Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Make SpamAssassin scan emails with attachments?
  •  
aaron311

Send a private message to this user
Lately I've been getting a good amount of spam with pdf / jpeg attachments between 150kb to 350kb in size. Apparently, SpamAssassin wont scan these messages, and my custom rules don't appear to work either (although Kerio support claims they do).

Is there a way to force Kerio / SpamAssassin to scan messages with attachments?

Thanks!
  •  
sgongola

AFAIK Spamassassin examines text. Using OCR to retrieve text from a graphic requires greater processing power than is usually available for continuous incoming emails and is outside the scope of what spamassassin does. However, the presence of graphics in emails does affect the spamassassin score.

Much of the same may be true for scanning PDF attachments and any mimed attachment but I am not exactly sure about that.

Spam is supposed to attract your immediate attention. This happens with text, html, and pictures. This is not true for pdf where you need to be convinced to invoke an external reader so the need for scanning pdf is not as great.
  •  
aaron311

Honestly, I don't really want SpamAssassin (or Kerio) to scan the individual attachments. I'd rather Kerio would scan the message just like any other email. There may not be text in the body of the message for SpamAssassin to scan, but doesn't it also take the subject and headers into consideration when giving a score?

So basically all spammers have to do is attach a picture or any other file to the message, and Kerio will deliver it as if it were white listed. I think they've figured this out, because my level of spam getting through is getting larger by the day.
  •  
sgongola

The presence of a graphic attachment does affect the spam score. So does the presence of a graphic with no other information. Neither acts as a "white list".
You should also be using other facilities in "content filter">>"spam filter". They are all important. spamassassin, Spam rating and custom rules handle email that has entered your system. The others prevent messages from getting into the system in the first place. They reduce the processing load on your email server and they probably prevent emails from getting in that spamassassin might not recognize as spam.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 April 2009 18:59]

•  
Vink

aaron311 wrote on Thu, 30 April 2009 18:30

Honestly, I don't really want SpamAssassin (or Kerio) to scan the individual attachments. I'd rather Kerio would scan the message just like any other email. There may not be text in the body of the message for SpamAssassin to scan, but doesn't it also take the subject and headers into consideration when giving a score?

So basically all spammers have to do is attach a picture or any other file to the message, and Kerio will deliver it as if it were white listed. I think they've figured this out, because my level of spam getting through is getting larger by the day.

SpamAssassin scans all messages, but headers alone might not be enough for SA to classify a message as spam. For header recognition you should introduce using blacklists (spamfilter, 2nd tab). From my experience (1 domain with 130 users) you can safely add SpamCop and SpamHaus to simply block positives.
Previous Topic: Kerio Server acting a little flaking...
Next Topic: [solved] DNS not configured correctly... need a little help here please!
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 01:20:55 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00394 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.