Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Global Address List in KMS 6.7 - What's new?
  •  
renefn

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I was just wondering what's new about the Global Address List in KMS 6.7? Isn't there already such a thing in KMS 6.6.2?

Regards,
René Frej Nielsen

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
rleslie70

I was wondering the same thing.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

rleslie70 wrote on Sun, 29 March 2009 18:01

I was wondering the same thing.

Easy to find in the Release Notes document for the beta: http://download.kerio.com/dwn/beta/kmsrn67-en.pdf
  •  
sedell

It looks like they're finally pulling AD and OD contact info other than name and e-mail address, and updating it when it's changed in AD/OD.

Scott
  •  
renefn

OK, that's the new feature? I guess that it's a nice addition...

I also see that Mac OS X Address Book now get a Global Address List folder where all contacts are stored. That's really nice!

I would prefer to use only that folder and not an LDAP lookup on the Mac, but if I remove the KMS LDAP from Directory Utility, then iCal's free/busy feature doesn't work...

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
p0ddie

I guess it's the ability to query the public contacts with a mobile device.

I tried that, it failed me miserably Wink

Here's what I did: I have an Exchange account set up on an iPhone 2G and can sync my "private" address book effortlessly. However, there is also an entry called "directories" in the iPhone address book, my account name / email address is listed there.

I figure this is the point to use GAL and query the public folders.

I made sure I have full permissions on the public contacts folder in my KMS 6.7 installation.

When I query the directory with the iPhone, I get 0 results returned.

KMS log says:

ASyncSearch.cpp: ActiveSyncGalSearchProvider::Execute: DeviceId: Appl7S74xxxxxxx, User: user<_a.t_>domain.com, Unable to open folder: ~user<_a.t_>domain.com/Public Folders/Contacts

(I obfuscated the Appl7S74xxxxxxx, that's my iPhone's S/N)

Weird? Bug? Kerio_pdobry, could you comment on this please?

[Updated on: Wed, 01 April 2009 14:20]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

p0ddie wrote on Wed, 01 April 2009 14:19

I guess it's the ability to query the public contacts with a mobile device.

No, such ability is there since KMS 6.3.0. Smile
The main advantage of new GAL is synchronization of telephone numbers, postal addresses and other stuff from OpenDirectory or ActiveDirectory. And automatical publishing/removal of new/deleted user accounts. So, the "Publish" button is dead.

Quote:

ASyncSearch.cpp: ActiveSyncGalSearchProvider::Execute: DeviceId: Appl7S74xxxxxxx, User: user<_a.t_>domain.com, Unable to open folder: ~user<_a.t_>domain.com/Public Folders/Contacts
Weird? Bug? Kerio_pdobry, could you comment on this please?

Looks like configuration or mailstore issue. I would suggest enabling Folder operations debugging in KMS debug log and contacting our technical support (or contact for beta testing mentioned at http://www.kerio.com/beta) so we can figure out why the Contact folder cannot be opened.
  •  
sedell

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 01 April 2009 09:40

The main advantage of new GAL is synchronization of telephone numbers, postal addresses and other stuff from OpenDirectory or ActiveDirectory. And automatical publishing/removal of new/deleted user accounts. So, the "Publish" button is dead.

What about accounts we don't want to show up in the public address book, or the new GAL? We have a number of them that we don't want, or currently have, published in the GAL/public address book. Are we going to lose that?

Scott
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

sedell wrote on Wed, 01 April 2009 15:50

What about accounts we don't want to show up in the public address book, or the new GAL? We have a number of them that we don't want, or currently have, published in the GAL/public address book. Are we going to lose that?

No, there is an option in user (group) setting to disable publishing of this contact in the GAL.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 April 2009 15:55]

•  
p0ddie

hey,

thanks for clearing that up. It was partially my fault... I searched for a name in the "company" field, apparently GAL only works for names. Shame - but still a cool feature Smile
  •  
d.

If there is an entry in a standard 'published' user account, you can always delete these via the web-mail interface (logged in as an admin user).

E.g. useful when staff leave the business, and you've deleted their account, but they come up in the public address book search.

We use the lookups for connecting to in our photocopiers. And it's annoying to see the old users listed there when doing a 'scan-to-email' lookup... So, this is the quickest and friendliest way to do it for that scenario.

Cheers,
D.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 May 2009 04:03]

•  
Osmin

In our company we have at least two emailadresses for each user, but only one adress should be displayed. Is that possibly?
Some users have more than 5 alias, which are not supposed to be published. Any way to hide them except one address?

Or do I have the possibility to hide the whole published contact book?
  •  
blackbox

I'm in the same situation and would love to hear an update from Kerio on available or upcoming options.
  •  
Tod

I have a work around for the GAL showing too many email addresses, then updating and changing it all.

I copied all the global contacts to the personal contacts of the administrative account. I change all the info that I don't want to see in the personal contacts of the administrative account.

Then I make a new subfolder of the Public Folder of type contacts. Name the new contacts folder Public Contacts (anything to distinguish it from the regular Contacts folder). Copy all the personal contacts of the administrative account to the new Public Contacts.

Change the access rights of the old Contacts. Remove the users from even being able to read it.

Change the Access Rights of the new Public Contacts. Allow the users you want to read it.

Have your users update log out and back in. They should not see "Contacts" under the Public Folders. They should be able to see the "Public Contacts" that you just made.

Now those contacts will not "update" every time the LDAP updating and the GAL publishing takes place.

Hope this helps.

Tod
Previous Topic: Need duplicate mails for outside mails but not for internally mails (MX-Record/SMTP)
Next Topic: Keychain Access
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 06:17:27 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00562 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.