Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS performance in VMware (Will I get I big performance drop by virtualizing KMS?)
  •  
renefn

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

We're currently running our KMS on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 III with dual Xeon E5440 2,8 GHz processors, 16 GB RAM and 12 15K SAS disks in 3 separate RAID 1+0 running on a PERC/6i controller. The OS is Window Server 2003 Enterprise.

The machine was bought for running MS SQL 2005 and is partitioned for that, but the SQL server was never really under the load that the machine was configured for and has been running KMS perfectly on one of the partitions.

Now the SQL server is no longer needed and my wish has been to either repartition the disks for one RAID1 for the OS and one RAID1+0 for KMS mailstore and use it solely for KMS. On the other hand that might be overkill and we're already running a couple of VMware ESXi servers, so it would be really nice if I could install ESXi on this server and run KMS in a virtualized environment together with several other VM's.

Can I expect at noticeable performance hit or should this server be fast enough for this purpose? I believe so, but would like to hear from others that are running KMS in a VM.

We have around 90 mailboxes, with around 60 users on KOFF and 30 on Entourage. The mailstore is around 150GB.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 August 2009 08:57]

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
My IT Indy

You need fast disk access for Kerio. If you don't have disk intensive VM's your install should be fine. I've got a client with 200 users in their KMS install on a PowerEdge 2650 running ESXi and a few lightweight VM's for other tasks and there's no problem.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
renefn

Hi,

My intention was to format all the drives as one big RAID1+0 and then install ESXi on top of that. All other VM's that I would place on this server would of course not be disk intensive VM's.

From what I understand then ESXi 4 (vSphere) should have much faster disk access than ESXi 3.5 that we're currently using.

So your guess is that I wouldn't loose much disk speed by virtualising?

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
My IT Indy

You should be fine.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
tek_san

Just read my 2 cents over here:
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=61117&S =20c6c930f1796bf4fa0a30e5cf45b6c3#msg_61117
in short:
I would not go back to a physical KMS System as it performs very well in our virtual environment.
regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
renefn

That's a nice description of your setup and it looks like it's possible to run KMS in a VM.

The difference between our setups is that we're just running on the free ESXi. I know it's not a perfect solution, but it's a start until I can get the funding for one of the licenses with better backup and perhaps some HA. We create backups of the guest OS'es and their files like it was a bare-iron installation so we're not really more sensitive to hardware failure than if we weren't virtualizing.

We're also using the disks inside the host and not a fibre-channel og iSCSI solution, but I guess that performance-wise that's a good thing. The disks in this server are pretty fast and the controller is the best that Dell offers. I am looking for an iSCSI solution though.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
Mozilla77

You should have no problem. I'm using sata drives for my storage and I'm using Server 2008 for my VM host with the Kerio VM appliance. I have around 50 users, 100 GB mailstore and have had no performance issues, nobody even knew that I moved it originally from Windows over to linux. There are 5 other VMs running on a 2 dual core system once of which is Windows DFS and everything still runs solid.
  •  
renefn

Mozilla77: Nice to know. We don't have any performance issues right now and the service is practically idle, and I don't plan to put many VM's on it together with Kerio, so I suspect that it will work fine.

I was mostly worried about disk performance in a VM, but it seems that others aren't having problems with that.

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
Previous Topic: Secure Password Authentication (SPA) - Solution!
Next Topic: 10.5.8 iCal not sending cancellation messages
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 17:49:34 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00486 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.