Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio Mail Server on Slow Leopard Server
  •  
Mac Aid

Send a private message to this user
I know there has been extensive discussion about the client version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Kerio compatibility.

Unfortunately, I'm forced to upgrade a site running Kerio to Snow Leopard in the next week or so (they are currently running 10.5 10 user server, and need unlimited).

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with snow leopard server upgrade? There will be no 10.6 clients on the network at this stage.

will it;

a. not work at all
b. work with some reliability or other specific problems
c. work with no known problems, or
d. no-one has tested it at all.

Also, will the upgrade process itself break kerio? Am I better off backing up, removing it, doing the upgrade, then installing Kerio and restoring the mail store? (assuming Kerio works at all on 10.6 server)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason.
  •  
My IT Indy

If it's not listed as compatible, why do it? You might consider running VMWare Fusion in SL Server and then run CentOS as your KMS install. Or use your Leopard Server license as the KMS install inside a VM.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
topher1078

I'm very curious to the status of Snow Leopard Server as well regarding Kerio, so if you find anything out please let us know! Been dying to install 10.6 Server since it was announced, and would really like to know what the estimated timetable is for Kerio and 10.6 server.
  •  
anthony.somerset

i would make a guess that the server side should be ok, with the exception of directory syncing.

i havent got a spare server handy or a copy of SL server to test this, but purely due to the fact that all the software works on sl client(with the exception of caldav) which is an SL client issue, i would be totally surprised if kerio has only power pc code (universal is understandable) i would reccomend if you really have to install direct, make sure rosetta is installed, otherwise best option is the vmware option.

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
anthony.somerset

i have managed to free up an iMac so that i can test SL server

while testing i shall try testing Kerio Mail Server

bear in mind that kerio already state
that Snow Leopard Server is officially NOT SUPPORTED

cant stress this enough but thought i would release my results anyway when i have them

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
anthony.somerset

just installed

server is running fine and everything operates

HOWEVER there is no authentication so you cannot login to anything whether it be admin, webmail or IMAP it will just come back authentication failed, this could be my setup but i doubt it because its a vanilla SL Server install connected to our directory with a vanilla kerio server install so there should be no settings in the system

this will be why you CANNOT upgrade to SL server until kerio release an update

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
Mac Aid

Thanks heaps for the info. What I have elected to do is find another machine (an iMac as it happens) to run as a temporary mail server until they get it sorted.

Here's hoping it's soon.

Thanks again,

Jason
  •  
anthony.somerset

please dont tell me you upgraded a production machine to SL server on day 1 Confused ouch

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
Mac Aid

I haven't yet but I will next week.

Not my choice but sometimes you don't have a choice.
  •  
anthony.somerset

best option is install virtual box on SL server and run kerio in a VM there, i think you can mount a network share in debian that connects to the existing mailstore on your server direct

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
Mac Aid

Thanks, but I think I'll install kerio on the iMac, back up the mail store before the SL upgrade, then restore it to the iMac.

Once kerio is patched, I can then do the reverse.

Cheers,

Jason
  •  
anthony.somerset

yeah, use rsync it will be quicker to move the directories between machines

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
varnent

Mac Aid wrote on Wed, 02 September 2009 08:02
I haven't yet but I will next week.

Not my choice but sometimes you don't have a choice.

I can empathize with that. I've been getting a little annoyed at the talk of being crazy for having to roll 10.6 out on a production unit(s) in the first month.

No offense folks, but I don't try and pretend like I know all the unique dynamics of your agency's needs/configuration/etc. - so please don't make those assumptions about anyone else's needs. The backseat IT driving is both annoying and not constructive or productive.
  •  
gatti

Whoever is pushing 10.6 server on a production machine is crazy. It was just released last week. I hope they are looking forward to some fun bugs and glitches.
anthony.somerset

indeed, again we only manage our respective systems not everyone elses at the end of the day

its taken me 12 months and a few restructures to have the influence and sway to say that we are not upgrading clients for at least one month ideally until the 10.6.1 update and later with the server where i am, so i can understand when peoples hands are tied

i am glad however that apple tend to do a good job generally, i guess because its based on unix half the work has been done already over the years Wink

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
Previous Topic: Edit reply/forward message in FireFox
Next Topic: IMPORTANT: Service Pack 2 for MS Outlook 2007
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 09:50:13 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00527 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.