Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » CalDav issue when viewing shared calendars via iCal
  •  
j.turley

Send a private message to this user
Hi, we have been using Kerio Mail Server and the new CalDAV features with iCal for a while now and its been running smoothly but the last few days or so we have run into a problem that's got me stumped.

All of our users have had their default calendar setup to be shared (read only) by everyone in our local domain. This has been working well and everyone can see everyone else's calendars in iCal, that was until a few days ago. Now two of our users can be viewed in iCal but the calendar data just doesn't refresh and appears blank when another they try to look at it. The actual CalDav account that is setup for the user appears fine to him.

I've had a hunt around in the config files in the users calendar files and have found a file that I think may be causing this.... Its the file called 'status.fld'.

I've pasted in the contents of this config file along with a known good one to show the subtle differences between the two. Notice the entry called 'Calendar' after the 'Y'... doesn't seem normal!

Quote:

T2
G676D8C15-13A1-11D9-8DFC-000A27D79918
V415d46b9
U00000151
C00000001
M267
P1
D0
R0
N0
E0
S327404
O00000000
Z00000000
L00000011
K000007ca
WIPF.Appointment
YCalendar
Aauthuser<_a.t_>nicholashare.co.uk lr

Quote:

T2
G155A7AEF-12F7-11D9-8630-000A27D79918
V415c28f8
U00000190
C00000001
M90
P2
D0
R0
N0
E0
S114941
O00000000
Z00000000
L00000017
K00000729
WIPF.Appointment
Y
Aauthuser<_a.t_>nicholashare.co.uk lr

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong, could it be this strange entry?

We're running Kerio MailServer on Mac OS 10.4.11, iCal on Mac OS 10.5.7.

Thanks

Jason
  •  
hello

Jason,

I just sent a support email to Kerio regarding the same issue...Tiger Server with Leopard client u.sing iCal

After updating my mailserver from 6.6.2 to 6.7 suddenly *most* but not all of the calendars under the 'Delegates' heading in iCal are no longer showing any data. The calendar appears on the left column but there are no events listed in the calendar itself.

The client shows this error in console logs when you try to sync it to kerio:

Exception in -[CalDAVAccountRefreshQueueableOperation refreshWithExceptionHandling] :: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: AE33BB56-7D34-11D9-969F-000D939C8946-00000001.eml)

The delegated caledars show up fine in the WebClient and also in Entourage 2008...just not in iCal

I reinstalled mailserver 6.6.2 and everything worked again. Might this have something to do with 6.7 supporting PRIVATE events in iCal?

Have you or anyone found a resolution to this issue?

Is it just me or does Kerio not seem to be too interested in making things run correctly in iCal and AddressBook? Entourage seems to be what they want us to use on the mac?

Chris

•  
helping

We're having the same problem. Most machines that were set up before the update appear to work fine (from what I can tell so far). The machine in question had to be wiped and set back up from a previous backup. When I got it all back together, this machine and the same user's home machine are syncing fine. He can add in either location and see the changes in the other location. However, the rest of us can't see his calendar now. Just shows the calendar names that should be there on the top left, and a blank calendar.

Also getting a similar error:
7/20/09 5:04:11 PM iCal[481] Exception in -[CalDAVAccountRefreshQueueableOperation refreshWithExceptionHandling] :: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: 31DF135C-E84D-471A-8C23-3DE1E95CFA55.ics)

Are there any issues with reinstalling 6.6.2? Or can you just do this and everything will be back to the way it was? There weren't database changes that could cause problems?

Edit: Oh, and yeah, they appear to only want to support Entourage. We're iCal and AddressBook only and all of the bugs I have filed are still open from March and April, besides one which they added to some to do list and so called it completed in my ticket list.

Thanks, Ian

[Updated on: Tue, 21 July 2009 02:11]

•  
hello

Ian,

When I went back to 6.6.2 all I did was reinstall over the 6.7 installation without issue.

After going back to 6.6.2 everything was running as it was before.

I have since RE updated back to 6.7 Patch 1 just last week and Kerio Support has responded to this issue with the following info:

Please try the following: Stop KMS, delete the .caldav.db file located at /mail/, restart KMS and have the users create a new account in iCal. This will force KMS to rebuild the delegate information. Let us know if you continue to have problems.

I have yet to try this but am planning on doing it tonight or tomorrow.

I am a little confused as to the path of the caldav.db file listed in his response and sent and email asking for clarification.

Chris
  •  
j.turley

Chaps, my issue appears to be something related to broken MIME structures in some calendar events for some users.

Here is the response from Kerio UK:

Quote:

Hi, Jason

Messages 0000003f and 00000052 have a broken MIME structure; this means that they are causing all of the problems you have noticed with your calendars.

You can edit the calendar event, using VI is the easiest if you know your way around it, to remove the broken lines. The bit you are looking for reads:

-----

Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Design_Review_DCfW_JP
When=3A_07=3A00_-_22=3A30_Wednesday=2C_December_1?=
=?iso-8859-1?Q?0=2C_2008
Subject=3A=20

?=
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:58:44 +0000
Content-Type: text/calendar; component="vevent"; method="PUBLISH"; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

-----

This is from the file 0000003f.eml directly. As you can see, the subject line goes over 3 lines, you need to remove those two extra carriage returns, then save the file.

Please remember while you are doing this that none of your users who access this calendar should be online while you are editing this. If it is going to prove to be a problem getting everyone logged off (and being 100% sure they are logged off), you should stop the mailserver before editing any of these files.

I hope that this helps, but please feel free to contact us if you need any further advice or help.

Kind Regards,

Lisa Lyons
Technical Support Manager

It seemed like they had seen it previously and were working on a fix.

Jason
  •  
My IT Indy

cgilbert wrote on Tue, 21 July 2009 10:32

Ian,

I am a little confused as to the path of the caldav.db file listed in his response and sent and email asking for clarification.

Chris

It's inside the mail folder in your mailstore.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
hello

Thanks everyone for the help.

I will be testing some of this tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes.

<_a.t_>Hoosier - Thanks I saw the file there but just wanted some clarification. I appreciate it.

Chris
  •  
helping

Haven't tried downgrading yet, but I went through those instructions about the caldav.db file and I'm still having the same thing happen.

Stopped the server, removed the file, removed the accounts on both the owner and viewers accounts, started the server, recreated the accounts.

Thanks for the troubleshooting!

Ian
  •  
helping

Now I have tried downgrading and it fixed my ability to see the user's calendar.

I have another problem, which I don't know if it's related or not. When I found the first problem, this user's calendars had been switched to read only, and I had to select each and make them all editable. Well, this appears to have also happened with our four resource calendars. In the admin app, it's still set to have everyone from the domain able to use the resource. Should I post this as a separate topic, or have any of you having the "calendar not showing" problem had something similar happen?

Edit: I also just tried adding a new resource and that one only shows in iCal as a read-only calendar as well.

Thanks, Ian

[Updated on: Thu, 23 July 2009 02:22]

•  
helping

Just wanted to update this. I believe the Resource calendars not being directly changeable is the way it is intended to work. The one user must have changed his calendars to read only, as nobody else's account has switched randomly, and the fact that this seemed similar to what was occurring in the Resource calendars made me link the two. I believe now that this was just coincidence.

So, thanks! I'd call this issue fixed for me. I'd ask anyone who installs a newer version of Kerio to let us know if this issue has been fixed in the new versions.

Thanks again, Ian
  •  
Nick Barron

Hello,

I have a server running on 10.4 OS X Server with 10.5 clients using iCal and have started to have the same problems as described above. On one domain I have five users who can all read/write to each others calendars.

Everybody's calendars are working correctly except one user. Who can see everyone except for one person who's calendar appears in iCal but no events appear.

Everyone else can see this user and the events with no problems.

The following error appears on the client with the problem:

07/08/2009 12:05:45 iCal[601] Exception in -[CalDAVAccountRefreshQueueableOperation refreshWithExceptionHandling] :: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: 0C354560-122B-45A6-ACBE-F9CAFEED4908.ics)

Followed by multiple lines of this, almost seems as many repetitions of the error below as the user has has events in the calendar attempting to be shared.

07/08/2009 12:05:46 iCal[601] CaliTIPMessage: iTIP Message contained no events
07/08/2009 12:05:46 iCal[601] Calendaring data empty

I have seen the hint regarding altering the file if it has multiple spaces in it, however how to I locate the file that is causing the problem?

Anyone who could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative. I just need to know which file to look at Smile

We have numerous requests with Kerio but so far are not getting very far.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 August 2009 12:49]

•  
hello

OK...

So I upgraded 2 OSX Tiger Xserves for 2 clients from 6.7.1 to 6.7.2 that have the "iCal Delegate calendar not refreshing/displaying" issue with this error.

Exception in -[CalDAVAccountRefreshQueueableOperation refreshWithExceptionHandling] :: *** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value (key: FEBD5816-4BAF-49AE-978E-069B14F6EFBF.ics)

One of the fixes listed in 6.7.2 is regarding this issue

- Delegated CalDAV calendar in iCal could be displayed empty if the event contains invalid character.

----

After the update and a restart of my servers...no joy...I am getting the exact same error with the exact same issue.

Has this resolved the problem for anyone else?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

cgilbert wrote on Tue, 06 October 2009 06:08
OK...
After the update and a restart of my servers...no joy...I am getting the exact same error with the exact same issue.

Chris

The fix is a workaround for Apple iCal issue with incorrectly formatted events stored to the server. It fixes only new events. All old events have to be fixed manually. Contact our technical support for help.
  •  
j.a.duke

Just as an FYI for those whose search has brought them to this thread.

There is a knowledgebase article that describes the process to fix the broken events:
Fix Broken Calendar events for iCal aka I cannot view events in delegated Calendars when using iCal with CalDAV

I looked for this article in the KB, but didn't find it until getting ready to send a message to support.

The procedure outlined worked perfectly in my case.

Cheers,
Jon
  •  
marook

Just strange that these 'sanity checks' is not available to the admin via CLI or even the user via webmail.
Same thing goes for the 'rebuild index' of a folder!

Regards,

Jakob Peterhänsel
Consultant - Humac A/S

Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator (ACTC)
AppleSeed/CQF member since 1998
Kerio Messaging Partner
Previous Topic: Cannot receive e-mails
Next Topic: SMTP-Server / Relayserver / Username
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 07:37:40 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00577 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.