Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Gradual migration from Exchange to Kerio (Way to use SMTP namespaces to keep mail access up?)
  •  
topher1078

Send a private message to this user
Howdy all (first post!),

I'm going to be doing a migration from Exchange 2003 to Kerio hosted on a Mac server. Was wondering if anyone out there had tips for the best way to do it from a user perspective. While I only have five users, each has relatively large mail store so I'm expecting the migration itself to take at least over night. I was reading on the interwebs and found that some people use SMTP namespaces and forwarding to keep mail up and running during a migration - basically migrating one user at a time and forwarding emails to the server running at the moment. But I could not find any details on how to implement such as a system. Because my email stores are so large, I'd like to do one at a time so I can monitor everything and avoid snags. Plus, having uniterrupted access would be wonderful, as some of my users despise being cut off even for a few minutes!

Anyone have any advice on setting up this system, or have any suggestions on other things I could do to make the Exchange => Kerio migration go as smoothly as possible? Thanks!
  •  
My IT Indy

If you want to do one at a time you can have KMS deliver non-deliverable email to another server, so specify your Exchange server under Domains->Forwarding.

That will continue to deliver mail to your old users at the old server.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
calvarez

I am going to be migrating around 45 users from Exchange. I'd like to do it slowly, and it seems to make the most sense to forward mail from Exchange to Kerio, since that's already the SMTP gateway. Does that make sense? If so, what's the best way to go about this process?
  •  
MrTubz

I done the same thing about a year ago, complete migration from Communigate Mail Server to Kerio. Traditionally I would have tried to port everyone over at once but there were two many users, and too many chances for it to go wrong....

Instead I just used the following steps and it all seemed to go pretty smoothly.

• Setup KMS and ensure everything is working correctly.

• As Hoosier said, go to Domains -> Forwarding and set it to forward email for users not on the Kerio mailserver to you old Exchange Server.

• Next configure you MX records to have your new mail server at a lower priority than exchange. You can then change the DNS A record at a later date to something your perfer.

i.e new.mailserver.com 5
old.mailserver.com 10

this will deliver emails to you Kerio first, if the user is not found then Kerio will forward them to your exchange server.

• now begin migrating your users. Add a user, configure their account on the email client, copy mail from the exchange account to the Kerio Account and hey presto. Alternatively port each user account using the Exchange migration tool if you feel brave..... Smile

Point to note though you will need to have two DNS A Records one for the old server and one for the new server, they cannot be identical. once migration is completed then you can remove the one for the old server.

I done my migration over 2 months, had no real issues and always had the ability to regress back to the old one if we had an issue.

If you have any queries regarding setup let me know and ill explain further.

•  
calvarez

Sure, all of that is easy, but one thing remains that I can't figure out... How do you get Exchange to forward e-mails for people who are now on the Kerio server? It assumes it owns all accounts for the domain.

As far as the MX records, no need to change if you're using a NAT firewall; just redirect the port to the new server. This also prevents spam filter issues when reverse DNS changes.
  •  
MrTubz

not sure how to change Exchange im afraid, never really used it that much. The magical powers of Google may be able to help or just contact Kerio Support, if your migrating away from Exchange im sure they have done this several times in the way described below so should be able to help.

They are generally very friendly and helpful.

•  
macparamedic

I'm wondering how the migration of individual users went from Exchange to KMS.

I'm planning to do something similar this week and I'm seeking advice or warnings.

Here is the project -

I run KMS for about 15 users. Two of the users have their mail forwarded to a hosted Exchange 2003 server. Now, I want to move all of their data (intact!) from the hosted exchange and back into their existing accounts on KMS 6.7.3.

The Kerio Migration Tool seems to be for moving an entire Exchange server into Kerio Connect. That's not what I want to do. I launched the tool and it asked me for administrative access to the Exchange server. That's not possible because somebody else owns the server (Intermedia.net) and they won't let me have any access outside the accounts I control. I have a test account setup that is populated with some data so I can sandbox the process before I actually mess with real important data.

Before I start the real project, I plan to set KMS to keep copies of the forwarded mail, so any new mail will be on KMS.

But how do I get the existing user data from Exchange to Kerio?

Suggestions? Warnings? Experiences?

tia,
-Larry
  •  
calvarez

The tool does do individual accounts, however, I have no idea how you could get around the admin password part. When I used it I gave it the admin login and it presented me with a list of all accounts. I then selected one or a few and moved them.

If you're only doing two accounts, why not just use Entourage or Outlook or whatever client you use to sync all the data, then connect to the KMS server, and copy/paste all the data?
  •  
macparamedic

Thanks so much for the reply and advice. I eventually may try what you suggest.

My initial reservation is the time that such a copy/paste operation could take. The two servers are connected via the WAN. There is a few GB of data on one of the accounts and the accounts are very active nearly all the time. One of the users is very demanding and can be difficult.

Also, I believe that Outlook will only permit me to have one Exchange account at a time, so it might be difficult to copy/paste from one Outlook Exchange account (Intermedia) to another (Kerio). Entourage will permit multiple Exchange accounts, but Entourage seems to have a truncated feature set. I am worried that at the end of a long and tedious migration the user will be missing some important data in the migrated set.

I do have a support request into Kerio for advice on this procedure, but I'm afraid it might be brute force time. I was hoping that there might be another way that is faster or more elegant.

Thanks again and if any more ideas occur, I'm very interested.

-Larry

•  
calvarez

The best way to deal with difficult users is to tell them what they will do in order to enable you to help them. "When you can log off for four hours, let me know and I'll migrate your data."

You can only have one Exchange account. You will get all the data and put it in a PST, remove the account, add the KMS account, and copy all the data from the PST. There's nothing inherently wrong with this procedure, and I don't think it will take any longer than using the migration tool.
  •  
macparamedic

Thanks for your assistance.

So all of the user data on the Exchange server is cached in the Outlook.pst file that resides on the client machine?

So, if I understand your suggestion correctly, the steps might be something like this -

1. Stop the forwarding from KMS to the hosted Exchange
1a. Take the client off line.
2. Copy the outlook.pst file
3. Make a new Outlook user that points to the user's account on KMS
4. Populate the new Outlook account with the data from the pst file.
3. Take the client online and let it push up to KMS.

Am I on the right track here?

thanks again
- Larry
  •  
calvarez

Yes, that sounds good, just some details on the PST file... In normal operation Outlook creates an OST file, and I believe that you can't open that once you remove the Exchange connection. So you create a personal folders (PST) file from the File menu in Outlook. Copy all the main items there (Contacts, Calendar, Mail). Disconnect from Exchange and connect to KMS, copy the items from the PST into the new "Exchange" server (KMS).

If it fails, you've lost nothing but some time.
  •  
macparamedic

Just a follow up to advise about what I did to migrate from hosted Exchange to Kerio.

I wound up setting up an Entourage client with both Exchange and Kerio accounts. Entourage, unlike Outlook, will let you have two Exchange servers running in one mail account.

Since I could see and navigate both accounts simultaneously, I just dragged the mail, contacts and calendar items from the hosted Exchange over to the Kerio account. It worked fine for the most part. The Outlook notes didn't show up in Entourage, and the Outlook distribution lists need to be recreated, but it worked well enough. Entourage went apparently non-responsive and I just had to wait it out, but it eventually moved the files.

Then, I deleted the existing Outlook account and recreated it, pointing to the Kerio server.

I'm able to access the missing distribution lists on the Exchange machine by accessing Exchange via web browser, and creating the lists directly in the Outlook client pointed at Kerio.

I did run into one hairball with one particular mail folder that had a very long and weird name. Entourage would move it to the server and it would apparently see it, but the folder didn't show up on the web interface into Kerio, nor in the Outlook client pointed at Kerio. I worked around it by making a folder with a short dummy name and moving the mail files into the temporarily named folder, then renaming it in Outlook after it showed up. One assumes that there may be naming conventions that were violated.
Previous Topic: Problem with Leopard and Mac OS X server based directories
Next Topic: KMS admin console left open with SUSE 11
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 12:33:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00466 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.