Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.7 - IMAP problem with Mulberry
  •  
pwhodges

Send a private message to this user
KMS 6.7 does not play nicely with the Mulberry IMAP mail client, which is the one I use everywhere. Everything seems OK for a while, but soon it becomes apparent that when a new mail appears, although Mulberry reports it, it does not get displayed in the folder listing. Closing the folder's IMAP connection and reopening it then displays the new message as expected.

I have not yet had an opportunity to trace what is happening, and have reverted to KMS 6.6.2 to restore normal working meantime, and IMAP operations in Mulberry immediately work correctly again (without even restarting it).

Mulberry has not changed - and the change in behaviour (either way) happens as soon as KMS is changed, without Mulberry being restarted - but a restart doesn't help either.

Paul
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

KMS 6.7.0 is introducing NAMESPACE command in IMAP. This command is required by some clients to recognize private and public folders. It is possible that some clients may not be compatible with it.

I recommend enabling IMAP debug logging in KMS Administration Console and contacting our technical support. We would like to investigate this issue.
  •  
j.a.duke

pwhodges wrote on Tue, 26 May 2009 17:56

KMS 6.7 does not play nicely with the Mulberry IMAP mail client, which is the one I use everywhere. Everything seems OK for a while, but soon it becomes apparent that when a new mail appears, although Mulberry reports it, it does not get displayed in the folder listing. Closing the folder's IMAP connection and reopening it then displays the new message as expected.

I have not yet had an opportunity to trace what is happening, and have reverted to KMS 6.6.2 to restore normal working meantime, and IMAP operations in Mulberry immediately work correctly again (without even restarting it).

Mulberry has not changed - and the change in behaviour (either way) happens as soon as KMS is changed, without Mulberry being restarted - but a restart doesn't help either.

Paul

Paul,

I was a Mulberry devotee for many years (1996ish-2008). Fast, uncomplicated, and secure since its default isn't to cache any local copies of mail. Unfortunately, it just hasn't kept up with the times especially with formatted emails, etc.

My Mulberry funkiness started when I installed KMS 6.6, so I'm surprised that you've survived this long.

I haven't kept up with what Cyrus is doing to update the app, but I think the issue with internal to Mulberry. You can also turn on logging in Mulberry (on the Mac I believe that you hold down option while selecting Preferences to get to the logging options).

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
pwhodges

OK - I shall try again, logging what happens at both ends of the link, and contact tech support with the results.

j.a.duke wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 17:47

My Mulberry funkiness started when I installed KMS 6.6, so I'm surprised that you've survived this long.

Presumably that was the IMAP delete problem, which was resolved by setting a config flag to restore the behaviour according to the RFC (see here).

Paul

[Updated on: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:34]

•  
pwhodges

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 16:19

I recommend enabling IMAP debug logging in KMS Administration Console

I don't see that in the console.

The "operations" log seems to record IMAP Delete commands, but nothing helpful for this problem.

Is it a matter of changing one of the flags at the end of the config file to select event categories for the debug log? In which case, is the "imaps" one appropriate, as there is none called just "imap"?

Paul
  •  
pwhodges

I have now tried this with IMAP logging on in both Kerio MailServer and Mulberry.

* I send a message to the server

* Mulberry sends IMAP "NOOP"
* Server responds correctly "549 EXISTS", "1 RECENT"

* Mulberry sends "FETCH 549"
* Server responds correctly listing the message details

* Mulberry sends "SORT (ARRIVAL) us-ascii ALL"
* Server sends incorrect response listing only 548 messages - message 549 is omitted (Mulberry's log gives the full listing; the server IMAP log merely says it did it, and adds no useful information)

At this point Mulberry has added the new message to the count of unread messages for the mailbox, but is not showing it in the message list.
So I close and reopen the mailbox in Mulberry:

* Mulberry sends "UNSELECT"
* Server does it

* Mulberry sends "SELECT INBOX"
* Server does it; response includes "549 EXISTS", "0 RECENT"

* Mulberry sends "SEARCH UNSEEN"
* Server responds "SEARCH 549"

* Mulberry sends "SEARCH DELETED"
* Server responds "SEARCH " [there aren't any]

* Mulberry sends "MYRIGHTS INBOX"
* Server responds with details

* Mulberry sends "SORT (ARRIVAL) us-ascii ALL"
* Server sends correct list including message 549

So the server is seeing the message, but is not including it in the SORT list the first time it is asked - leading Mulberry to omit it from the display as it doesn't know where to place it. The attached file contains the logs.

Paul

PS - I have now submitted this to tech support.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 June 2009 15:47]

•  
pwhodges

An update after six months.

This is bug number 40835, and has still not been fixed in v6.7.3; I haven't tried the beta of 7, in case it is harder to revert to the working version from there.

Paul

[Updated on: Sat, 26 December 2009 12:19]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Thank you for the logs. We've identified the problem. It is scheduled to be fixed in next KMS version.
Previous Topic: Nokia E75 usb agenda/e-mail sync
Next Topic: Upgrading To 6.7.3
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 06:17:34 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00477 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.