Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » which os for kms? VMware, ubuntu, suse, centos
  •  
horsti

Send a private message to this user
As you see at my post a few days before i´m testing kms for using it instead of KEN!
I think i´ll switch the Mailserver to KMS...

But i´m not shure which Version i should use, or what adavantages there are.
Should i use the complete VMware image, install centos, ubuntu or suse and install kms manually?

Why is the vmware image installed with centos and not prepared with ubuntu for example? is cent os better than ubuntu for kms....
Windows would be ok, too.

We´ll use XenServer/ VMware Server 2 and 100 Users, but only 20 user with Outlook. The others will use webmail access.

Please tell me what to use...
  •  
My IT Indy

I would use whatever OS you are most comfortable with and install it on that. It's all the same on whatever OS you're running it on.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
anthony.somerset

if your using vmware server i would stick with the vmware image purely due to the fact it is all preset and good to go (no dependencies etc)

however i personally reccomend debian overall, as i find its footprint is generally smaller than using centos - i install minimal and just install the needed dependancies to get mailserver running and then admin from another machine

rule number 1 though, make sure you use a supported OS (goes without saying really)
rule number 2 (as hoosiermac says)use what your most comfortable with/experienced with

all i am waiting for is for kerio to setup there own micro debian repository for kerio mail server to make updates as simple as

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Very Happy

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
masterswitch IT

Horsti,
We have had excellent results with ubuntu on 100+ user sites.
No serious issues with windows either. Go with what your most familiar with.

my .02

Casey Cunningham
masterswitch IT
  •  
hbianchi

I'm running a 680 users KMS over RHEL 5.3 (Red Hat) without any noticeable problem. Hardware is a Dual processor quad core Xeon. No matter KMS is not prepared for 64 bits it works fine in 64 bits environment (to Kerio: when do you expect to have te 64 bits version?) and peripheral processes, spam assessin, smtp, antivirus take full advantage of parallel processing.

Only outstanding problems (some issues with huge public folder attachments9 , already reported to Kerio, were also present in previous Windows 2003 Server environment.
Previous Topic: iPhone Documents To Go
Next Topic: No access in iCal in 10.6 Dev Preview
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 17:50:32 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00642 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.