Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.7.0 and Open Directory GAL synchronisation
  •  
indigospring

Send a private message to this user
So I've updated a client to 6.7. They make heavy use of the GAL and have several hundred contacts stored in the Public Contacts folder. The new GAL synchronisation with Open Directory feature in 6.7 sounds great, but can someone explain exactly what it does? The single paragraph in the release notes is vague in the extreme.

Does it synchronise in both directions between OD and Kerio's Public Contacts?

Does it synchronise only users activated in Kerio? Or all entries?

How often does it synchronise? How can you force it do sync?

What records and fields are synchronised?

Can I finally get rid of Entourage and use Apple's Directory to maintain the GAL? (At the moment one user has Entourage set up in order to maintain the Public Contacts folder as this has been the only way to do this. I would like to stop using Entourage altogether as its resource requirements for memory and diskspace are frankly ridiculous).

I've tried adding a contact using Directory and it does not show up in the Public Contacts folder. I've tried adding a new user and they do not show up in the Public Contacts folder either (although they obviously show up in Directory). Their additional email addresses do not get synced back. So far I just can't see any evidence of it doing anything...
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

indigospring wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 16:56

So I've updated a client to 6.7. They make heavy use of the GAL and have several hundred contacts stored in the Public Contacts folder. The new GAL synchronisation with Open Directory feature in 6.7 sounds great, but can someone explain exactly what it does? The single paragraph in the release notes is vague in the extreme.

Does it synchronise in both directions between OD and Kerio's Public Contacts?

It is a one-way synchronization from OpenDirectory or local user database to the public folder. All contact attributes added to the contact that are not in OD or local database remain in the contact.
Quote:

Does it synchronise only users activated in Kerio? Or all entries?

Yes. Only users activated in KMS are synchronized.
Quote:

How often does it synchronise? How can you force it do sync?

Every 60 minutes or immediately after every change in the user list in Kerio Administration Console.
Quote:

What records and fields are synchronised?

All fields available in the OD which have some meaning in the contact (VCARD).
Particularly:
uid
title
cn
personalTitle
generationQualifier
givenName
sn
o
ou
homePostalAddress
Business Address:
postOfficeBox
roomNumber
street
l
st
postalCode
c

Phone numbers:
telephoneNumber
homePhone
mobile
internationalISDNNumber
facsimileTelephoneNumber
pager
telexNumber
ipPhone
otherTelephone
otherFacsimileTelephoneNumber
kerio-Mail-Preferred-Address, kerio-Mail-Address, mail
jpegPhoto
labeledURI
apple-webloguri
apple-imhandle
description
Quote:

Can I finally get rid of Entourage and use Apple's Directory to maintain the GAL? (At the moment one user has Entourage set up in order to maintain the Public Contacts folder as this has been the only way to do this. I would like to stop using Entourage altogether as its resource requirements for memory and diskspace are frankly ridiculous).

No, Unfortunately, Apple Address Book cannot manage contacts in different folders on Kerio server. It can sync public contacts (GAL) but is not able to create them. There are also other limitations of the Address Book - it can't manage two same contacts. Ie. if you have same contact in your local contact list and GAL, AddressBook will show (and edit) only one of them.
Quote:

I've tried adding a contact using Directory and it does not show up in the Public Contacts folder. I've tried adding a new user and they do not show up in the Public Contacts folder either (although they obviously show up in Directory). Their additional email addresses do not get synced back. So far I just can't see any evidence of it doing anything...

[/quote]
The user must be activated in Kerio Mailserver in order to publish his contact info in the GAL.
  •  
indigospring

Aah. Thanks for the reply.

That makes this feature less useful for me and my client, then. Sad

So, basically every 60 minutes any updates added to a user's details via Workgroup Manager will get added to Kerio's Public Contacts folder, as long as that user has been activated in Kerio.

The Apple tool for maintaining shared contacts in Open Directory is "Directory", not "Address Book". It's in the Utilities folder. It would be great if this could be supported.
  •  
matino

Is it possible to set which data should be synchronized and which not?
  •  
winkelman

matino wrote on Fri, 19 June 2009 11:05

Is it possible to set which data should be synchronized and which not?

In the configuration of the user itself you can specify it should not sync (default is on).
  •  
matino

Yes, I know about that option, but my question was, if I can choose which parameters sync and which not (globally).
For example, some users have more aliases, and I want to show only the main address and first alias (by default it is also shown second alias, which is not desirable to be "public" Smile)
  •  
sedell

I reported the same issue with the GAL and Active Directory synchronization. We have some people with several additional addresses that shouldn't be published in the GAL. I was told creating the contact with all of the addresses is by design. I argued the logic behind that, and I think got them to see the issue it creates, and that it's just plain pointless to have multiple addresses in the same domain published. Because it was "by design", all I could get was a suggestion filed, and not a bug.

Scott
  •  
cirilli

We recently installed Kerio as part of a move to open directory. We needed to re-create a user in Open Directory and as a result add him tour our user's list in Kerio. Rather than than set up his authentication through Kerberos, we inadvertently set it as internal...any suggestions as to how we can change it back to Kerberos?

Jim Cirilli
Previous Topic: KOFF disconnects network connections when syncing
Next Topic: Radius authentication for WebMail access
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 22:54:33 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00484 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.