Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Pop3 download not finding mailbox To: <NULL>
  •  
Prototype

Send a private message to this user
My pop3 download errors on some emails. See below

[17/Mar/2009 12:26:11] Recv: Queue-ID: 49bf96e3-00000015, Service: POP3, From: <user<at>sendersdomain.com>, To: <NULL>, Size: 4759, server isp.pop3download.com, user username<_a.t_>pop3download.com, mailbox {X-Envelope-To}

17/Mar/2009 12:26:12] POP3 download: 1 message (4759 bytes) downloaded from server isp.pop3download.com, with username username<at>myisp.com

[17/Mar/2009 12:26:13] Recv: Queue-ID: 49bf96e5-00000016, Service: DSN, From: <>, To: <user<at>sendersdomain.com>, Size: 3740, Report: failed

[17/Mar/2009 12:26:13] Sent: Queue-ID: 49bf96e3-00000015, Recipient: <username<at>myisp.com<at>isp.pop3download.com>, Result: failed, Status: 5.3.5 Mailbox invalid or does not exist

Question is how can I stop this and why does it not affect all users sending to my domain? There is no address in the header so I just get To: <NULL>

Ideas please

•  
Prototype

•  
anthony.somerset

i assume you have one pop box per user?

if so you need to set deliver to mailbox option

otherwise if its one big pop box you need to set up sorting rules

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
Prototype

Yes we have just one pop3 mailbox as a catchall. Sorting rules are setup and work for most emails problem is when some mails come through there seems to be no address in the header hence the To: <NULL> in the mail logs.

When a mail comes through like this it bounces back to the sender.

How can I get around this?
  •  
anthony.somerset

normally mail without a TO: header is often spam

however if people are CC"ing or BCC'ing, you will need to add those sort rules as well, the only problem is there may be duplications of email, i dont know too much about this though

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
Prototype

No its def NOT spam. I had the sender contact me saying he had a bounce back.

He only address the mail to me and didnt CC or BCC. This is what I can't work out.

Why does it come in as To: <NULL>???

It doesnt matter how many sort rules I have setup Kerio sees no address in the TO: line so bounces it back

HELP!!!!!
  •  
anthony.somerset

hmm

just to clarify this only happens to certain emails, or does it happen to most emails?

i would suspect that it is an issue on the senders end, either his email client is not properly tagging the to field, his isp is not dealing with it correctly or possibly your isp removes the TO: tag as its a pop download box

have you tried the X-Envelope-To header as well?

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
Prototype

anthony.somerset wrote on Mon, 23 March 2009 20:31

hmm

just to clarify this only happens to certain emails, or does it happen to most emails?

i would suspect that it is an issue on the senders end, either his email client is not properly tagging the to field, his isp is not dealing with it correctly or possibly your isp removes the TO: tag as its a pop download box

have you tried the X-Envelope-To header as well?

Answer to first question is yes that is corrent.

Answer to X-Envelope-To is also yes I have tried this but still rejects/bounces the mail. The email is getting its header striped but I dont know why. Other people also sending through the same isp dont have this problem sending to me
  •  
anthony.somerset

i have to admit this one has me stumped, and my only thoughts are that the senders email client is not handling the headers correctly, which means they end up getting stripped by the time we get into your pop box.

we had this problem briefly but it was our ISP at fault modifying the headers before the pop download, we ended up solving it, by moving our MX records at dns pointing to our kerio server for all mail on the domain. but i dont know how appropriate this is for you

it is interesting to note, our temporary work around was to have a catchall account into the postmaster box (or whichever you prefer) and then i manually forwarded the email on because my email client still read who it was addressed to, it was fine for about a week or so, but not suitable as a long term solution as people click reply and then you end up becoming the mail server yourself by forwarding things on or letting people know that they replied to you and not the original sender!

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
subnet

Hi,

i know this was six months ago, but I had the same problem with one of our clients. Kerio could help me that time, so I dicided to create individual pop accounts for everybody on the mail server and my ISP. After that it worked smootly. And after that I manually forwarded all the emails to the clients. wow that were sleepless nights. LOL

Regards,

Cliff
  •  
Prototype

Hi, thank you for the advice. I will try this and let you know
Previous Topic: KMS and Terminal Server with KOC
Next Topic: DNS failure in Warning log
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 15:28:22 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00546 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.