Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio and Vmware ESX
  •  
tek_san

Send a private message to this user
As KMS is certified to be used in a virtual environment I would like to know what experiences you have made with the virtual KMS.

Has anyone a KMS running in ESX and does anyone have the KMS Mail Store running on a separate vmdk attached via NFS, iSCSI or Fiber?

We have two ESX Servers, that are configured to be a used in a HA (High Availability) Setup.
The vmdks run on NFS shares, provided by a FAS 2020 from Netapp that consists of 14 drives, that create one aggregate and several volumes. This setup would be a perfect place for our KMS.

So I would conclude, that this setup should provide enough I/O performance to provide the necessary speed.
As the FAS 2020 relies heavily on its caching in RAM, disk access or latency should not slow down the access to the mail store.
The actual size and setup of our KMS can be seen in my signature.

Please share your experiences. Thank you very much in advance.
regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
fpavon

My experience is great. My configuration is very similar to yours, and I have any problem. The performance is good

Regards
  •  
tek_san

Thanks for your reply.!
How many users do you have and how large is your mail storage??
I would not mind, if you could describe your setup a bit more Wink
regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
  •  
fpavon

123 users; the mail storage has 103 GB

The migration from the old system (Red Hat 4) was very simple

Regards
  •  
tek_san

+190 readers and no one else using KMS in a virtualized Environment?
Come on, don't be shy Wink

regards

Oliver

•  
campodoro74

Hi,

I've been running KMS on an ESX 3.5 server since a year using Ubuntu 8.04 as host system. Since Ubuntu was not supported, I've created this install script:
http://wiki.goudkamp.it/files/kerio-install.sh

The server is a HP DL350 G5 with 1 Dual-Core 1.8Ghz XEON CPU and 8 GB shared memory, 5x72GB 15k SAS disks in RAID 5 and a 750GB SATA disk as backup (using another VM as OpenFiler ISCSI server to where I mount the /backup/ folder).

We currently only have 15 KOC, 10 KOFF and 10 webmail users. Mailstore is now 109GB (they keep ALL their mail) and the server is sleeping most of the time.

I dedicated 33% of CPU and memory shares to the KMS VM, the rest is in use by 2 MS SQL servers, a couple of Windows XP VM's and some Linux servers, a total of 11 VM's. Not all VM's are always on.

The machine has 2GB of memory and 1.5Ghz of CPU power available.

See attached screenshot of recent esxtop and CPU usage.

• Attachment: esxusage.JPG
    (Size: 75.25KB, Downloaded 467 times)
  • Attachment: esxCPU.JPG
    (Size: 63.12KB, Downloaded 454 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 16 April 2009 14:23]

Previous Topic: BAYES_00: -1.665 on spam messages?
Next Topic: BB Storm and BlackBerry Internet Service
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 19:52:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00423 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.