Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio on a VPS?
  •  
stevewm

Send a private message to this user
I have been looking for a nice email/groupware alternative for my company for quite some time now. Exchange was never a possibility due to cost and the fact we do not have a Active Directory in place, and most likely never will. I found Kerio and like what I am seeing so far. However we simply do not have the bandwidth available to run a mailserver in house. So I was looking into a VPS instead.

I am looking to run Kerio on a VPS. (Ubuntu 8.04, 2GB RAM, 80GB disk) We will have around 65 users, probably 35 or so will use the Outlook connector, the rest will be webmail.

As a company we are not particularly email heavy, our heaviest users probably only send/receive 40 messages a day. However we do get a incredible amount of spam thanks to our current email provider's inadequate filters.

I have a few questions.....

How does the Outlook Connector perform when the server is not locally accessed?

Is Kerio sutible for running on a VPS with the amount of users we are planning?
  •  
My IT Indy

You probably can run on a VPS with that many users, but many VPS's don't scale well with storage space. I used Linode to host KMS for a year or so for a client and it worked well, but we ran out of storage and the cost to expand it was cost prohibitive.

Check your PM, I sent you some info.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
elias

stevewm wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 09:20

However we simply do not have the bandwidth available to run a mailserver in house. So I was looking into a VPS instead.

<SNIP>

As a company we are not particularly email heavy, our heaviest users probably only send/receive 40 messages a day.

I'm confused by your bandwidth limitation. Email is generally pretty bandwidth light, especially given the volume you're talking about. The bandwidth need by Kerio's Outlook Connector will far exceed the bandwidth needed for the email itself. The same is true with Webmail. If you think about a user clicking on messages in webmail, you easily have a situation where that user is reading the same email over and over as they navigate. So in terms of bandwidth, you're transmitting that message several times whereas if you hosted your own server, it would only have been once.

If bandwidth is your concern, then hosting your own server is a much more efficient choice.

-Elias
  •  
stevewm

elias wrote on Wed, 29 July 2009 13:43

I'm confused by your bandwidth limitation. Email is generally pretty bandwidth light, especially given the volume you're talking about. The bandwidth need by Kerio's Outlook Connector will far exceed the bandwidth needed for the email itself. The same is true with Webmail. If you think about a user clicking on messages in webmail, you easily have a situation where that user is reading the same email over and over as they navigate. So in terms of bandwidth, you're transmitting that message several times whereas if you hosted your own server, it would only have been once.

If bandwidth is your concern, then hosting your own server is a much more efficient choice.

-Elias

It makes sense when you consider our current arrangement.

Our business is spread out over 7 locations. Our main office only has access to ADSL with 768kbps upload. We are already running a few other internal (web based) applications over this line. The majority of our users will not be local to the main office, and as with anything web based, webmail traffic is more outbound than inbound. Performance would not be optimal on a 768kbps line.

I have investigated other connectivity options, however they are either not available, or cost prohibitive.
  •  
stewie

There's a lot to consider & not enough info to give a good recommendation.

If you have users spread across multiple locations, a hosted solution is a good option. (There are companies that provide hosted Kerio & Exchange solutions, BTW.) But if you're in one building, go with your own server. You could consider adding a Barracuda spam appliance in front of Kerio & that'll stop 95% of all spam, or use a hosted spam filter & avoid the spam bandwidth altogether.

Which leads me to Google apps. I strongly recommend this option for most any organization. Their spam filtering alone makes it worthy of consideration, & there's so many benefits for those willing to adopt more of a web-based model.

Good luck!
Previous Topic: Login logo
Next Topic: HTC HERO calendar Syncronisation
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 00:37:10 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.