Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Problem migrating from Thunderbird[SOLVED]
  •  
coolnicklas

Send a private message to this user
Kerio Mailserver 6.6.2 build 7165 on a HP Proliant dl145 (2GHz Opteron, 1 GB ram, 3ware SATA-RAID 1) running Win 2K3
Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 on XP Pro

I'm in the process of migrating our users from a POP3 environment whith a mix of Thunderbird/Outlook 2003/OE clients to Kerio.

I have created a few accounts to figure out the best way to migrate local Thunderbird messages to Kerio IMAP folders.

When setting up an Kerio IMAP account in Thunderbird and copying messages to a IMAP folder, Thunderbird stalls after approx 40 of 400 messages and the target folders seems empty. If I restart Thunderbird and open the target folder, only 40 messages are there.

I have tried another mail server, Zarafa, and there is no problem to copy messages to IMAP-folders on that server. In fact I can copy messages to Zarafa(IMAP) and then copy those to the Kerio IMAP folder without any problems. Any ideas how to solve this?

It will be very frustrating migrating my users using Zarafa as an Kerio IMAP-Connector....

[Updated on: Wed, 18 March 2009 15:13]

•  
mpermann

I experienced a similar issue when I was trying to do the same thing but I was using Apple's Mail application to upload some local messages from Apple Mail to the Kerio server. It would upload messages fine then it would stop at a certain message. What I ended up discovering was I had some messages that apparently had some illegal characters that were causing the messages to not upload properly. After I removed the offending characters all messages would upload properly. I don't know if you are experiencing a similar issue or not. But it might be worth looking at that 41st message to see if the subject of the message has any possible illegal characters in it.
  •  
coolnicklas

Hi,
Thanks for the tip, I will examine that message. It is strange that I can copy all messages if a use zarafa as a "connector". Offending characters, what kind of characters was it in your case?
  •  
mpermann

Gosh, it's been so long but if I remember correctly it was the / character. I would try and avoid any characters that are considered illegal characters in file names for Windows. You can find a good summary at http://www.grouplogic.com/knowledge/index.cfm/fuseaction/vie w/docID/111

I do find it strange that using Zarafa as a middle man allowed the messages to make their way up to Kerio without issue. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it removed the illegal characters when the messages were moved through it. Then again, you could have a completely different problem than what I was experiencing.

There is another application that you can use to move e-mail from one format to another that you might want to look at. It is called Emailchemy. I've used it on a very limited basis but was very happy with the way it worked. The big negative was the cost of the application and the licensing.

Good luck with your transition.
  •  
coolnicklas

I tried copying mails from another Thunderbird account and now it stalls after just a couple of messages. It also stalls the webmail account for that user for like 15 minutes. I can't see anything in the mail server logs indicating any errors.

Kerio should provide some kind of migration tools for this tasks, it must be a fairly common migration scenario for new customers.

I guess I have to use Zarafa as a middle man...

[Updated on: Tue, 17 March 2009 10:14]

•  
mpermann

Is the message it is stalling on one that has a large e-mail attachment associated with it? I know when I migrated e-mail to the server for my account it would take longer when it was transferring e-mail that contained attachments. Also, are you migrating from a computer that is connected to your network with ethernet or wireless? The type of connection to your network may also be affecting the speed at which the computer is able to transfer the data to the server.
  •  
coolnicklas

I just tried this scenario Using LAN connection:

1. Move 77 messages (not containing attachments) from local folder TEST2 to IMAP folder TEST1.
2. After 10 messages are copied, Thunderbird stalls and the status message at the bottom says "sending secure login information..."
3. The stall continues forever and aborted only if Thunderbird is closed. Now I close Thunderbird
4. Webmail for this account is now inaccessible. When using the full featured Webmail it says "wait" displaying the "hour glass"
5. After 3 minutes the webmail interface is loaded, TEST1 says 8 new mails and when clicking folder TEST1 the hour glass is displayed and webmail is stalled again.

6. After 5 minutes the webmail stall is over, folder TEST! only contains 9 messages.
7. Mail server errro log is empty.

Update:

Same scenario works well with KMAIL and Windows Live Mail without any problems...

[Updated on: Tue, 17 March 2009 18:43]

•  
coolnicklas

During the thunderbird stall I fired up wireshark to be able to see what was going on behind the scene and I have attached a zip-file (tbird_stall.zip) containing the captured packages. I exported the file to CSV and plain text.

Thunderbird actually became responsive again after 30 minutes, but when clicking on the IMAP folder it stalls again, the zip-file (tbird_stall2.zip) contains the captured packages during this stall.

Maybe there are any IMAP protocol guru on this forum who can interpret the capture...

•  
coolnicklas

It turned out that my Avast anti-virus did interfer with the IMAP session. Disabling Avast solved the problem!
  •  
mpermann

Ah ha. That is definitely not something I would have experienced on my Mac when I was moving data. I don't have any antivirus installed as I don't have a need for it in OS X. I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue.
Previous Topic: iPhone 3.0 beta not working anymore with Kerio E-Mail
Next Topic: Changing Calendar Color in iCal on CalDAV calendars
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 06:15:50 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00523 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.