Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » server hardware recommendation for ~450 users please
  •  
p0ddie

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

a customer plans to implement KMS for about 450 users. 95% will be Entourage 2008 users, some Outlook users. Almost everyone will have a mobile device (iPhone) for ActiveSync. Every user will have a quota of ~4GB on the server. There will be many mails per day, a lot of them with large attachments. The server will be hosted in a data centre with at least a 100mbit connection to the interwebs.

I thought about a HP Proliant DL180G6 server: 2.26Ghz quad core xeon, 8gb RAM, 8 1 TB SATA drives on a SmartArray P212 controller (RAID6).

Will this do or do you recommend some more horsepower? I could go with SAS or up to 12 drives, but that adds to the costs... Server will run CentOS, of course.

Thanks!

[Updated on: Fri, 12 June 2009 14:01]

•  
My IT Indy

I would get faster HD's, get SAS drives if possible. KMS requires very little ram and cpu utilization.

I have one customer with 250 users on a PowerEdge 2650 with 5x15K scsi drives in RAID5 and the CPU utilization is maybe 15% with 2x2.4Ghz processors and 1GB of ram. The fast drives make all the difference.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
sjourney

I would get fastest Drives possible, and lots of them, and Raid 10.

I had a Dell Storage expert run our numbers. 630 users, all outlook, 80 phones.

What he said...

It looks like you consistently run around 500 read IOPs and 1500 write IOPs.

For RAID 10 with your numbers:

500 + 2*1500=3500/180= 20 drives (rounded)

For R5

500 +4*1500= 6500/180 = 36

•  
elias

I agree that you'll probably want faster drives, but at a minimum, you must use RAID 10. The parity overhead of RAID 5 or RAID 6 will destroy your performance.

Similarly, I'd upgrade the controller too. The stock P212 has no memory, but can be upgraded to 256 MB of R/W cache. I'd highly suggest that with the number of users, that you upgrade to a full P800 with 512MB of R/W cache.
  •  
p0ddie

great, thanks for the advice. I'll consider a 1U server and a 2U SAS iSCSI raid then...
  •  
tek_san

I woud consider a fault tolerant setup. Depending on a single machine is a risky business.
450 users banging on my door until I have setup a new mailserver is no nice vision..
How important is communication in your business, how much outtime can you afford?
We have setup a system that reduces our downtime in case of a broken mailserver or filesystem to something about 2 minutes.
regards

oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
Previous Topic: 1 alias, multiple outside destinations
Next Topic: LDAP schema
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 19:45:00 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00397 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.