Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Enhanced Mail Service (Enhanced mail providers)
  •  
itslnet

Send a private message to this user
I have a customer who wants to receive his mail directly to his mailserver rather than polling the ISP but is concerned about mail bouncing back to senders if his mailserver goes down for any reason. Can anybody recommend any enhaced mail providers who will collect and forward mail from the ISP to their mailserver provided it is online but will store it if it goes off line until such time as it comes back up.
  •  
TorW

DynDNS has a backup MX service: http://www.dyndns.com/services/mailhop/backupmx.html. I can't say anything useful about neither them nor anyone else since we've never had any use for backup MX services.

On the other hand, acting as a backup MX for someone is quite easy and takes very little investment. Build an open source mail server on an old iron and set aside plenty of disk space for the queue. The rest is 98% automatic. Free money IMHO.

Oh, well ...
  •  
subnet

Hi Itslnet,

You can create 2 Mx records. with two different priorities for eg.
Mx.example.com = 10 ( Your Mail Server )
Mx1.example.com = 20 ( Pop3 Accounts on an external Hosted Server )

In kerio Mail Server you create your pop3 accounts that can check your external pop accounts at specific times.

So whenever somebody sends an email its gonna check for your Mx records. If mx.example.com is available your email will be directly received by your KMS. If for some reason your Internet connection / or something happened with your KMS all mails send to your domain will be delivered on your external Pop3 accounts because Mx.example.com is unavailable.

Don;t forget to create an reverse Look up Name for your Ip, otherwise you can get some issues when you send emails. Your ISP can help you with that.

I have this running in my organization and its working smoothly.

Regards,

Cliff
  •  
anthony.somerset

i use dyndns for backup MX and cant fault it

all you do is sign up for the domain you want a backup mx for
pay (obviously) its about $40 a year
change your mx records so that

the highest priority server is your mail server or servers
and then add the dyndns backup mx as a lower priority mx record

and thats it all you have to do is renew it every year

you can set some spam filtering up on the backup mx which is really useful for eliminating spam also the options are pretty similar to kerio actually

the way it works is that if your server is down for whatever reason it will recieve mail for your domain, it will try to send/forward it on (if it passes its spam checks) to your mail server, while its down it wont get a connection but it will just keep trying at regular intervals until it connects and delivers. and it will store and hold mail for about a week

ok in dns it wont look pretty because it will be
mx 10 yourmailserver.com
mx 20 mailhop.org (not the actual address as i cant remember)

but its miles better that trying the set your server as primary and set your isp as secondary - i have tried this and its just a bag of hurt and you get more spam as a result (remember spam filters aren't as good on pop downloads as some of the important headers for spam tagging are normally stripped by pop3)

reverse pointers (aka reverse lookups) are vitally important for many mail servers as they will (mostly) assume that because your reverse pointer isnt set that you are on a dynamic ip and for the most part servers communicating as a mail server does (not a client) from dynamic ip's are generally spammers and then refuse to accept your mail this is especially true as ISP's generally set reverse pointers up in the same format regardless of them being static to a user or dynamic from a pool meaning that more often than not no one can tell if your ip is static or not

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
bigmountain

This is a service we offer through Big Mountain. We not only host Kerio, but also can provide backup store and forward services if you host your own mail server. Our service will also include spam and virus filtering with daily (or hourly) quarantine reports to each individual user, preventing your administrator from having to sort through a report containing everyone's quarantined mail. You may contact me directly at jon<_a.t_>bigmountaindesign.com if you are interested. I would be happy to provide you a trial or answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you!

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
dougk

Chiming in to say we use DynDns' "Mail Hop" service and can't fault it. We haven't had our mail server fail yet but for the price if it does as advertised then it really is very good. Comparable service at Message Labs was going to be about £1000/year.
  •  
itslnet

Thanks guys for taking the trouble to reply. It gives me someyhing to think about.

Col B
Previous Topic: Update to 6.7.1 on Debian
Next Topic: webmail and IIS
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 15:27:39 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00427 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.