Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOC offline store - encrypted?
  •  
cschubert

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

How can I protect the store.fdb file in my Document and Settings folder against being read by an administrator if he would copy this file away from my harddisk over remote shares?

will the content in the file be encrypted? AES256 for example?

or could I do that by myself?
(i'm syncing my private store on my company notebook)

kind regards,
cschubert
  •  
sedell

Trying to hide documents and files from an administrator could be grounds for termination, so I wouldn't go that route.

If an admin wanted or needed to access your mail, I don't think they would bother with your store.fdb file - I wouldn't. It's far easier to just access the mail on the server. The admin would also see all the mail store contents, not just what was synchronized, which is what he'd get using the local database on your machine. They may also have a mail archive. That would contain everything you sent or received. It would also be simpler to access that than your local store.

Scott
  •  
cschubert

no..

the question was:

is the contents of store.fdb encrypted?

if you have your own mail server and only take your mailstore with you in an "unsecured" environment, is the store file secured?
  •  
sedell

You asked if you could encrypt it so an administrator couldn't read it. There's no point, because the administrator can read your mail easier in other locations.

If you're looking to protect your mail from, let's say your laptop getting stolen and accessed, that's a different story. No, it's not encrypted. Databases don't typically work that way. It's a tremendous amount of overhead to encrypt everything being stored in the database. Usually the database access controls or user accounts take care of the security. But encryption in the DB or not, if someone can even get to the file on your laptop, there's a problem with the laptop's security.

Scott
Previous Topic: Sync between Entourage & KMS problems
Next Topic: BAYES_00: -1.665 on spam messages?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Sep 25 13:41:39 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00424 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.