Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Office 12.1.9 - safe to install? (Is it safe to install the Office 2008 patch?)
  •  
fastred

Send a private message to this user
Microsoft has released a patch for MS Office for Mac 2008, numbered 12.1.9:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971822/

This patch includes:

"In addition, this update readies Office 2008 for Mac for the installation of Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac Web Services Edition. "

Given we don't know if Kerio 6.7 will support the new "web services" - is it safe to install this patch?

Has anyone done so and does Entourage still work with Kerio after the patch?

Regards

Jeremy
  •  
Will Mayall

fastred wrote on Tue, 09 June 2009 15:42

Has anyone done so and does Entourage still work with Kerio after the patch?

I've installed the patch on 3 Macs without any obvious issues. Entourage continues to properly connect to the Kerio server as an Exchange client.

Will Mayall
  •  
jhtinc

This patch shouldn't make any difference at this time to Exchange connectivity as implemented in Entourage today (which uses the OWA interface to connect - Kerio is compatible with this).

What the forthcoming version of Entourage brings to Mac/Exchange users (at least those running Exchange 2007 SP1 + Rollup 4) is connection using the new EWS (Exchange Web Services) interface. It's supposed to be way more efficient, faster, and supports much more functionality than the OWA interface does. I've used it in some test environments and it pretty much does as advertised.

What remains to be seen is whether Kerio will implement this on the back-end themselves (Microsoft is sending signals that imply that EWS will eventually supplant MAPI, but that may just be my interpretation of things - that is where they are pushing developers, though). Kerio hasn't said anything that I'm aware of about EWS, and they are unlikely to post anything in this thread as their policies state. Note, though, that Microsoft also says that Outlook will remain MAPI-based at this time (which means that the KMS plugin will still be needed for sure).

Down the road I think that most vendors of Exchange-compatible systems will move to EWS as it exposes much more functionality to clients with greater efficiency, and Microsoft themselves are getting away from the OWA system.
Previous Topic: Resource Calendar Event Name
Next Topic: Important: Issues with updates KB946983 and KB952142 for Outlook 2007 with KOC
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Sep 26 03:53:44 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00344 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.