Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » iCal Auto-Config Tool
  •  
mhallee

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I set up a few computers with the Kerio iCal Config Tool on OSX Leopard 10.5.6-10.5.7 and found out that some times, after I entered the kerio account login and password, the computer freezes. Unable to save documents and quit or force quit anything, I see the spinning wheel of death and nothing happens. Surprised I had to restart the computers with the power button. Any idea why it happens?

Plus, whether it freezes or not, when I open the iCal after the installation, it tells me my login/password to kerio mail server is wrong, and pops me a login window with the username, so I re-enter the password and it works fine.

Another thing, is there a way to install it via the Apple Remote Desktop, I have more than 100 computers to do.

Thanks

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

mhallee wrote on Fri, 17 July 2009 20:51

Plus, whether it freezes or not, when I open the iCal after the installation, it tells me my login/password to kerio mail server is wrong, and pops me a login window with the username, so I re-enter the password and it works fine.

This is correct. iCal requires to re-enter the password again on first start. This fact is mentioned in the auto-configuration tool (on the last wizard screen).
Quote:

Another thing, is there a way to install it via the Apple Remote Desktop, I have more than 100 computers to do.

Thanks

Unfortunately, this would be very difficult as the installation package is customized to each user and configures both iCal and Directory Service with user's username and password.
  •  
mhallee

Thanks!

Next time I get a freezing problem, I'll try to post the log file.
  •  
pmorenongmoco

I have found a workaround method in order to use Apple Remote Desktop or ARD to deploy the iCal autocomplete feature across a network with several machines. I feel Kerio should implement a solution such as this to help those of us who administer a large network where kicking a user off can be difficult. This is confirmed working in Leopard 10.5.8 as well as Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Here are the steps to my workaround:
*I have had a few Leopard users this did not work on for unknown reasons. The systems did previously have bindings. Note this method will blow out any existing bindings.

1. Create a new user in Kerio admin. For reference I will use "ldapuser". Give it a strong password and possibly restrict mail to it's domain only as well as put a forward on the account so that any mail sent to it won't end up in a mailbox that will never be seen or heard from again.

2. Using a test system & test profile with admin rights go ahead and login to Kerio Webmail and click the Integration with Mac link. Download the Auto-configure iCal (Mac OS X 10.5 and later) tool. Use your ldapuser credentials.

3. Install the tool using your ldapuser credentials.

4. Verify auto-complete works in iCal using the ldapuser that was setup using the tool.

5. Now using ARD setup a copy task to copy the following files from your test system onto the target systems.
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DSLDAPv3PluginConfig.p list
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/SearchNodeConfig.plist
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/ContactsNodeConfig.pli st
/Library/Preferences/DirectoryService/DirectoryService.plist

6. Have your users reboot their systems or forcefully reboot them (my favorite!).

I have been unable to find away to avoid a reboot. All attempts to restart the DirectoryService have been met with a hearty lockup. If anybody has anything to add to this I would appreciate it!

Sin,
-Paul
  •  
nzer

mhallee wrote on Fri, 17 July 2009 14:51

I set up a few computers with the Kerio iCal Config Tool on OSX Leopard 10.5.6-10.5.7 and found out that some times, after I entered the kerio account login and password, the computer freezes. Unable to save documents and quit or force quit anything, I see the spinning wheel of death and nothing happens. [img=images/smiley_icons/icon_surprised.gif]Surprised[/img] I had to restart the computers with the power button. Any idea why it happens?

I have also experienced these crashes but no one seems to be able to give me an answer either. I ended up having to manually configure those machines. I think the crash happens after the installer script inserts a new entry into Directory Services and then reloads it. It also seem to coincide with enabling SSL but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
  •  
pmorenongmoco

I think the lockups are related to the Directory Service modifications. In general I have had problems/lockups associated with bindings and adding LDAP/Open Directory servers manually.

Sin,
-Paul
  •  
bcoumerilh

I'm having the same issues where the computer essentially freezes when using the iCal config tool and now the Address Config Tool. I was able to deal with it with iCal because I could manually install it (a hassle) but with Address Book I can not. Anyone fine a fix or workaround for this? I'm thinking it has to do with Binding. Many times after I hard reboot it, it is all set up just fine - just don't like the step of holding down the power button.
  •  
nzer

I was never able to make the auto-config work perfectly for those machines it hung on. In order for 10.5's directory access to work correctly with Address Book and also iCal's auto address completion I had to edit the /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file to change TLS_REQCERT always to TLS_REQCERT never.

here's the article that pointed me in the right direction: http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20071203011158936

•  
pamcct

This happens if you've ever used the iCal config tool previously. Kerio places an entry in your Directory Utility.app LDAP screen for the mailserver.

The solution is to remove that KMS entry before you launch the iCal config tool. Once it's removed and the change is saved, you can install just fine.

That said, if you install the iCal config and then want to install the AddressBook config, you have to go back to Directory Utility.app and remove the KMS entry. Then launch the AddressBook Config tool and it will work.

You don't have to do iCal and then AddressBook. It can be the opposite way. But once you've done one, you must go through this process of removing the entry or you will surely lock up the system, tight.

Hope this helps.
  •  
bcoumerilh

Thanks pamcct - This happens to me whether I've removed the Directory Utility entry or not. I looked at the logs for a machine that freezes up and it looks like it is failing at the point of messing with the Keychain. Here is my log for one that freezes.......

Address Book Config Tool setup script started at 2/17/10 8:47:05 PM.
Mac OS version 10.6.2.

Running applications check started.
Running applications check finished.

PyObjC application generator started.
PyObjC application generator finished.

PyObjC application started.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Log opened.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Setting /Users/admin/Library/Logs/kerio-address-book-config-tool.log ownership to admin.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Kerio Connect Address Book/Directory Service client configuration started.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Source path: /Users/admin/Downloads/Kerio Address Book Config Tool.mpkg/Contents/Packages/kms-address-book-config-tool.pkg /Contents/Resources/KMSInstaller/dist/KMSInstaller.app/Conte nts/Resources
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Trying to connect to https://mail.nwktc.edu:443 as penny.nemechek<_at_>nwktc.edu.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Username/password seems to be correct.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] LDAP configuration:
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] OpenSSL configuration started.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Copying certificate to OpenSSL certificate store.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] OpenSSL configuration finished.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] DSLDAPv3PlugIn Version 1.5
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Adding mail.nwktc.edu host name with 636 port to Directory Services.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Finished.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Writing Directory Services configuration.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Creating new Kerio LDAP server entry in Searching Contacts list.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Writing Searching Contacts list configuration.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Finished.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Restarting Directory Services.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] LDAP configuration finished.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Address Book configuration:
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Configuring SSL certificate in keychain.
2010-02-17 20:47:31-0700 [-] Copying certificate to system keychain.
2010-02-17 20:47:32-0700 [-] SSL certificate in keychain configured.
2010-02-17 20:47:32-0700 [-] Configuring password in keychain.
2010-02-17 20:47:39-0700 [-] Setting /Users/admin/Library/Keychains/login.keychain ownership to admin.

It looks like it successfully binds it but has an issue setting keychains.

Thanks!
  •  
pamcct

bcoumerilh wrote on Thu, 18 February 2010 09:29

2010-02-17 20:47:39-0700 [-] Setting /Users/admin/Library/Keychains/login.keychain ownership to admin.

It looks like it successfully binds it but has an issue setting keychains.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's weird but I'm not so sure that's Kerio. I would run the repair keychain utility first. If that doesn't do it then try a cleaner keychain - iow, remove the cert and the ical/addressbook entries. Then reinstall the cert. Then try the config tool again.

In a perfect world, one shouldn't have to do all that. But it's not a perfect world. Confused

Pam
  •  
Lyle M

pmorenongmoco wrote on Thu, 07 January 2010 21:04
I have found a workaround method in order to use Apple Remote Desktop or ARD to deploy the iCal autocomplete feature across a network with several machines. I feel Kerio should implement a solution such as this to help those of us who administer a large network where kicking a user off can be difficult. This is confirmed working in Leopard 10.5.8 as well as Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Here are the steps to my workaround:
*I have had a few Leopard users this did not work on for unknown reasons. The systems did previously have bindings. Note this method will blow out any existing bindings.

1. Create a new user in Kerio admin. For reference I will use "ldapuser". Give it a strong password and possibly restrict mail to it's domain only as well as put a forward on the account so that any mail sent to it won't end up in a mailbox that will never be seen or heard from again.

2. Using a test system & test profile with admin rights go ahead and login to Kerio Webmail and click the Integration with Mac link. Download the Auto-configure iCal (Mac OS X 10.5 and later) tool. Use your ldapuser credentials.

3. Install the tool using your ldapuser credentials...
[...]
If anybody has anything to add to this I would appreciate it!

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=16555&got o=66206&S=8f1a906940127ead1f5df1eab5351531#msg_66206
Previous Topic: Populating GAL with other info than accounts?
Next Topic: Mixed up addresses in Apple Address Book - anyone also had this?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 12:07:47 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07129 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.