Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Fault Tolerance KMS at 2 locations (Any stategy's available for synchronizing mail store & accounts at 2 offices)
  •  
jwahau

Send a private message to this user
hello all,
I am looking at setting up a pair of KMS & I am trying to work out a strategy to synchronize mail between a pair of KMS's located at different network and geographic locations.
Thus in the event of a catastrophic failure the 2nd mailserver steps in to handle load until primary is replaced.
Easy enough on same subnet but not so easy on a different network Confused
Any idea's, regards jwahau
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

Some things you could do, depended on the needs of your company.
Next to this, synchronization has been talked about here a lot.

1. File a feature request with Kerio in order to have an supported synchronization method between KMS servers. (Always a good idea, if more customers want such a feature it might get implemented)

2. Setup a daily or hourly backup schedule, and transfer this backup (of KMS files) off-site. In case of emergency just restore the backup to a new or temporary server and you should be good to go.

3. Create a live file synchronization between two servers, perhaps via VPN. Slight problem with this setup is, that you can't run both servers at the same time or you will definitely get problems.

And search a little bit around on the forums, as it has been talked about in the past.

Good Luck
  •  
stewie

One option is to setup a cron job to periodically rsync the Kerio folder. We rsync the Kerio settings weekly & the message store each day at midnight. rsync is very efficient & we could probably sync every 5-10 minutes but that's overkill for us.

We do not run Kerio on the backup unless there's a failure. If there is, then we shutdown the primary server, then change the IP address of the backup server to the primary server's address. Start Kerio & we're back up & running.

This is sufficient for our needs but may not be the appropriate solution for you. (BTW, we have 50 users & our mail store is around 300 GB.)

Good luck.
  •  
cwachs

I've been poking around the forums for answers to questions like this and have not found the answer yet - though it may be my inability to search...

I am running KMS on an OS X 10.5 server. I am syncing the entire mailstore directory to a 2nd machine as a backup.

My plan is, in the event of a catastrophic server failure on server 1, I change the IP's on server 2 to match server 1 (since they are in the same colo facility). The mailstore is 23 hours old worse case.

In addition to the mailstore directory, what file(s) should I be backing up? Should I be backing up /usr/local/kerio/ as well? If so, in the event of a failure, can I simply change IP's on machine 2 and start-up Kerio server? I feel like I'm missing a major step here.

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
p0ddie

Just my idea abut this w/o putting much thought in it:

write a daemon that watches the mailstore on the main server - as soon as a file is changed, it will be copied over to the backup server. Yes, that will keep the servers busy and produce a lot of traffic, but since both servers are at the same colo, this should be no bandwidth problem.

Then, set up the second server with a lower priority MX record. If the main server fails, the clients will automatically jump to the secondary server.
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

Perhaps kerio could build in some features to do this without any problems.

If some kind of two-way server synchronization is possible, it might even be possible to distribute load among multiple servers.

As client synchronization already exist, why wouldn't server to server synchronization not be possible?
  •  
trond.hansen@mactivity.no

p0ddie wrote: ..."Then, set up the second server with a lower priority MX record. If the main server fails, the clients will automatically jump to the secondary server."

If p0ddie by client mean those who have mailboxes on the server, I don't think this will work. The server name used in the client (koc / entourage/ apple mail..) is not checked against the mx-record.

But other mailservers will route the mail to your secondary mailserver by checking the mx-record and use it when your primary mailserver is unavailable.

Previous Topic: Radius authentication for WebMail access
Next Topic: PostBox Compatibility
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 08:29:41 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00476 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.