Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » how to block limewire in a specific user using kerio firewall
  •  
pryll

Send a private message to this user
At work, I have a windows based network supported by a Win 2003 Server. I also have a KERIO WINROUTE Firewall, with a PLDT small biz senior empire DSL that provides internet access to all my users. Of my 48 users, all of them are running on Win XP machines.
Most of our daily tasks involve simple file sharing between the file server and the user workstations. In addition to file sharing, we also perform a online transaction in other company using the internet.

Recently, I have noticed that a few of my users have downloaded LimeWire and are using this program to download files during regular work hour's, robbing the network of precious bandwidth. In addition, Antivirus logs indicate an increase in Adware and spyware hits, which I attribute to the increase in LimeWire use.

Is there any way I can use my Kerio Winroute Firewall to block limewire from running, or allowing my users to download files using Limewire? Due to the nature of our corporate policy, users are allowed to download chat programs like MSN or Yahoo messenger, but are not supposed to use file sharing software over the corporate network. Therefore, any solution should allow MSN to run, but prevent LimeWire from running and downloading files.

Any assistance will be highly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 August 2009 02:29]

•  
RHarmsen.nl

I guess you are better of by blocking the specific .exe file from running through group policy's.

You could block the standard used LimeWire ports, but this will not stop people from downloading.

By preventing LimeWire from running you are able to stop it.
  •  
pryll

what if the end user already installed the limewire on der laptop or pc.. i forgot to say that we have a wi-fi too. most of the clients are doctors and executives. i dont have the gutz to remove that application from der laptop. can you help me how to block that P2P program using kerio firewall.

thankz in advance.
  •  
JGALT

Under Advanced Options > P2P Eliminator you can enable / disable P2P access. If you click on the Advanced button on the p2p eliminator page, you can further add ports to be blocked that will let kerio think that these are p2p ports.

In my case, i would add an additional port range of Port 8000 to 65535 to be blocked by the P2P eliminator. Just make sure you are not using any program or website that requires access to these ports. If not, you may encounter access / connection problems to these sites.

Also I agree with specifying the limewire.exe file in the GPO on the list of programs not allowed to run. Also did that to further prevent users from using it. When doing this, ensure that you included in your list of "inherited" users a group that even laptops or non-domain machines are included in this GPO rule...such as "Authenticated Users" or the all-powerful "Everyone" group.
  •  
pryll

it workz.. now, i have more control of my network.. thankz a lot guyz.. god bless..
Previous Topic: Migration from Kerio Winroute Firewall to Kerio Linroute Firewall
Next Topic: neeeed help quikly plz :((
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 24 06:19:33 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00463 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.