Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Help with Outlook performance problems
  •  
renefn

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We're running Kerio MailServer 6.7 and are using KOFF on Outlook 2003. Several users are complaining about slowness in Outlook.

Som users complain about that it takes a long time for Outlook to display an email when they click on it. They're using the three column view.

Some users complain that the contextual menu takes a long time to display when right clicking on an email.

Some users complain that Outlook is slow when moving emails from the inbox to other folders (or probably between any folders).

The clients hardware are very different, some are running on very new Lenovo Thinkpads with plenty of horsepower, and some are running on older HP small form factor computers with 1GB RAM.

All computers have the latest Symantec Endpoint Protection antivirus software installed.

The server is pretty powerfull and isn't working hard. I can't imagine that it's the source of the problems since not all users are complaining and almost everytime that the users that complain try to show me the problem then there's no real problem..

Can it be the antivirus software that scans the KOFF database and slows things down? Can it be that KOFF is very memory hungry or just hangs sometimes?

Any suggestions are welcome since I would really like to get rid of this problem...

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
keithd1229

I have had the best performance with at least 2GB of ram.

Plus, if you are running virus scanning on the server you can stop the scanning of the locally stored emails on your individual computers because all emails are scanned as they come and go before they get to your computer.
Exclude the following from your local virus scanner: C:\Documents and Settings\User.Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Kerio\Outlook Connector\Kerio* . . .

You may also try disabling the Windows XP or Vista search index by (for windows xp sp3) right clicking on Drive C:\, selecting properties and going to the general tab and deselecting the box describing the search index.
  •  
renefn

We had machines with only 512MB RAM but upgraded them all to at least 1GB when we realized that KOFF+Outlook seemed to take more RAM than Exchange+Outlook. We can't upgrade all clients further since 1GB should suffice. When I check the Task Manager, then it seems that 1GB is plenty.

I know that I can exclude the folder where KOFF stores its database, but that would require me to do that on every workstation and for every users that logs in. I would really like to avoid that... As far as I understand it I can't use variables like %userprofile% on Symantec Management Console when exluding folders for scanning.

I will try and disable the index on some machines just for testing, but it seems a bit drastic to disable built-in Windows features just to get decent performance with KOFF. But it's worth a shot.

Thank you for your suggestions!

[Updated on: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:08]

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
Previous Topic: public folder
Next Topic: KIMT no SSL?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 11:22:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00349 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.