Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Some More Guidance please...
  •  
bradholland

Send a private message to this user
Hi Again,

Ok, first off I will explain our setup a little.

as a couple of staff have moved to miami so I have migrated our exchange server on to the internet (a remote accessible windows box in ft.lauderdale). The migration all went smooth so everything great there.

As I cant completley trust the setup yet our email is still getting recieved by our ISP. kerio in turn then downloads the messages by pop into the user accounts i have set up.
for each email account on our isp server I have mirrored in kerio.

ok all good, however, I have set kerio to use its own dns servers (i presume the dns server the box gets fed from inside the datacenter) to send smtp mail.

a lot of mail keeps bouncing with errors. heres an example.

The server was not able to deliver your mail message
to the following addresses:

<labelsupport<_a.t_>beatport.com> (beatport.com.inbound10.mxlogic.net: Cannot connect to remote host)
This is just a temporary error. The server will continue to attempt to deliver
the message. If the message cannot be delivered in the defined time limit you will
be informed again.

now at the moment our KMS only exists on the internet as an IP address, it has no dns name at the moment, will this cause an issue?
most mail gets delivered but a chunk of it doesnt, or for some reason gets recieved as spam by a lot of people.

what i wanted to do is send it by smtp to our ISP server and have that deliver it, but our ISP requires that each account authenticate before sending. and it would seem (hopefully im doing something stupid) that KMS only has the option to fill out 1 username/password into the remote smtp authentication box????

each of our users have a different password etc..

can anyone shed any light on these matters...

and is there any chance of getting a trial extension before we fully take the plunge on this? (i could do with proving that we wont have any problems with it before i get the boss to cough up for it)

Thanks
B

•  
TorW

bradholland wrote on Tue, 09 June 2009 17:11

ok all good, however, I have set kerio to use its own dns servers (i presume the dns server the box gets fed from inside the datacenter) to send smtp mail.

Do you mean the KMS server is also running a DNS server or that you are using an internal server somewhere? If you aren't sure whether KMS can resolve names or not, you can use OpenDNS' servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

bradholland wrote on Tue, 09 June 2009 17:11

now at the moment our KMS only exists on the internet as an IP address, it has no dns name at the moment, will this cause an issue?
most mail gets delivered but a chunk of it doesnt, or for some reason gets recieved as spam by a lot of people.

Not having a proper DNS name on teh intarnets WILL get you into trouble. Quite a few mail servers will either temporarily or permanently reject mails coming from a machine that doesn't resolve forwards and backwards. You are currently indistinguishable from the garden variety spam-spewing zombie machine.

Those who aren't outright rejecting you for lack of a name, will punish you in their content filters. And, of course, a lot of mail servers will accept the mail without any DNS checks.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 June 2009 19:32]

•  
bradholland

thank you very much for your response TorW, really appreciated.

Ok so i should point a domain name to our server and have the company that set it up for us.

does it matter to other mail servers if our KMS servername resolves to a domain name that is different to the domain used in our email addresses?

i.e addresses are using the domain gfab-records.com
but can i name the server gfaboffice.com without it causing problems?

thanks again
Brad
  •  
TorW

The DNS hostname of the KMS server doesn't matter as long as it resolves both ways, i.e. if you look up the IP address in DNS you should get the hostname and vice versa.

Lots of organisations have outsourced their mail to someone else. Mail from one of the largest newspapers in the UK comes from messagelabs.com.

Remember that the internet canonical KMS hostname (hostname to IP) must be set up by whoever runs the authorative zone for the domain of the mail server. For gfab-records.com, this would be supremedns.com. But (!), the reverse assignment (IP to hostname) must be done by the organisation you lease IP space from. I don't know who that is, but hopefully you do Wink
Previous Topic: Exchange On-Behalf-Of in Entourage 2008?
Next Topic: Kerio Offline
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 15:29:19 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00457 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.