Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS 6.7 on Linode Ubuntu VPS - IPTables needed?
  •  
bwcole

Send a private message to this user
Hello all,

I have KMS 6.7 running on an Ubuntu VPS instance at Linode - it's turning out to be a great combination, by the way...

Just curious if you all feel that I should enable IPTables Firewall, or is it rugged enough without it - nothing else is running on the VPS except for KMS.

If I did enable IPTables, I would need to open ports for Web, management, SSH, Pop3 and IMAP.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Bryan
  •  
My IT Indy

I would DEFINITELY turn on IPTables. I got started hosting on Linode VPS's before finally having to get my own server.

Without IPTables you are wide open on the Internet.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
bwcole

HoosierMac, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.. Glad to hear of someone else that has had good luck with Linode!

Can I play devil's advocate for a minute, just for learning? let's say I enable IPTables, but i open up HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP, POP3, SSH, and Kerio Management ports.. Aren't those the only things that are listening on that VPS, and if so, wouldn't the net effect be the same w/o IP tables?
Anyhow, just curious for discussion purposes.

Thanks!
Bryan
  •  
My IT Indy

If you don't enable IPTables, every single port on your Linode is accessible from the Internet. That's a "Bad Thing."

If you enable IPTables, you can use Fail2Ban to read the IPTables log and block hacking attempts as they happen.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Previous Topic: Kerio Mailserver in Linode VPS - Need IPTables?
Next Topic: Issue enailing contacs between Kerio and exchange accounts
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 22:56:59 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00368 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.