in the public calendar. So they would have to check the invitees status by checking their shared calendar, so being counter productive.

But I have been having a look today and managed to create another calendar (not in the public area) and delegate it to a group and that works well as a group calendar with the status updating as it should.

Only thing is everyone in that group has admin rights so could delete a meeting or move it.. Still its progress..

Thanks

•  
jhtinc

I was bit by this last year when working with a 40 person company - I had an Xserve dual G5 that was running mail services fine, but adding iCal killed it. As an experiment, I went and threw the whole KMS onto a fast Core2 Quad box I whipped up in a hurry.

It blazed. Wound up moving Mail onto a Dell server that just runs that app, and it's great. Also, since then I've taken iCal services live on several other Xserves, but all Intel-based, without incident.

The problem is basically that the web server underlying everything on Kerio is poorly optimized for G5 processors. Run it on an Intel box, even a relatively pedestrian one, and things improve a lot. Regardless of OS.
  •  
My IT Indy

I agree with this. I have one server with about 120 users on it on an Intel 8-core XServe and utilization during the day averages 3%.

-
My IT Indy
  •  
j.turley

Hi, I'm also running into issues with running Kerio/CalDav combo on an Xserve G5. We're about to upgrade to one of the Intel based Xserve's and maybe get the solid state drives to host the OS/Mail store.

Does anyone have any experience with this, how does it run, any notable issues?

Cheers

Jason
  •  
jhtinc

I don't think the SSDs would be a good option for you to host the mail store - for the kind of usage patterns you get from a mail server regular old drives should be fine. Otherwise an Xserve is plenty good enough for the job.
  •  
JonasLondon

Hi all, agree - whilst we only run about 40 users on ours, an Apple XServe 2x Dual-Core 2 GHz machine with 4 GB RAM, Kerio never stresses it one iota, even when sending out a couple of thousand mails in a mailshot - short spike in the SMTP window, but really, totally nothing in terms on overall impact or the service of web sites etc.

Best mailserver and general server ever Smile
Jonas
Previous Topic: Authorize users against an AD
Next Topic: want to remove the "-owner" when mesage sent to mailing list
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 21:01:07 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00557 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.