Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Load Balancing with Win. 2008 Server Problems (Any input helps!)
  •  
kaptain1

Send a private message to this user
Hey Everyone,

We just upgraded our KWF server to Windows Server 2008 Std., and now having the following problem:

2 ADSL lines that are Load Balancing are working OK for short period of time, but then 1 of the lines ALWAYS goes into UP/Inactive state.

===================

We've checked everything possible, tried setting up PPPoE to be dialed from the server, but nothing helps.

The problem has been traced to some sort of incompatibility of KWF with Windows 2008 Server Std. O/S.

Any ideas?
Why would 2008 Server always set one of the WAN connections to 'Inactive'?

Thanks in advance!
  •  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

Right click the debug log and enable 'Internet Connectivity' debugging messages. There you should see the reason why a link goes to the inactive state.

Jan Jezek
Product Development Manager - Kerio Control
Kerio Technologies
  •  
kaptain1

Thanks for the tip!

Here's what's happening as i observed:

1. KWF sets both interfaces as UP/Active (once it gets their public IP's).
2. Once it acquired its IP's, it attempts to PING the 'probe IP' that I set-up (OpenDNS ip addres: 208.67.222.222). One of the Internet Nics successfully receives responce, but the SECOND Internet NIC always gets "probe timeout" after 3 timeouts it sets the connection to UP/Inactive.

end of story.. Sad, this has never happened on our XP Pro or W2003 machines, only this new Windows 2008 Server

More of observations:
The 2nd NIC that shows up as Inactive doesn't have a Default Gateway when i do IPCONFIG. Hovewer, KWF gets the gateway IP from somewhere and shows it in its "Interfaces" tab.

To me it seems like Windows2008 doesn't like having 2 different GATEWAYS from different NICs.

Any ideas?

Thanks for helping Sad
  •  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

That's correct behavior with the 1 gateway. As a test, try to configure higher bandwidth on the failing link than you have on the other one. That should make the other gateay visible in the system. Then observe if anything changes in the debug log.

Jan Jezek
Kerio Technologies
  •  
kaptain1

But in the beginning, KWF gets gateway information for both Internet connections, then only 1 of them remains Active.

Why would it make 2nd NIC inactive since it's configured as "Load Balancing", and not fail-over?

Also:
After few minutes, the 2nd Inactive gateway looses its IP if i do IPCONFIG (shows up as 169.x.x.x), however, it still shows its IP address in KWF.

I will try your suggestion and report back *hopefully w/ new insights*.

Thanks!

•  
kaptain1

Hello,

I've tried your suggestion, and increased the shared bandwidth on the "Inactive" link. That haven't changed anything.

Is there any specific additional things I have to configure in Windows 2008 Server to get Load Balancing work properly?

Please advice,

Thank You!
  •  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

For some reason KWF is unable to ping the probe host through the link. There are many possible causes from a conflicting software to a bad NIC driver. Have you checked your RRAS service configuration, BTW?

To determine what's going wrong, I suggest you contact Kerio's technical support.

Jan Jezek
Kerio Technologies
  •  
Nikxx

Never had that kind of problem and i am using kerio with a 2008 server.

Try setting the ping for the modem lan address.

My msn is : nikxx<_a.t_>bol.com.br ( just in case you want to discuss it more further. )

Cya !
Previous Topic: Port Forwarding to Internal Server on seperate VLAN
Next Topic: Install Kerio through RDP on a hosted server?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:56:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00520 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.