Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » KWF with 1 Internet, 2 LAN interfaces (TokenRing and Ethernet)
  •  
jelzinga

Send a private message to this user
As topic describes:

Internet NIC, having Static IP 192.168.0.2
LAN NIC (Ethernet) having Static IP 10.199.0.2
LAN NIC (TokenRing) having Static IP 10.0.0.2

I configured all NIC's manually, made sure the Subnets for both LAN NIC's are exclusive. Internet works properly on server and works properly on the LAN behind 10.199.0.2

Unfortunately, only 1 LAN NIC is visible in the Trusted/Local Interface-group. The other LAN NIC is not visible. Furthermore, only the Internet NIC and the (working) LAN NIC have a Kerio Winroute Firewall service assigned to them in the Network Properties of the card. I'm assuming because 1 NIC doesn't have a Kerio Winroute Firewall service, I cannot do anything with that NIC in Kerio.

Is there any way to get that NIC working in Kerio. I know Tokenring is old, but some legacy-devices we use still require it. The Tokenring-card seems to be working OK.

Let me know if you need any more details.

•  
Jan Jezek (Kerio)

I am sorry to disappoint you but KWF does not support tokenring. Its support has been dropped long time ago.

Jan Jezek
Product Development Manager - Kerio Control
Kerio Technologies
  •  
jelzinga

Ok, that's sad news, we must look for another solution then.

Regardless, what makes Tokenring so 'different' compared to Ethernet? From my (very limited) knowledge, it's only a different connector and physical infrastructure, what makes it so different from the routing and adressing and such KWF needs to do that it dropped support ? The Tokenring-NIC still has a normal bindings for the rest (IPv4; normal IP-address, Subnet and Gateway).
  •  
winkelman

jelzinga wrote on Mon, 03 August 2009 22:13

Ok, that's sad news, we must look for another solution then.

Regardless, what makes Tokenring so 'different' compared to Ethernet? From my (very limited) knowledge, it's only a different connector and physical infrastructure, what makes it so different from the routing and adressing and such KWF needs to do that it dropped support ? The Tokenring-NIC still has a normal bindings for the rest (IPv4; normal IP-address, Subnet and Gateway).

I think if Kerio were simply into IP routing it wouldn't have made a difference. IP over TokenRing is exactly the same as over Ethernet. The application using the IP layer doesn't even have to know what transport layer is used.

But... Kerio implements some low-level drivers to speed up and better analyse the packets and at that point they probably do have to write specific code for Ethernet or TokenRing. And the latter they don't/won't support...

Up until a year ago I still had a TokenRing segment. We used a Cisco 2612 router/bridge to connect the TokenRing segment to the Ethernet. Thus the TokenRing network could benefit/use the Kerio Firewall to go onto the Internet, because the packets where first transported from the Tokenring to Ethernet and thus Kerio never had direct contact with TokenRing. Like:

Internet <-> Kero WF <-> Ethernet <-> Cisco bridge <-> TokenRing

I still have the Cisco 2612 stored, unused. Interested?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/ps263/i ndex.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/Other/Hardware/h11501-12000/h11 582.jpg
Previous Topic: STaR -> 'No weeks periods for this month defined.'
Next Topic: Block a vpn user,But he still online
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 16:05:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00388 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.