Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Can not change Winroute server name [KWF 6.6.0]
  •  
ChinDangShun

Send a private message to this user
Dear pros,

I have just install the trial version of KWF v6.6.0.

But I could not change the box "Winroute server name" from my local hostname to public hostname or other. Who have suffered similarly, please guide me?

HIEU
  •  
cybersans

yes. i also experience the same thing. the new version of kwf didn't allow admin to change the winroute server name, and the name is taken from machine name.

and i found that in status -> connection, when you click "show dns name", at the destination column, if the ip address cannot be reversed-lookup, it will be blank, and appear nothing.

can anybody explain? thank you in advance.
  •  
KursadOlmez

Hi,

I have had the same issue and NTLM authentication problem related with this issue within the last week.

I opened a support ticket about that and here is the reply of Kerio Support Engineer's.

"We decided to don't allow changing the firewall's hostname, because a lot of users filled in incorrect name or even an ip address which causes that ntlm authentication does not work for them. And they claimed that it was winroute's bug."
  •  
cybersans

oh, so this is a "new feature"

so you guys experience problem when ticking "show dns name" at the status -> connection, and see blank ip address at the destination columns?
  •  
an2ny79

Yeah, when Show DNS is checked, Some Destinations are left blank. I assume this is because KWF couldn't find the DNS Name of that IP so it leaves blank. I don't know if this is bug or it's another new feature for v6.6

About the Winroute Server Name, I don't agree with that. If they think some users don't know how to use it, they should re-consider that some users do know and fully aware how to deal with it. They should give us an option or warning in case we want to change it.
  •  
KursadOlmez

Forbidding to change KWF server name is not good for me. I'm a System Administrator and I'm deploying Server Systems with KWF with approximately 100 users. And now with KWF version 6.6 I have to setup GPO to send Trusted Sites and Intranet logon settings to users. But What if all of my users don't use IE? What if my users using FF, Safari, Chrome, Opera or other browsers? I can't use GPO for that browsers.

So, changing KWF server name is more easier than setting GPO and more easier than setting client's browsers setting one by one.

In my opinion, if System Administrators that don't able to setup KWF Server name correctly than they shouldn't do that job anymore.

I will speak that issues (KWF server name and Show DNS issue) with Kerio Partner in here and will post the result here.

Kürşad Ölmez

•  
cybersans

an2ny79 wrote on Wed, 03 June 2009 00:14

Yeah, when Show DNS is checked, Some Destinations are left blank. I assume this is because KWF couldn't find the DNS Name of that IP so it leaves blank. I don't know if this is bug or it's another new feature for v6.6

About the Winroute Server Name, I don't agree with that. If they think some users don't know how to use it, they should re-consider that some users do know and fully aware how to deal with it. They should give us an option or warning in case we want to change it.

agree. new version's feature shouldn't "punished" user who want to change that host. i strongly thinking that this kind of feature cause the unresolved reversed-ip to become blank in my list.
  •  
Hamy

Ok. this is gettig ridicules. Who do you think you are Kerio? playing around and do whatever you want just because you think its your software? so what about those ppl who actually bought your product? you dont give a damn about them now do you? Updating software always means new features not removing features. you dont know that yet? In what world you see a software update that says: Removing blah feature because it was hard for us to support.
You're actually solving the problem by removing the question, first that dial-up feature that you removed and then this? Do you Have any idea what have you done? do you really think Id buy your product if I knew there was no such a feature? All of my certifacates have been bought only for your product and linking to my external addresses. I payed for them, do you understand that? and you just out of no where decided to remove this feature? I hope you undo what you've done really fast or you will have no idea how much I'm gonna sue you for that.

Peace

[Updated on: Sun, 07 June 2009 12:43]

•  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

We are currently considering further UI changes regarding the server name as well as several other related things and I believe the result will resolve the above issue. Meanwhile, you may edit the winroute.cfg file manually and change the field 'Hostname' in the 'Misc' table.

We do care for our customers and our technical support will be happy to help you with any issues you might have with our products.

Jan Jezek
Product Development Manager - Kerio Control
Kerio Technologies
  •  
deftoner

Jan Jezek (Kerio) wrote on Mon, 08 June 2009 10:16
We are currently considering further UI changes regarding the server name as well as several other related things and I believe the result will resolve the above issue. Meanwhile, you may edit the winroute.cfg file manually and change the field 'Hostname' in the 'Misc' table.

We do care for our customers and our technical support will be happy to help you with any issues you might have with our products.

Hello there! even like almost 3 year latter your reply help me.

I have this issue, I installed Kerio on a server called "word1-word2" and when kerio force the user to authenticated the navigation translate this as "http://word1%20word2/etc..."

so the most pcs cant resolve the domain. I changed the Server name but the kerio keep using the old one. Thanks to your guide to modify the cfg file its works nice, so thank you very much for that! Smile

Previous Topic: 7.4.0 Beta 1
Next Topic: How do I force a non domain users to log out of the firewall when deactivate the account
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Sep 20 07:48:56 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00469 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.