Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrating mailstore
  •  
skeates

Send a private message to this user
Need some advice on migrating a mailstore to a new machine. The current mailstore is at about 500gb and I need to move it onto a new machine as the current one is running low on space and may have some faulty hardware in it.

This is will probably take the best part of a day to copy across. I tried it over the weekend, but had to abort as I ran into some trouble with some corrupted files and this is were I need the help.

Some of the files in the mailstore seem to be corrupted and I can not copy them. Finder just gives up. If i try zip the mailstore what ever program I use it just gets stuck on the corrupted files. Now I can't sit there the whole day and copy files manual across it's just not practical.

What I am going to now attempt to do is copy everything from the current server to the new one with rsync.

rsync --verbose --progress --stats --compress --recursive --times --perms --links root<_a.t_>currentserver:/source/ /destination

I am going to do this while the server is live. I plan to repeat it once a night over the course of a week and check that no errors occur. I am then going to shut the kerio down on the current server over the weekend and run the rsync again which will hopefully only need to deal with the changed or added files. Once that is complete bring the new server online.

The reason for using the rsync is so I can eliminate the massive downtime involved as well as it seems to deal with the corrupted files better.

Does this sound like a doable option any one?
  •  
My IT Indy

I use rsync all the time for migrating KMS. Here's the syntax I use:

rsync -avz -e --delete /Mailstore username<_a.t_>otherserver:/other mailserver location

Everything else you have looks good.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
skeates

I realized I had the --delete missing in there. From what I can see --delete only updates the destination not the source which is what I want. Is this correct just to confirm.
  •  
My IT Indy

That is correct.

Also, if you're moving data between servers it's a good idea to use SSH.

rsync -avz -e ssh --delete

[Updated on: Mon, 18 May 2009 00:12]

-
My IT Indy
  •  
skeates

Thanks HoosierMac

Any reason for the ssh other than security? The transfer I am doing is local. Oh I have to say another thank you as I checked your website and noticed you use crash plan.

I used it a while back, but forgot the name of it and for the life of me have being trying to remember what it was called for the last few months.

Thanks for joggin my memory.
  •  
My IT Indy

I use SSH for remote migrations, you don't need to use it for local moving of the mailstore.

I really like Crashplan, it supports disk to disk to offsite backups so nicely. Just don't point it at your mailstore like one client did. Yikes, they had 1TB of backed up email files in about a week's time.

-
My IT Indy
Previous Topic: 1
Next Topic: Salesforce integration
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 21:00:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.