Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Why AutoExpungeOnDelete?
  •  
stewie

Send a private message to this user
Since this is not IMAP compliant & can therefore cause problems with IMAP clients (as it does with Apple Mail.app), I'm trying to figure out why this was added. Obviously there must have been a good reason but I can't find anything of value. Anyone know? I'm just curious. TIA!
  •  
winkelman

Reason was that for many IMAP end-users it was 'strange' that deleting a message did not really delete it, but merely marked it for deletion upon an expunge.

Yes, that is the way IMAP is supposed to work. But Kerio decided that making end-users accept that's the way it's supposed to work is impossible (I agree with Kerio on this Twisted Evil ) and thus Kerio decided to change the server-side behavior of an IMAP delete (I disagree with Kerio on that!).

I think standards should be sticked to as closely as possible. Changing server-side behavior makes all kinds of problems possible. Like we've already seen now with Apple's mail app. It maybe a bug in the mail app, but still, it would not have been a problem if the server behaved as it 'should' according to protocol. Deveoplers of IMAP clients can (and will) only test against standards-adhering IMAP servers and thus will never catch errors like this.

Kerio might have made this option available, but they should have not turned it on by default.

just my 2 cents.
  •  
stewie

Thanks, winkelman! Makes sense & I completely agree with your comments.

Agreed, it's a poor choice to make this noncompliant option the default. Moreover, it seems odd it's hidden in a conf file instead of being an option in the admin interface.

Also, since this is nonstandard, the current implementation seems unusual. For example, when Kerio autoexpunges it reports to the client that the now-deleted message is still there. That seems like a bug to me because I can't think how this behavior would ever be beneficial (since, after all, the message is gone so there's nothing you can do with/to it).

But don't get me wrong. Kerio is fantastic server & I'm glad we run it.

Thanks again for your comment.
Previous Topic: Version 6.7.0 Patch 1
Next Topic: License question / feature request
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 08:57:00 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00382 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.