Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » tips for KOFF speedup on older hardware
  •  
steven

Send a private message to this user
in our company (local government) we have a majority of pentium 4 3.0 Ghz computers on which KOFF is running quite slow.

most complaints come are a slow startup (up to 45 seconds for a 300-400 MB account) and sometimes taking a long time to just change folders and opening messages.

i have been trying out a lot of different things to make this work better, from simple things like doing a disk cleanup and defragmenting to adding extra RAM (upgrade from 512MB tot 3GB), disabling virus scan, etc, etc

are there people here who have/had similar problems and found a way of making KOFF work faster?

thanks in advance.

Steven
  •  
sgongola

What are the slow machines running (linux/windows/vista/xp)?
Are there machines that are not having the problem? If so, how are they different?
What is the kerio box running?
If you change one of the client boxes so that it uses IMAP instead of KOFF, will it run faster?
Same question for using KOC instead of KOFF.

•  
steven

All computers are running windows xp SP2 and some SP3.
The only machines not having the problem are the most recent dual and quad core pc's from, but that are less than 10 machines on a total of 170. Most of them are the pentium 4 3Ghz machines with 512MB of memory.

We have upgraded the memory ons some pc's to 3GB and on one pc it made quite a differece in the beginning, but although functioning better, i still get the same reports back of outlook working slow

Our kerio box is running on a quad core xeon L5420, 4x 72GB 15k SAS hard drives in raid 5, with 2GB memory, running CentOS 5.2, and that's running very smoothly.

I'll try imap instead of KOFF and post my findings here, but KOC isn't working faster. It's also not offering all the functionality we need.
  •  
steven

i ran the test on my laptop which normally takes 25 seconds to open outlook after startup, and with imap, it only takes 5-6 seconds to open.

normally the results should be the same on the other pc's as during other testing moments, the results on my laptop where approximately the same as on the older pc's
  •  
Lisa Lyons (Kerio)

Just as an off-hand recommendation.

Without knowing more about your setup, the first thing I would double-check is that you don't have the windows search turned on (this is enabled by default in Win XP SP3 and Vista SP1). Also, Google Desktop can slow things down.

If you have an AV running on KMS, you might wish to turn off just the email scanning portion of any local AV (*DO NOT TURN OFF ALL THE AV ON THE LOCAL MACHINE!*) and see if this has any effect. Bear in mind, though, this should only be done where there is an AV running on your KMS that is scanning incoming and outgoing emails, before they ever reach your PC's.

Kerio Technical Support
Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
steven

interresting to know that i have to disable windows search manually on SP3, didn't know that and althought i don't have much SP3 installs, i will look at this.

we have mcafee activated on kerio and on the pc's and i have disabled the email scanning functionality, it helps a bit, but this is still unsufficient
  •  
Lisa Lyons (Kerio)

Steven, I'd recommend contacting your local support team and advise them of the situation. It's possible that there are other things affecting the speed of KOFF and it's worth getting directly in touch with support if the basics I outlined above haven't worked.

Kerio Technical Support
Log Support Incidents here: http://www.kerio.com/support
Also, please use our KB: http://kb.kerio.com
  •  
walter.harris

Hi Steven,

we had the same problem with slow koff and outlook 2003.
we deinstalled KB645432 office patch and performance was fine again.

•  
GetSync'd

Another possible solution, if you have access to the file system. In each users INBOX folder and other folders there is a file called 'index.fld'. Shutdown KMS and rename that file to 'index.bad' and then restart KMS. This will force the system to rebuild the index file and this may result in an increase in speed.

GetSync'd.Com
Certified Hosted Kerio Connect Solutions
Kerio Mail Boxes / Dedicated Kerio Servers / Managed Kerio Cloud
http://www.getsyncd.com
  •  
steven

walter.harris wrote on Mon, 30 March 2009 14:40

Hi Steven,

we had the same problem with slow koff and outlook 2003.
we deinstalled KB645432 office patch and performance was fine again.

Hi,

i'm going to try this as soon as i can.

any idea how to remove this update easily, i don't seem to find it under add/remove programs with updates shown.

thanks,
Steven
  •  
  •  
mrralan

How do you disable Windows Search?
Previous Topic: Gibberish emails in Mail.app but fine in KERIO web interface
Next Topic: McAfee failure
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 11:52:55 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00514 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.