Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Sending mails from Apple Mail to Outlook (Problems with HTML mails)
  •  
renefn

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

This is probably a bit off-topic since it's probably not a Kerio issue, but since KMS is very much targeted against cross-platform companies, then I guess than many of you have the same issues.

The problem is that whenever we send formatted mails from Apple Mail (3.0 and 4.0) to Outlook they very often doesn't look right in Outlook. If there's only text and a signature with a picture, then it works, but when a file is attached or multiple images are embedded, then everything collapses. Everything below the signature is cut off and is presented to the receiver as an attachment called AT****.htm.

I know it's a known issue, but is there really no way around this? I had hoped that Apple had done something about it now that they have built-in Exchange support, because with this issue still around then it won't take many mails in a Windows-centric corporation before the Mac's are going to be thrown out again. It may be that it's actually Outlook that's the culprit here, but since it's kind of a "standard" in corporations then Apple should just play by it rules somehow.

Apple Mail is unbelievable faster than Entourage, but our Mac users are still forced to use Entourage because of this issue. We simply can't have them send out mails internally or externally when the receivers get that messy result.

Has any of you resolved this or any idea of how to solve it?

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
anthony.somerset

complain to microsoft for not being standards compliant

what is worse is that for outlook 2010 they are planning to use the MS word rendering engine which is even worse than it currently is in outlook.

apple is actually playing by the rules standards wise, for reference the following link is a reference to email clients and there compliance to standards including popular webmail clients

http://www.campaignmonitor.com/css/

your only solution is to get people to design email using the limited options that outlook does support (it is possible but makes for very messy code) or use entourage

another possible solution although long winded would be to build your email in a html editor, open the file in safari and then clickfile>mail contents of this page or click command and I (letter i for indigo) this should fire up mail and produce the html, i would test this though to make certain that it produces the right results

[Updated on: Tue, 01 September 2009 21:11]

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
marcobat

there might be a way but it would requires you researching and testing a bit.
I once had a client that wanted to have a signature in Apple Mail that contained an image and also wanted to allow the recipients to click on the image (leading to their website).
The only way i could think of doing this was to force apple mail to generate a html email, an easy way to do this is to visit a web page with safari and then go file -> Mail Content of this Page. So I created for them a simple html page that included the logo and the proper html tags to allow for the image to be clicked etc... The image was stored and referenced in a public web space (http:// ... ).
This forced Apple Mail to generate a html email, all they had to do is to start typing in top of the image.
Now, to go back to your problem, for what i was reading when I was looking into this possibility there are other ways (possibly using apple script or some third party company or both) to force apple mail to send emails as html which might get you around your problem.
Outlook has many problems with html emails as well, so it might not work either, but it might be worth a search and a few tests...
take care.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 September 2009 22:16]

•  
renefn

Thank you both but unfortunately it's not the reply that I was hoping for Smile

It may well be that Mail is the nice one adhearing to standards and all, but there's also something as a de facto standard and Outlook is one of them. At least in Denmark which is very Microsoft centric there's not many companies that doesn't use Exchange and Outlook, so you just have to be compatible. Heck, that's even why we ourselves are using KMS and not a standard IMAP mailserver. People are used to Outlook connected to an Exchange server.

Our corporate signature includes a logo and that's probably the reason to why Mails from Mail are displayed wrong in Outlook. The simple solution would be to stop using a logo, but the signature has been choosen by top level management and it's working perfectly in Outlook and Entourage, so it would be very difficult to explain why it's bad solution.

I have also tried a HTML signature in mail with a linked image (and not embedded) but that requires all receievers to approve download of that image (when using Outlook and Entourage, and that's not a very elegant solution.

I guess that we're stuck with Entourage and can't take advantage of the speed and elegancy of Mail, iCal and Address Book. Sigh....

Regards,
Rene Frej Nielsen
  •  
whooper

While Configuring outlook if I do not use SSL for outgoing mail server then I get this message.. "Task - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

Do you have any idea???
Previous Topic: Managing Resources via iCal
Next Topic: Can not access admin console
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Oct 17 09:47:17 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00416 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.