Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Can Kerio comment on this (Apple related)?
  •  
stevvot

Send a private message to this user
Hi, after watching the Apple WWDC keynote and reading some other stuff online, I'm wondering which direction Kerio will go with the MailServer product.

With Snow Leopard SERVER, Apple is introducing iCal Server 2, along with some other improvements in Mail and Address Book.

With Snow Leopard CLIENT, Apple has announced that Mail, iCal, and Address Book will all support Exchange 2007 natively.

I'm wondering which method Kerio will pursue for Mac users and which way will give us the most functionality. Will Kerio Mailserver emulate Exchange 2007 for Mac clients that way, or will Kerio Mailserver add the functions that the new iCal server 2 has?

I'm particularly interested in which method might give iPhone or other Exchange Activesync users access to public calendars wirelessly.

Anyone, especially Kerio admins, have any comments?

Thanks!
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I'm sorry but this forum is not intended to provide official public announcements or comments from Kerio.

I'm not going to comment Snow Leopard features. It's still a beta and under NDA.
I can't talk about public folders on Exchange - it's a question for Microsoft. But the truth is that neither the protocol (ActiveSync) nor devices (WM, iPhone) are designed to support shared or public folders or user permissions.

However, as you probably know, new iPhone firmware contains CalDAV client. You can create multiple CalDAV accounts and use them for subscribing shared calendars of other users or resources or public calendars. This unique feature will be available only with Kerio MailServer. Exchange users cannot see public calendars in the iPhone.
  •  
My IT Indy

Personally, Kerio will still rule the roost because Snow Leopard Server has no Outlook support (that I can tell). Sure, it will be great for Mac users however I don't know of too many 100% Mac shops, all have at least a few Windows computers that will need to connect.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
jshaw541

stevvot wrote on Wed, 10 June 2009 18:05

Hi, after watching the Apple WWDC keynote and reading some other stuff online, I'm wondering which direction Kerio will go with the MailServer product.

With Snow Leopard SERVER, Apple is introducing iCal Server 2, along with some other improvements in Mail and Address Book.

With Snow Leopard CLIENT, Apple has announced that Mail, iCal, and Address Book will all support Exchange 2007 natively.

I'm wondering which method Kerio will pursue for Mac users and which way will give us the most functionality. Will Kerio Mailserver emulate Exchange 2007 for Mac clients that way, or will Kerio Mailserver add the functions that the new iCal server 2 has?

I'm particularly interested in which method might give iPhone or other Exchange Activesync users access to public calendars wirelessly.

Anyone, especially Kerio admins, have any comments?

Thanks!

I think I'm safe in this discussion, since we're only discussing stuff that's on Apple's public website. But I would assume the Snow Leopard Exchange functionality will eventually work with Kerio assuming that KMS reaches feature parity with the required Exchange version (Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 Update Rollup 4, according to their public website).

Kerio won't discussion their future releases publicly, but I imagine they would work towards compatibility in the future.*

* I am not affiliated with Kerio in any other way than as a customer.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
rkovelman

The real question is how will Kerio interact with the new Entourage.

As far as Apple Mail server, windows can still interact via IMAP and POP. Calendar and contacts I can not speak to though.
Previous Topic: Munin & Nagios integration
Next Topic: Reply All now sends to own address
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Oct 21 21:26:33 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00381 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.