Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Connector using 6X the memory of Outlook 2007
  •  
exportgoldman

Send a private message to this user

Hello Everyone,

I am running Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 RC1 x64, the KoffBackend.exe process is using up 178,272K of memory, Outlook 2007 is only using 28,400K of memory.

Why would the connector use over 6 times the memory of the email program?

Is this a memory leak? (the machine has been running for 13 days.) or just normal????

The version of koffbackend.exe is 6.7.0.7660 T0

•  
dexterb

Seems like you and I are the only ones on Kerio's forum who notice or care about this issue. On my system the Kerio offiline connector 6.7.3-7892 always runs hot, right now it's at 267,892K of 4Gb memory. This happened when I used Office 2003 on Windows XP too, but I've changed to a newer Vista system with Office 2007, but get the same results. The longer I leave on my system the bigger it grows.

What's more, on any system the Koffbackend.exe doesn't self-remove from memory after exiting Outlook 2007. Even hours after exiting Outlook the Koffbackend.exe sits there happily hogging the 267K of RAM. I don't understand it. Sure, I can kill the task or reboot but I wonder why the problem exists.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

dexterb wrote on Thu, 04 March 2010 19:55

What's more, on any system the Koffbackend.exe doesn't self-remove from memory after exiting Outlook 2007. Even hours after exiting Outlook the Koffbackend.exe sits there happily hogging the 267K of RAM. I don't understand it. Sure, I can kill the task or reboot but I wonder why the problem exists.

This is usually caused by Windows Search (or other application) which keeps MAPI interface opened and still indexing the items from Outlook profile on background. KoffBackend is used not only by Outlook but with any application that requests access to Outlook profile or data.
  •  
dexterb

Thanks. I can understand that occurring in Vista. I will disable indexing (the Windows Search service) and see if that helps. But the same problem occurred in WinXP without Windows Search indexing. Perhaps Google Desktop does a similar thing?

It's still troubling how the KoffBackend.exe process grows so huge. Right now mine's at 100Mb just an hour after reboot.
  •  
exportgoldman

I have a client potentially looking at Kerio server, but it's not cost effective for them as they would have to upgrade the memory in all their 250 desktop machines to allow the koffbackend.exe to have sufficent memory to run.

In my view it's poorly written software if its consuming this much memory - but as you say no one else here or from Kerio seems to care...
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

It's normal that database-based applications use memory for caching data.
Do the numbers you mentioned represent virtual process memory or real allocated memory?
  •  
exportgoldman

The memory is Private Working Set, for example Outlook uses this much

Outlook 128MB Peak Working Set 38MB Private Working Set 71MB Commit size
KoffBackend 220MB 128 Peaking Working Set, 38MB Private Working Set, 71MB Committ Size.

So, my impressions from this is that we need an additional 220MB of memory, (128 Real/71MB virtual) to support e-mail if we add Kerio onto a machine. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm suprised that Outlook with all it's functionality (and caching) still needs HALF THE MEMORY of the connector for Kerio.
  •  
dexterb

My experience doesn't imply that koffbackend.exe CANNOT run with less memory, but it just added to the system overhead. I haven't tested KOFF in a machine with less than 1Gb RAM.

If koffbackend.exe functions as an offline database server of sorts then it's understandable, but unacceptable, that it consume lots of RAM. Our Pervasive database does the same thing but at least I can throttle it back so it doesn't use up all available RAM. Does anyone know of a memory tweak for koffbackend.exe?
  •  
dexterb

After enduring this bloat up through version 7.2.1 I updated my server to 7.2.3 (and consequently all my users updated KOff to the most recent version) this memory issue has disappeared. Two big things I've noticed is that KoffBackend.exe typically stays in the 40K range (instead of growing to 267K) and secondly this module unloads itself within seconds of closing Outlook. Yay!
Previous Topic: Server program can't send email via SMTP
Next Topic: images from other websites option
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 10:50:47 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00629 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.