Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » how to forward the mail from kerio to exchange
  •  
lefyou

Send a private message to this user
hey guys :

Now i have a problem,we have just deploy the exchange in our company,and now we deploy a kerio mail server and hosting it to make sure that our mail system will run normally.As you know the kerio will use the accounts form the active directory.

I would like to know how can i forward the mail from kerio to exchange after the exchange server good running again .For some reason the electricity may be cut off and we have to shutdown the exchange server.

Maybe i have not expressed it clearly .

•  
anthony.somerset

my 2 cents

is just do away with exchange server, it will save you a lot of money compared to kerio, especially if kerio is already setup and running

i would also assume that if you run servers you have Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) so electricity shouldn't be a problem for more than a few mins without electricity

you can forward mail from one server to another no problem, your best bet is use the forwarding option in the domains tab, and tell kerio to forward to your exchange server if a mailbox is not found on the kerio server that way you can migrate back to exchange and as each user is migrated you switch off from kerio

in terms of moving mail thats much trickier the only way i know of is manual and time consuming, and also the only automatic tools are for moving exchange to kerio not the other way around

i would really reccomend just staying with kerio though. if you have electrical issues that mean UPS' cant cope (eg long outtages) you should have a backup mx/mailserver somewhere outside.

i know personally of a service run by DynDNS also a member of this forum runs Big Mountain which can do similar backup mail servers as well

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
lefyou

thanks for answering.
we now have ups already,but the cut off the electricity maybe last several days ,maybe 2 or 3 days. so we should hosting a mail server outside to make sure the mail service continuously.
as you know i can set the primary mx for the exchange server and the secondary for the kerio mail server. so ,at these days i can use the kerio to send or receive the mails.
when the exchange offer service again , i hope kerio would send the mails that was sent or received during the exchange server is out of service to the exchange server .
i know we can use the option in kerio "send the mail to other server when kerio can't find the receivers". but as i choose this option we can't offer the mail service when the exchange is out of service.
thanks again.
  •  
anthony.somerset

my reccomendation if you have such major outtages like these is to get your email service hosted, people like HoosierMac here do such a service

if kerio is outside and doesnt suffer from such outtages because of electricity i would use that as my mail service, the big issue is how do you configure your client machines? do you have the account on each server configured or do you have to reconfigure each time

the way you want to do things you cant actually do, you want to be able to send and recieve when the primary server is down and then when primary comes back online the secondary sends all of its mail back to primary, this can only do this if it keeps the mail in its queue to forward back to the primary, if it goes into an inbox or is sent from yourself it will be classified as delivered so nothing will be done with it when the primary exchange server comes online.

theoretically you could do something if you had 2 kerio servers(1 primary and 1 secondary) but it would be a manual process when the primary went offline and when it came back online.

also remember that having to power your server on and off constantly will shorten its life, most are designed to be run 24/7 with minimum shut downs, this is especially true if you are unable to safely shut down the machine (ie the UPS battery runs down and the machine just powers off with no shut down procedure) - in all the time i have run the xserve at work in 3 years i have only shut it down completely 3 times, once for a hardware upgrade, once for a new server rack and lastly to move the rack into a new location, i know of one that has been shut down many more times and they had to replace the primary boot disk last week (hooray for regular backups!)

really though the best option that would save you most money and give you the most reliable and simple running is a hosted kerio solution where the people you pay to provide the service have to worry about power and they place there servers in a more robust location. or use something like Google Apps for your email

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
lefyou

thanks
i would like to use microsoft active directory to offer the account service .the exchange and kerio will share the account in the active directory.it seems i just have to host the machines outside to make sure that the mail service online .
well,you are a good guy. we appreciate that you offer so much help . thanks again.
  •  
anthony.somerset

remember all that active directory provides is account logon sync no way of syncing mail between the server

hosting your mail outside should be able to sync to active directory - provided that firewall rules are set, the only problem is that if you have electric problems and your active directory server goes down, your external server will be useless as it will be unable to authenticate your login with the active directory server, making your secondary server a bit useless unless it is just acting as a backup (no logins) and forwards mail back to exchange when it comes back online

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
lefyou

it is .we will host a active directory outside with the exchange server .but still ,i don't know whether i will meet another problem, that is the hub & transport role will need the site information ,but we can't not move the schema master outside !then the problem maybe...
of course i have do some test that with a active directory is ok
thanks
  •  
anthony.somerset

what i am saying is if your active directory server will have the same electrical issues as your exchange then when it is offline, kerio wont be able to authenticate, if you can have your active directory available 24/7 you really should be able to have your exchange server available 24/7

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
Previous Topic: Contacts dont appear in outlook
Next Topic: KOFF: Synchronization fails
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Oct 19 09:12:45 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00446 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.